Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Suggestions on body paint
Old 09-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 72.16.97.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My wonderful muse Shiela is willing to let me experiments and do a Jackson Polluck on her in an upcoming shoot and then have her use her body to paint some seamless - we will see how it turns out. However, having never done anything like this, I could use some suggestions on types/brands of washable paint that would work in this situation. I am particularly interested in finding very bold colors so any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards

mark sharfman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Re: Suggestions on body paint
Old 09-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.153.7.182

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Remember, if you choose to use artist's acrylic paints, they are latex-based. Some folks have allergies to latex and you don't want your model to break out in a rash during or after your photo session. You won't know if she'll have a reaction until you've tried it, unless she already knows of a latex allergy.

One thing you might look into is finger paint. Haven't examined their compositional makeup; read the ingredients first.

I think Nancy Hancock can get you the information you want.

CHET D.
San Antonio

Old 09-10-2005, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

Besides all that, acrylics tend to wash off into a sludge that when it dries is hard to chip off--anything. You must judiciously ensure any sign of the paints, when the model cleans up, is rinsed thoroughly out of your drains or you could create a plumber-worth backup problem that Drano won't solve.

C

Old 09-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

..plumber-worthy, plumber-worthy...

My fingers aren't coordinating with my brain much these days.

C

Old 09-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43926

Chris_Winters is offline IP: 68.99.109.70

I agree wih Kamaainak, acrylic paint is wonderful, just dont leave it on for more than an hour or so on the model. I experience some slight burning sensations -- but of course, I have some -pretty- interesting shots completed by a female artist that had me covered ALL in yellow (in which Im not releasing until she gives the go), but I am releasing this infamous ass photo with true yellow acrylic paint.

As for washing off; I spent an additional hour removing the paint from me and ended up destroying 5 of her towels. Of course the towels were meant for destruction, as usually women are particulary not going to have a man use really, really, good towels! Heh!

Use SOAP with LUKEWARM water and make sure the water is constantly draining. This prevents the tub from being coloured. Also, instruct the model to scoop up any leftover paint from the tub and dispense in nearby trash receptacle while washing.

Hope this helps.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_Winters Visit Chris_Winters's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_Winters

Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.209.180

I had a Model bring over a 6 or 8 pack of Crayola (brand) paints, they went on and off very easy.

I have also used liquid latex, that was fun but alot more work, do a search on the internet (check out my 0MP portfolio for some latex shots (55629).

here is the crayola paints:

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 09-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

See if Mehron will work for what you want to do...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Many thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Many thanks to all for the suggestions - I am sure I can find something to use that will work from these great ideas.

regards

mark sharfman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 09-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45096

Jake_C is offline IP: 66.191.153.234

I realize this might be a bit out of date by now, but another option that seems to have been missed... Ben Nye's MagiColor line. It's water-based yet not acyrillic, has some of the most astounding color quality to be found anywhere, and is very much designed to be mixed to acheive certain effects.

For instance, if you wanted to do a thick coat across a large surface of the body (and weren't airbrushing, which it can also be used for), it should be mixed with a translucent power, which adds to the holding power & opaquness. If you want a stunning shimmer out of a color, just add some pearlescent powder, and lights will dance across your model. If you're going to be leaving it on the model under hot lights or for more than 45 min or so, it'd be worth mixing in a fixative. They also make all of the same colors in matching water-based pencils, which is a HUGE help when trying to get defined lines, something no paint does terribly well.

And no, I don't work for Ben Nye. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] In a "former life", though, I was a multi-line theatrical makeup rep and makeup artist for a variety of industrials. The simple rule is, Ben Nye for color, Bob Kelly for powders, Mehron if you have to, and Krylon for anything you can't find through the other guys and know enough German to make it through their order forms. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One word of warning, though. The prices on the Nye stuff will look quite a bit higher than any of the other companies. Don't let this fool you. As Nye makeup usually takes a lot less in quantity to do the same job, the per application cost is usually much, much lower.

Hope that helps!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jake_C Visit Jake_C's homepage! Find More Posts by Jake_C

Old 09-16-2005, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Many thanks for the lead - regards - mark