Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Build a studio
Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44365
Comments: 0

chucklyman is offline IP: 68.255.69.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would like to build a studio within the next few months, but I am having problems finding a book or someone that would give me information on what would be a proper size for a good working studio. If I can rent a place I will, but I am not sure on what size room I need to look for. I also shoot only digital. What lighting and other equipment other than props would that studio require?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chucklyman Visit chucklyman's homepage! Find More Posts by chucklyman

Re: Build a studio
Old 08-16-2005, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Your best bet is to go and look at other studios in your area. The larger the room the better. It will depend on what you want it to look like. Will there be a dressing room ? more then one set design at any given time ? Will you need a lobby for cusomers wait around in ? Also as for lighting go's don't cheep out on that. Buy good stuff that can hold up to everyday abuse.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 209.16.210.82

There are some books on this and I think that I have some of them, but the question of studio design is largely one of personal preference and what you intend to do with it. If you are planning to build one there are a few things to bear in mind. The first is ceiling height. The higher the ceiling, the more room that you have for lighting setups. Next would be shooting space, do you want to have more than one set up at a time? The more space, the better, up to a point. I think that the minimum shooting space that I would like to have would be 16' X 24'. I could get by with smaller, but I'm building this. The last thing is amenities. There should be a private space for changing, make up and the like. A rest room is very desirable and may be mandated by building codes. You also need a place to work and rest and don't forget about storage. All the stuff that you are about to start to accumulate needs a place to go.

I would recommend looking at other photographer's studios to get an idea of how they organize them. I have given some thought to building one and some thought to converting an old store to a studio. The old brick store buildings can be very good for this. They were usually long, narrow and had high ceilings. Since they are old, however, they may have structural problems, bad roofs, old wiring, bad plumbing, no insulation and other problems. On the other hand, building a studio on my property next to my home could actually reduce the property value. Whether you are in the business of photography or a hobbyist, as I am, it is still a good idea to consider the amount of the investment and the resale value.

Back to books. Do a search on Amazon.com for "studio photography". Lots of books come up and many can be bought used for a few dollars. I like "Studio & Commercial Photography" by Jack Reznicki, among others. It's not about studio design, but he shows you what his is like and how he uses it. Another one that I like is "Basic Studio Lighting" by Tony Corbell. Again, this is general in nature, but worth a look.

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles

Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Use the search forum feature on this board. We've had a number of questions just like this with some great answers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 08-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
hgphoto

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.173.200.84

As studio is a simple thing to do once you know a few things upfront,
For instance what are you shooting? Product? people?
If you shoot product what size? regular stuff (tabletop) or large (boats, cars airplanes...you get my drift).
If you're shooting people, what kind of setup (portraits, models, large groups)?
I this reply I'm going to assume you're looking for a place to shoot models (glamour/fashion/beauty). I find that a nice sice to work with is a room 25X30 (shooting space) with ceilings of 11 ft or more. Obviously the bigger the better but this size works just fine. If the place has large windows that's even better to asccomodate shooting in available daylight.
It's nice if you have an extra area of around 8X10 or more for storage of equipment like stands, tripods, lights, softboxes, foamcore panels, etc).

The image attached was shot in a studio 22X30.

Good luck
Howard