Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How do you cut people out of images and put them all in one ?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am looking to make an image out of 3 or 4 of mine so it looks along the lines of the image like here on the Flirt page

I am about ready to give up..I am missing something working with PS

Mike

That Look Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Re: How do you cut people out of images and put them all in one ?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.137

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Are you "feathering" the transition of layers...under "Select"..? ( ≈ 5% ??.....or so depending on certain variables)

Are your subjects all within the same scale size..(head to toe)..

Many catalogues just layer without feathering, even when they are plopping down the same model in a different outfit..

I hope that was helpful.. somewhat.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.218

What I would do is mask it quickly with the polygonal lasso tool and then go into 'Quick Mask' mode (shortcut 'Q') that way you can make the mask soft or hard where it needs to be.Use black to paint the mask and white to erase, the best part is that you can change brush sizes, opacity, flow, etc and it will mask accrdingly. The glow effect around each pic is done using "Outer Glow" which can be found by clicking the 'F' symbol at the bottom of your layers palette. There's a whole lotta options there that you can play around with.

If you are having any trouble getting it to look that way you want it, email me and I'll gladly help you out.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cozanostra Visit cozanostra's homepage! Find More Posts by cozanostra

Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Mike,

If it's the part about cutting someone cleanly out of a shot that's giving you problems this might help.

I had a job a while back where I had to cut a bunch of different antique kid's toys I'd shot for an ad completely off a dark background and after several hours of teeth gnashing and whispered death threats toward the client came up with a pretty good way to fully remove something from a bg:

Open the image then use the 'extract' command to cut the person or thing out of the shot. This never fully works, there's always rough edges and cutouts.

(I'm assuming you're already getting this far along, right?)

The next thing to do (I remembered this from one of Scott Kelby's books, couldn't find the book that day so I faked it till it worked) is pull up the history pallete, there should be two layers open, and extract. Click the open history layer, then click in the little box that indicates the history brush for that layer

highlight the second, extracted layer, then zoom WAY the hell in and go over the entire image along the edges alternately brushing in the cutouts with the history brush and erasing bits and pieces of the old background with the eraser tool.

Sounds like a pain in the butt and it is but after a while you get to moving along pretty good with it.

One of the items I had to cutout (a dollhouse with about ten gazillion curvy little hoochie coos hanging off every edge) ended up running in an ad in a local magazine and looked good so I know the technique will work for you.

Hope this helps,

Shannon

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.193.140

Call Don, he is the master of this.

DeAnn

316-260-5975
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Old 08-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Mike try this tutorial movie by Russel Brown....

works really well!!

Advanced Masking tutorial

Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38990

ragpix is offline IP: 68.236.25.202

Basic PS skill...masking, to create photo illustrations, etc.. You can make an alpha mask many different ways and even combine the multiple ways to create the mask, a basic cookie-cutter.

Use the path tool, it takes practice, more for some than others. Use the brush as a mask at varying opacities to get hair and other tiny bits. Save selection, you have a mask.

There are other, faster, dirtier methods you could use in PS, but I recommend learning how to draw a path...it's cleaner and more professional looking.

Zoom in and have fun...first time around is real tedious. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ragpix Visit ragpix's homepage! Find More Posts by ragpix

Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35714

edrem3 is offline IP: 67.83.185.79

You mean like this? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I arranged all my layers at 50% opacity so I could see how to line them up, then I used a layer mask to paint them in.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to edrem3 Visit edrem3's homepage! Find More Posts by edrem3

Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

That is what I am looking to do..I only wish I knew what you were talking about. There just is not enough time in a day to learn this stuff.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

That went right over my head.. I need to work with this for a while I can see.

Mike