Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
help needed.....(Please!!!!)
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 71.35.35.87

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, here is my problem:

I took a bunch of images with a digital camera. Took memory card and put it in computer. Copied the images to hard drive. Opened Photoshop and all images were fine on computer. shut down computer and left with camera and memory cards to go to another possible shoot. Reformated card or deleted images .. and shot more for another shoot.

Went home, turned on computer, all images previously on computer were gone, along with other files in other "folders".

got on the phone with Microsuck. They logged into my computer, using a program that recovers files, the recovered 350 images and some of the other files. They were not in the recycle bin. software moved recovered images to a new folder calle "recovered". Of the 350 images, only 112 would open in photoshop CS2. I now have 238 image files that look like the proper size, have the proper names, but will not open in PSCS2, or any other image viewing software I have.

What I need.....

I need a program that will repair or open image files that are possibly partially messed up or just not opening.

Does anyone have any ideas or can offer any help? I can not re shoot these images as the model is not available for quite awhile.

PLEASE... any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Re: help needed.....(Please!!!!)
Old 09-17-2005, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37804

GreggV is offline IP: 68.0.29.134

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have had much luck with PhotoRescue. You can check out their stuff at
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GreggV Find More Posts by GreggV

Old 09-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
I have had much luck with PhotoRescue. You can check out their stuff at
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I already "rescued" the images..

I tried that program but it didnt work, so I used something else to "recover" or rescue them, now I need to repair them or open them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 09-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.180

WAY out of my league
But -I think Greg ment to try the rescue on your cards IF you did not fill them up again

All I could offer is to try something like dragging and dropping one into any program you think MIGHT open them ( even your web browser)

OR maybe rename the extention to tif / gif / jpeg / jpg / raw and then try to open

OR IMPORT into a program

Just trying to help
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 09-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

thanks stan.

I spoke with Ralph haseltine, and am sending my CF cards to him to see if he can get any back. I have reused them and they have been reformated, but he is willing to give it a try..

again thanks.

andrew

Good Luck
Old 09-17-2005, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.180

Hope you get to save something

It is a hard way to find out that time to burn the raw images onto a cd or saving to a second drive has to be figured in from now on
( Or get more cards )

Ohh the money issues when dealing with computers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 09-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35423
Send a message via AIM to bugaboomtn

bugaboomtn is offline IP: 68.116.169.208

Imagerecall is also great ( at this point you may need to run it on the Hard drive on your pc). They saved my butt after a card had mixed files from Olympus and Canon. GOT THEM ALL !! http://www.imagerecall.com download can get you up and running on a trial.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bugaboomtn Visit bugaboomtn's homepage! Find More Posts by bugaboomtn

Well... here\'s some thoughts...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.245.172

I've used PC Inspector to recover deleted and "lost" files. Works well, but it renames the files it recovers and that's a pain. Last time I checked, PC Inspector was still available from their site as a free trial.

One thing occurs to me, and that's if you did any file manipulation on your drive after the files were "lost" you may have overwritten some drive areas which contained data and links to the next sectors the files were stored on. That means that you got the file back, but the computer didn't recover it all because some of the links were broken. Dunno if you're going to be able to do much about that...

If the memory cards were only reformatted, and did not have new info written to them, you may be able to recover the files from them with all the links intact.

I am paranoid... The first thing I do after transferring the files off the cards to the hard drive is burn a CD. Frequently two...

Good luck...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 09-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

OK thanks guys...

now I just gotta ask:

Here are two QUOTED parts from my original post:

[ QUOTE ]
... shut down computer and left with camera and memory cards to go to another possible shoot. Reformated card or deleted images .. and shot more for another shoot. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
... I now have 238 image files that look like the proper size, have the proper names, but will not open in PSCS2, or any other image viewing software I have.

What I need.....

I need a program that will repair or open image files that are possibly partially messed up or just not opening.

Does anyone have any ideas or can offer any help? I can not re shoot these images as the model is not available for quite awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, here are my questions:

1. What part of I formatted and reshot on the cards wasn't clear?
2. When I said I had ARLEADY RECOVERED the files and needed to find a program to REPAIR them or be able to OPEN them wasnt clear? All I need to do is to be able to VIEW the image...

I am sending the cards somewhere and hopefully they will be able to recover some of the images, if not, I have the image files on my hard drive and cant open or view them.

I cant believe nobody is reading what I asked about. I am not joking, this happens all the time.. you all are great guys, and always willing to help , but please.. take a minute longer and READ what people are writing here.

Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Unfortunately this kind of "mis-reading" happens all the time. It's sort of like an illusion. People sometimes tend to see what they expect to see. Almost always when people lose images on the CF cards, it is different than your experience and so people just read one thing but process it as something that they are familiar with. In other words they get so caught up with the "dancing bear" that they don't see the real work.

As for how to process the images you now have that you can't open, it will probably require someone who understands the format for those images and can discern and reassemble the pieces that they can identify. Often just a few bytes have been garbled and if one can correct those few bytes, then the image might magically allow itself to be opened again. I used to to this with Btrieve database files that got corrupted. It was often just the header info that was bad and after it was reconstructed, the data was all accessible again.

I hope you can find the right people who know the underlying format of the images. By the way, if they are JPG, then that is a well documented format. But if they are RAW, then you may be in for some problems as many of the RAW formats are proprietary. Good luck!

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith