Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Vagabond with other lights?
Old 08-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.217.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Is it possible to use the Vagabond system from Alien Bees with other lighting equipment? For example, I have a small 500 watt Dyna-Lite power pack, and I was wondering if it'd be safe to use with a Vagabond.

And if not, does anyone know of someplace I can get a good (preferably inexpensive [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) AC/DC converter so I can use a power pack from my truck?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Vagabond with other lights?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sam,

That Dynalite power pack probably pulls somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 amps. The Alien Bees pull about 8 amps, so if the Vagabond can power your Bees, they should be able to power the Dynalite powerpack. Call the Bees folks and ask, just to be sure. As far as inverters go, 7 amps at 110 Volts = 770 watts. I'd recommend an inverter that produces 1000 watts just to be safe. If you care for your equipment at all you should get an inverter that produces true sine wave output. Ergo, you're looking for a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter. It's not going to be cheap. Probably in the neighborhood of $350.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 08-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.217.69

Hmm, well it looks like my best bet is to give the Bees folks a call. I'd rather use a Vagabond with it and be able to use it on a battery then to have everything connected to my truck all the time and have it possibly be in the way.

Thanks Chip!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 209.16.210.111

The issue of inverters is a tricky one. It depends on matching the inverter and the power pack. I have three inverters. A 300 Watt true sine wave, a 1000 Watt modified sine wave, 12 Volt, and a 1500 Watt modified sine wave, 24 volt. I have a Norman Norlite 400 WS monolight that works great with the 300 Watt inverter. It draws enough current that it sends the inverter into alarm. When the inverter quits howling, I know that the monolight is ready to shoot. I use a wheelchair battery for this inverter and the setup is pretty convenient. I have enough power to use the modeling light. I also have a Norman ML600 monolight. 600 WS maximum adjustable down five stops in one tenth stop increments. Neither the 300 Watt nor the 1000 Watt inverters will power this monolight. It trips the circuit breaker the moment you turn it on, modeling light or not. The 1500 Watt inverter will run this one, but it uses two huge trolling motor batteries. I have never tried to use an inverter on a pack and head. Many power packs are set up to use voltage triplers or quadruplers in their power supplies for fast recharging. Without using a ballast resistor, the inrush current is usually too much for most inverters. 15 Amps at 120 Volts is 1800 Watts. Most household circuit breakers will allow a considerably higher (like several hundred percent) inrush current. Only after you fire the pack several times do you start to see problems. Most inverters are only rated for about 50% over maximum current for inrush. True sine wave inverters will normally work for any type of light, providing the current capacity is enough. Modified sine wave inverters will only work properly with lights that use switching power supplies. They won't charge lights with voltage triplers to full power. Computers use switching power supplies and most computer uninterruptible power supplies are modified sine wave. A UPS probably isn't a good choice to try to power a strobe.

So the answer ultimately turns out to be "It Depends." I think that the Vagabond is robustly designed and might operate other lights, but I would be inclined to use one with the lights that it was designed for.

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles

Old 08-28-2005, 09:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

[ QUOTE ]
Computers use switching power supplies and most computer uninterruptible power supplies are modified sine wave. A UPS probably isn't a good choice to try to power a strobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can use a UPS, but you can't use a cheap one here, either. (The folks at American Power Conversion - APC - are very helpful, BTW). It needs to provide pure sine wave output and have a VA rating that exceeds the power requirements of your strobes by about 50%. I.e. if your strobes draw 10 amps at 110V, that's 1100 watts. 1100 x 1.5 = a 1650 VA rating. I use a UPS to power a Dynalite 1000 W/S pack, but it's a beast (3000 VA) and wasn't cheap (~$1100 brand new IIRC) but I had it lying around the house looking for something useful to do.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.220.156

Hmm, I guess my best bet is to just use monolights that are designed for traveling, or the Vagabonds with the Bees, etc. Oh, I talked to the Bees people about using other lights with the Vagabond, and they highly recommended NOT to use other lights with it. They explained it to me why, but it was early (for me) at the time I talked to them, and I can't remember why exactly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Something about a voltage drop in the Vagabond after the light is fired, and the Bees can handle the drop, but other lights may not be able to... something like that, I think. So for anyone reading this, don't use anything but your Bees with your Vagabond!

Thanks Bill, I appreciate you explaining all that! It looks like probably the best and safest thing is to get portable power specifically designed for the lights you have.

Thanks again!

Sam

Old 08-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.153.219

Theses guys have a 1000ws puresine inverter for about 350.00 http://www.invertersrus.com/puresinewaveinverters.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 08-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 66.112.30.187

That is exactly what I was thinking that they did. To control and limit the inrush surge current, they are letting the inverter voltage drop. Once the inrush current is past, the inverter voltage rises to its normal value and the light is ready to fire. If you look at some of the strobe power packs, they may have two recharge settings, slow and fast. The slow setting restricts the current that is supplied just after the lights fire, but the fast setting doesn't. Balcar has this on some packs and it is normally used if the pack keeps tripping circuit breakers in the 120 volt supply.

You can try different lights with different inverters and most of the time, the worst that will happen is that the inverter will shut down. I think that it is prudent to experiment with cheap strobes that I am not concerned about blowing up. I have some Photogenic monolights (PG4001ML and PG3001ML) that I got cheap on Ebay that I use for this.

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles