Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Filing systems - what to use.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232
Comments: 0

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.228.77

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Working with digital images is fairly new to me and I am wondering about the best way to set up a system for filing and retrieving images.

Firstly I am finding I have several copies of the same image, a Raw file (or scanned Tiff file), a Photoshop modified copy of the original, plus one or 2 resized versions for internet posting.
In your experience, which files do I need to keep?

I currently use ACDSEE for browsing the small number of digital files I currently have, but the database capability seems a bit limited for long term use. I would like to be able to store all the normal file information, but also to link to the relevant model release, identify which images have been supplied to the model, and also record other usage history such as internet postings or publication.

What systems are others using? What would you recommend?

My thanks for any advice you can offer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Re: Filing systems - what to use.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.36.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Portfolio by Extensis. It is powerful and will give you screen previews and store originals. Not too pricey either.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.78.77

I've been using the iView Media Pro system and have liked it. I'm not sure if they make a Mac and Windows version, but they might. I have to admit, the lately I've been playing with the "browser" function in PS CS and am liking it. Not sure it has all the functionality you are looking for, but if you have CS you may want to check it out.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to SnJPhotography Find More Posts by SnJPhotography

Old 09-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Kevin,

First off, welcome to the forum! Hope you find it a friendly and useful place.

ACDSEE is pretty good for most browsing stuff. I use it for my 'contact prints' and HTML gallery pages (for online proofing). The database facilities in my version (3 or 4, I think) are pretty limited. I understand the newer versions (are they up to Ver 7, now?) are better, but I've never felt like I needed as much as what you're considering.

I usually wind up with a few copies of the image, as well, but not as many as you do.

I shoot in Nikon RAW, so I have a .NEF on the shoot DVD. If I've decided to work up an image, I keep an .NEF of the original plus a .PSD file of each modification that I've decided to publish/print. Each of those versions has a large .JPEG (stored in quality 12 for prints, either ones I want or ones for the model/customer) and a web-sized JPEG 500 pixels across the horizontal and whatever vertically, and sized at 72 dpi. I usually don't do more than 2 or 3 different versions of an image, so that's not a whole lot to manage on the hard disk.

Hmmm... going back and re-reading your message, I guess I DO have as many copies of an image as you do! Even more, maybe, since I keep a large un-compressed JPEG AND a compressed web-sized JPEG of each image.

When I start beginning to fill the hard drive, I'll begin to move the model/customer folders to DVD/CD-R for archiving. By then, I'm usually done with the image, or have lost interest in working with it any more.

Thus, for any one particular model, I wind up with a DVD for the shoot, and a DVD or CD-R of worked up images, which might contain images spanning two or more shoots, to store.

I've got a very simple database built in Access that can cross reference the date versus model/customer...

I've heard good things about Extensis. Some day I might try it, but as I said right now, until my memory begins to go, I'm not shooting enough / selling enough to need to worry about a separate database beyond what I've already got working.

Again, Kevin, welcome!

This is Kaylee...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 09-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.236.18

Thanks Tom.
I will take a look at it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Old 09-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Scott.

I am using Photoshop CS as well, but I don't think the browser does what I want. I'll take another look

Old 09-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the welcome Wayne, and thanks also for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
but I've never felt like I needed as much as what you're considering.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I need it either. I don't have high volumes of work to catalogue (sorry that's catalog in "American" I think), but I also used a simple Access database to keep track of my transparencies and never managed to backtrack through my archives and get everything entered. So I want to set up a usable system before I start collecting too many digital files.

Your system, which seems to be a combination of a simple database and a methodical workflow, might be exactly what I need. I think the method might be more important than the software.

One question though.

[ QUOTE ]
Thus, for any one particular model, I wind up with a DVD for the shoot, and a DVD or CD-R of worked up images, which might contain images spanning two or more shoots, to store

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I understand this right? You have one collection of disks that contain only the raw files from various sessions (sort of like keeping the negatives safe), and a separate collection of disks with images you have worked through for models or print etc.

Thanks again for the reply, it has helped greatly to clarify my thinking on what I need. I am even beginning to think that ACDSEE may have enough functionality to do what I need.
If I come up with a solution I will let you know.

This site has been very friendly so far, and is also proving very useful.

And just as my brain was beginning to ache, the lovely Kaylee to make me forget all the ideas I just had! - Nice shot! ..... Those eyes! ...... What is she thinking? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.190

There are many ways to organize. I have ACDSee V7 and it has a great range of cataloging abilities, including ratings, dates and times, keywords, etc. Once you get the hang of it, it is very powerful. For example, you can have it catalog not only all your hard drives, network drives, but also your CD/DVDs and it keeps a thumbnail database in its central database so you always know where all the photos are. If you copy photos from one place to another, it will even track the fact that you have copied them, and so forth.
I often use it for assigning a rank to various photos scattered across several different media, and then I can view all of the photos with that rank and it know where each one of them is.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Kevin,

[ QUOTE ]
Do I understand this right? You have one collection of disks that contain only the raw files from various sessions (sort of like keeping the negatives safe), and a separate collection of disks with images you have worked through for models or print etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. The second disk often has a set of .NEF's that the keepers in the shoot... some of which I may never work up.. but all of the workups come from the keepers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 09-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38861
Send a message via AIM to aknudsen Send a message via MSN to aknudsen Send a message via Skype™ to aknudsen

aknudsen is offline IP: 168.100.198.75

On the PC platform I've been using iMatch which is very low priced and have functions comparable to other packages many times more expensive.

Since I'm moving to Mac I've been looking at a few different options. The CS2 browser is just too slow. I installed Portfolio and found a major bug in the folder browser. I tried to rename one and it deleted it and all the content as well.

iView is what I settled for though I wish it had a few of the functions provided by others. I need stability and speed and the way you tag the images in iView is enough for me. Some say it is too limited.

Choosing software is also a look and feel issue so find something you're comfortable using.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to aknudsen Visit aknudsen's homepage! Find More Posts by aknudsen