Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photo storage
Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44365
Comments: 0

chucklyman is offline IP: 68.255.69.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am looking For portable digital photo storage.Taking pictures and putting them on scan disc cards is ok but I would like to store large amounts of digital pictures in a safe place. I understand there are some new products out there, I just need help in finding them.
Chuck Lyman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chucklyman Visit chucklyman's homepage! Find More Posts by chucklyman

Re: Photo storage
Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40892

smOKe013 is offline IP: 71.100.121.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You might want to take a look at some external hard drives. I don't remember whom in particular, but there are some tech geniuses on here that are willing to steer you in the right direction.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smOKe013 Visit smOKe013's homepage! Find More Posts by smOKe013

Old 08-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

I use 60 and 80 gig USB external hard drives. They are about the size of a IPOD and work great...plug and play. I have 2 of them now along with my 120gig drive on my PC. I keep my downloaded images on my PC until Post processing is complete. Upon completion, I MOVE the folders to the external hard drive to free up PC disk space. I only keep the low res web image folder on my PC. Once moved to the other drive, I then create a folder in that drive to store and keep an index on my PC to try and remember certain images...ie, Red Dress, Blonde hair, Red hair, Gothic, blue swimsuit etc. I can then easily find the pic I am looking for at a later date.

The drives I use are made by Firelite I believe and run about $180 to $200 for an 80 gig...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 08-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I use the external hard drives that attach to the computer using usb 2 or firewire. These drives have dropped in price greatly in the last year. You can also build your own very easily in about 5 minutes. I bought a usb/firewire case for $40 and a 250gb drive for $90 after rebate and thus was able to build a 250gb external dual drive for $130. Fry's often has all sorts of sales on these drives, cases, etc., so check them out. I currently have 5 of the external drives.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for portable digital photo storage.Taking pictures and putting them on scan disc cards is ok but I would like to store large amounts of digital pictures in a safe place. I understand there are some new products out there, I just need help in finding them.
Chuck Lyman

[/ QUOTE ]

I need you to be more specific.

If you are looking for long-term storage, the words portable and safe are mutually exclusive. You really can't have a large capacity portable system that is safe. And you can't have a large capacity storate system that is safe and really portable.

Ideally, for long-term safe storage you'd want to set up a system with a least two HD's in RAID-1 (mirroring) configuration, and have at least one of them removable. At the end of the day, when you are done working on your images, you'd shut down your system, remove one of the HD's, and lock it away in a fire safe (preferably off-site). This way even if your whole house/studio goes down in flames you'll have a backup copy of your images. Obviously though, this setup isn't really portable.

Although *TECHNICALLY* you can create a portable system that has data redundancy built-in, it's really not a safe system. A portable system is more prone to shocks (i.e. being dropped), being lost or stolen. So while the data itself may have a measure of safety in that if one of the HD's fails your data is safe, the device as a whole is not really safe from external forces.

If all you want is something you can hook up to your laptop to save images while on a shoot, then I'd recommend getting a portable 2.5" external HD. DO NOT GET AN EXTERNAL 3.5" HD. Here's why: As 2.5" HD's are usually meant to be installed in a laptop, they are engineered to withstand rougher treatment. Most 3.5" HD's aren't made to take the rough and tumble environment of a laptop bag. The other reason is that a 2.5" HD enclosure will usually power the HD with nothing more than the power from the USB or Firewire bus. Most 3.5" external units require a separate power source.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.205.122

I recently picked up a 400gb Seagate external for $300 at Fry's. You might also consider DVDs, and eventually the new "blue" DVDs that will hold something like 50gb I think. The problem is that as technolgy changes, will your media still be readable? Aside from whether the files will still be there (will the DVD fade? Will the HD still function?) there's the question of will there still be DVD readers? For example, where would you be if everything you had was backed up on SyQuest drives? Plan on having to transfer your data to new media every few years I suppose. Unless of course you shoot film. I have film sitting in boxes that's 30 years old, and still looks the same, and I still have the technology to use it as is.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 08-18-2005, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 68.116.197.221

[ QUOTE ]
Plan on having to transfer your data to new media every few years I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the key, migration. If you do it, you're fine, and it isn't all that often nor that hard. Just stick with industry standards and migrate when the standards change. If you don't, well, its no different than storing your negatives in a damp dark corner of the basement and letting them sit there to rot. Each has a archival process that must be followed to ensure longivity. They are just different.

For all we know, 50 years from now people might be scratching their heads about how to print negatives. Who would have thought 7 years ago digital would be putting the major players in film out to pasture? What will the next 25 years bring?

In the mean time, migration works, and will continue to.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.20.170

Film isn't perfect. I've lost many slides over the years, maybe a thousand, due to fungus. I do live in high humidity, and occasionally a hurricane will pass through. Then again maybe fungus likes DVDs also?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 08-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.86.202

Hey Chuck, if you are looking for a way to back up a large number of images and don't want to worry about buying more equipment down the road, I recommend checking out at compusa's website and taking a look at the 1 terabyte and larger external hard drives. The reason I say this large is for a couple of reasons. The first, is that you don't have to worry about running out of space any time soon, which saves you money down the road, and not to mention the time it takes to transfer files to sucsessively larger hard drives in the future. I know they run over a thousand dollars each, but it'll save you money down the road. If that's too much, then just get the biggest hd you can get.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink