Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
flash for outside
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45175
Comments: 0

atergilbus is offline IP: 213.250.61.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi!
I need an battery powered flash to use on location (outside).
At the moment i'm using a metz 45 cl4 on a stand - manual mode ,
but i need more power and possibly a guide light. I also need flashpower
regulation.

Thanks

atergilbus
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atergilbus Find More Posts by atergilbus

Re: flash for outside
Old 08-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How much you want to spend?

http://www.alienbees.com Vagobond System Contact them direct.....

http://www.henselusa.com/ Porty system....contact Rolando or Robert Sanders direct and they will better assist you on the porty system.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

The JTL Mobilight 300 is very good and priced well. I have 2 of them. They run on AC, car battery, or from the included battery pack that will give you about 120 shots at full power. They are rated at 300 w/s and are fully adjustable.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 08-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 68.116.197.221

I've got a couple of the JTL Mobilight 300s as well. Some things I like about them, others I don't.

I measured them against my Canon 580EX, both mounted in the same softbox. Both gave me almost identical meter readings of ISO100, f11 at about 6'. The 580EX recycled just a tad faster. The JTL's had modeling lights if you needed them, and a built in slave. The 580EX has the wireless control, but limited in distance. The 580EX is very small and portable compared to the JTL's. The JTL's offered the ability to run off AC or car battery right out of the box. The JTL's allow the easy use of grids, barn doors, etc, while the 580's could if you kludged something together.

In the end, I like them box for their various strengths in different areas. The only real thing I dislike about the JTL's are the weak reflectors. They tend to get out of shape easily so that its harder to mount the grids on them. Just a little pressure from the sides will get the refelctor a slight oval shape, and you'd need to bend it back to fit the grids.

But in the end, the JTL's are easier to use light modifiers on them then the 580's. The 580's are very small and compact. So I take my 3 580's just about everywhere I go. I have a small softbox and mount that lives in my tripod case, so i can always setup a 3 point light setup with teh 580's. When I need more lighting control, I'll bring the JTL kit which has a medium and large softbox, barn doors, reflectors, gels, 4 grids, etc. For larger lighting jobs, well, I just empty the studio into the cars and head out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

Old 08-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

You're right, there isn't a perfect single set of lights in my opinion. Every job calls for something different so it's best to have options for each shoot. I have a set of Novatron Monolights (AC only) that I take at times. I also have a 1.5K and 4K generator that I can take if needed to power a full set of lights. But most of the time, other than the portability of the equipment, the Mobilites have served me well. The only thing I wish the manufacturers would do is create a standard for accessories (yea, right) so I wouldn't have to carry multiple brands and sizes of accessories...

BTW... I don't know how old your Mobilites are, but the reflectors on mine are pretty tough. I had one fall over on a location shoot a few months back and it only slightly dented the rim even with a heavy monoloight on it and a stiff wind blowing.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

My Mobi's are about 3 months old. The refelctors aren't flimsy, but they aren't strong either. If I press on the sides, without a lot of force I an easily bend them. I think its more that they are packed so tight in my kit that there is enough pressure to cause them to deform just enough to make the grids hard to insert.

When I ordered a second set of batteries for them, the new batteries I got had different connnectors on them for the cord between the light and battery pack. I had to return then. Not sure if I have the new ones, or the old ones, but at least now all my batts and cables are the same. Make sure you ask what style the connectors are if you need to order a new set of batts.

I hear you on the accessory standard!! Sure would be nice for us, but cost them sales on accessories. Anything that leaves money in our pockets isn't in their marketing strategy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

Old 08-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

They changed the whole system recently. The ones that have the battery connector that look like the Quantums is the new style. The head itself has a few changes too. My first one smoked so they sent me the newest style as a replacement and my second one was the new style too. The guy I spoke with at JTL said that there were a bunch of internal changes made on the newest style. The new style head has a power control but there are not the lights across the top. They also come with both the 12V modeling lights and the 120V modeling lights.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

I've got the most current then, since I have the Quantum stype plugs. Cool, as I wondered about that! Thanks.