Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
CUSTOM
Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.8.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

anyone have a link to info on the 20D's custom functions? what they are, how they work, benefits and downfalls and such? i been flipping through and some seem very useful! any help would be much appreciated!!

(i shot a soccer tournament all weekend and used custom function 4 setting 3)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: CUSTOM
Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

these are mine..

2: long exposure noise reduction set to "on"..

4: Set to "1" where the shutter release button is set to do just the release of the shutter, and locking of the exposure...and not control the activation of the AF system,...instead, the back "star" button is used to activate the AF system... I like this rather than letting the camera constantly change the metering without any control over that, because a lot of the time, say like when I shoot in Av mode..such as in partly cloudy days and shooting action...like soccer,.. the lighting changes from one side of the field to the other.....sometimes, the bleachers cast a shadow on part of the field,...and perhaps the subjects are in the shade, but just behind them,...the sun is bright and hot, and will stop down that meter and under expose my subjects that are in the shade.. so, I press the shutter half way down in some part of the scene that is about the same lighting as the subjects which locks the exposure,...and then I follow focus with either my fingers on the lens "manual",...or with the "star" button on the back in AI-Servo mode, and fire when ready..

5: set to "2"..I can't stand the pop up flash on the 20D,...so I disable the pop up flash from aiding the AF. I always use the 550EX when I need a quick flash of light..like for events and such,...and if I don't want to have the flash go off and put yucky looking light on my subjects, but could use a little AF help..say like in back lighted situations,...I might just swivel the flach head 180º,...or 90º and make that thing fire somewhere else, but the AF emitter ...that red lazer pattern that thing emits, helps the AF locking in low light situations,...up to about 20 ft or so.. A lot of people don't know that..(Oh,..and I only use a flash bracket with the 550EX....never ever slapped directly on the camera it's self...unless you want "Guy With Camera lighting")..

6: The exposure level increments..I switch that one the most than any other CF.. It all depends on how much I need to be as close to what my meter reading says.. 1/3 stop adjustments are slower to make than 1/2 adjustments... for events and action,...I almost always use 1/2 stop increments to the exposure..

8: The ISO expansion is always "on"...that is the "H" setting / "3200iso" setting...not sure why they called it that....and I'm not sure why they made that a CF..

13: The AF point selection method.. I have mine set to "1"...and I admit that sometimes, that is a pain in the butt..because the "corner" AF points aren't so easy to select as the far ones, or the up and down ones....I've contemplated changing that a few times but,..it is the closest thing to how my 1N / 1NRS film bodies were set up...that you could select the AF point with the rear thumb wheel while in AI servo and continous high speed advance.. the "joystick" on the 20D controls the af point selection,... and you have to press down on it to select the one in the middle..

15: 1 ....that's if I ever use the pop up flash for anything... the rear curtain of the shutter opens when the flash goes off.. so,...if you are panning a subject in a lot of ambient light,...and you want to go for that "moving look"..you want to have it set up so that the subject is moving during the beginning of the exposure, but at the end of the exposure, the flash will pop and freeze the subject in it's tracks.. Very cool for "night life" shots..

16: I switch this around a lot.. it's used to prevent screwing up a shot in Av, or Tv modes.. because when switching to those modes from Manual,.. the "main dial" (the one by the shutter release) controls the value number...while the rear dial controls the exposure compensation of that value.. while the camera does the rest.. well,...one way to avoid this is by setting the "on / off" switch to the "on" position not the one above that which enables the unlocking of the rear wheel dial... so that thing doesn't mess up your exposure if you want to avoid accidentally turning that thing...which can happen..

Keep up the good learning Tim! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Here is one possible link of interest:

http://tinyurl.com/bn6ek

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-25-2005, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
these are mine..

Keep up the good learning Tim! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

[/ QUOTE ]

very helpful! thank you! i ran into another photographer at the tournament who showed me the AF using funtion 4 which triggered my interest to use my camera to its full potential. I'm definitely using some of what you gave me!

what were you shooting in that shot?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.35

Cool... glad I could help...

I was shooting out Lt. Governor....or should I say "photographing" her.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] at an event where the publisher wanted "tight facial shots" of her...and that I did.. (makes for great editorial photos)..

I have that backed up somewhere but don't have time to look it up..

busy day!

JP

Old 08-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Cool... glad I could help...

I was shooting out Lt. Governor....or should I say "photographing" her.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] at an event where the publisher wanted "tight facial shots" of her...and that I did.. (makes for great editorial photos)..

I have that backed up somewhere but don't have time to look it up..

busy day!

JP

[/ QUOTE ]

makes more sense now, i was wondering due to the huge lens for indoor... and that flash cant go that far!

thanks again, dont stress too much, busy days are what keep me movin