Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Watson come in here!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402
Comments: 0

Gunfitr is offline IP: 152.163.189.166

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For all you inventors, I know you will get the subject line reference.

I did it.

Previously we had discussed using a "blue" card to purposely throw off the white balance to get "yellow/orange" photos.

I went into photoshop and made my own blue card.

I picked a nice pale shade of blue and used the fader to fade it from right to left so when printed on a white card it would fade from blue to white, left to right.

I put a couple of black X's on it to aid with focusing and then I printed that sucker.

Used it to white balance, and got a nice yellowy orange color in the resulting photos.

I tried it several times using different shades of blue, with varying shades of "orange/yellow" being the end result.

Now, what I am tweaking is, since when you use the "color picker" to pick a color, it shows the R/G/B makeup of the color, like

R. 100
G. 56
B 240

so if I want my "yellow" color to be more "yellow" with a tinge of red to it, I add a few points of blue and subtract a few points of red. I figure with a few more experiments, I will be able to zero in on the color of blue that gives ME the color I want under the light I am using.

I know Clint is a virtual advertisement for the Warm Cards guys, but I had to try this myself.

I haven't had a chance to try it out on a model, but I held my hand out in front of the camera (works in a pinch) and then shot a series, using the blue cards in between to set the W/B and you can scroll through the resulting photos and see the progressive nature and impact of the blue cards used.

This also got me thinking, I have a "blue" filter used to bring the color temp of 3200 K lights up to 5500K. So if I put it on and shot my 5500K lights on a white board, it should try to balance by adding yellow. So then if I take the "Blue" filter off, and shoot under the same lights, I should get Yellow shots.

The same could be done with squares of Rosco Gels (CTB, 1/2 CTB and 1/4 CTB) and saved in the three pre-sets, and I could have three shades of CTO at my whim (assuming daylight temp).

If I have lost you, sorry, I am just a little excited, as this opens up some interesting possibilities, and I could set three colors in my WB pre-sets, and then choose between them on the fly while shooting in the studio as I normally shoot on the "Daylight" setting with my strobes anyway.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

My opinion?
Old 02-26-2003, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
newshawk

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 208.60.251.109

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You are making this way more complicated than it has to be.

I do a white balance on my camera too...I think I use 2 settings...one for sunny day and one for a cloudy day. Sometimes I even use the daylight setting with tungsten light.

Why not just concentrate on taking great pictures? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Glad to hear it!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.134.198

My only concerns about DIY "right shade of blue" cards are:

1.) Every paper has it's own unique color, so one would have to "standardize" a specific paper to be consistent, just like color printing with ICC profiles.

2.) ALL inkjet inks fade and shift over time, so the repeatability would be problematical.

Thus my desire to try WarmCards. They are standardized and guaranteed.

But in the mean time, I'm glad to know it does indeed work!

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

sweet!
Old 02-26-2003, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.73

whatever it takes bro! that is the same thing I did before I saw the warm cards at NAB a while back. Kudos to you my friend!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

just for fun
Old 02-27-2003, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.73

View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: My opinion?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 152.163.189.166

Bill:

Since you asked the reason for my excitement is that I have tried about 30 colors of gels from Gam Color and Rosco, trying to find a particular shade of "warm" light that I can see in my head, but have yet to achieve. I have gotten close by combining a shade of light salmon pink and straw yellow.

I am not trying to make it complicated, I am trying to make it easy.

If I could make up my own blue cards to end up with that particular color I am wanting, I could repeat it and tweak it till I got it right.

I am concentrating on taking good photos, but for me, the missing element is the color I am wanting.

Hope that makes sense.

The color in the attached photo is close, but not exactly what I am trying for.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr