Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Copyright Releases
Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44665
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony_Collins

Tony_Collins is offline IP: 132.50.10.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Does anyone have a simple photographer copyright release that I can give to a model after a TFP/TFCD shoot?

Thanks guys/gals,

Tony
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tony_Collins Visit Tony_Collins's homepage! Find More Posts by Tony_Collins

Re: Copyright Releases
Old 07-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 68.72.13.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Copyright release? Why are you giving up your copyright? Do you mean just a model release?

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 07-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Because I'm doing a TFCD shoot and I want the young lady to be able to use them elsewhere or get them printed herself. We are both just starting out and do not wish to incurr any MORE expenses (especially me) than I absolutely have to (such as printing costs).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tony_Collins Visit Tony_Collins's homepage! Find More Posts by Tony_Collins

Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

Then you use a model release that gives her the right to use the imagesfor self promotion. There is no reason to give up your copyright. I assume you are shooting digital...If you were shooting film would you give her the negatives? Use a standard tfcd model release and specify on it that she can print the images if she wants. No reason to give up your copyright.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 07-29-2005, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

I guess that's what I'm asking for then. Most labs will not print the digital images unless there is a signed "release" from the photographer. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word copyright. That is what I've seen it referred to at some low end labs like wal-mart. I simply don't want her to have any issues getting her images printed wherever she chooses to get them printed.

Don\'t confuse model and copyright
Old 07-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Scott

Tony's asking for the right document. The model release is proably the WRONG place to do a copyright release / assignment. The model release allows you to use the model's likeness. You need to provide the model with the right to use the images you provide.

By giving a copyright release you're not selling or assigning the copyright away. You're just licensing it for a specific use. Just like you do in a commercial shoot when you license the client to use the images. Generally, the client doesn't own the copyright - unless that was agreed upon up front and part of the pricing.

Here's the simple statement I provide to the model with the CD:

"You are authorized to print images from the CD and use them for self promotion in a hard copy (print) book or electronically on web-based portfolios. You are not authorized to make copies for sale or to release the images for advertising."

This is provided in an e-mail with the model's name on it so that she can show this to a lab if she wants someone to print images. I've never had a complaint.

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Re: Don\'t confuse model and copyright
Old 07-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Actually... If I give someone a copyright release, by definition I am turning over my copyright to them. He wants to give them a specific usage of these images. That is very different then releasing the copyright. My TFCD release gives the models the rights to use the images but in most cases I require that they get the prints from me at my cost so that I know they are printed properly. On the rare occassions that I send a file to a model to print it themselves, I include a statement about like yours so that they can print it. That is NOT a release of the copyright. It is a right to print the image for a specific purpose. There is a very big difference.

A license to use is very different then a copyright release as I understand it from my attorney.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 65.0.251.211

I e-mailed you the partial waiver of copyright form I use to allow the model to print photos and use them on her web site.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 07-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.121.105.17

Uh, any chance you could post that? I'd like a copy as well.

Thanks.
E
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

I like that
Old 07-31-2005, 02:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

[ QUOTE ]
"You are authorized to print images from the CD and use them for self promotion in a hard copy (print) book or electronically on web-based portfolios. You are not authorized to make copies for sale or to release the images for advertising."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you phrased that, but I would add something about allowing usage on zed cards, OR remove the word "book", simply because by allowing "hard copy prints" you include Zed cards.

I have similar language on a form I use, but I also make the model sign it and keep a copy for myself, so I have her signature acknowleding her limited usage license. (When I do slides, I also include a time frame for them to return the slides to me, along with a count of how many slides they took).

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman