Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A question for the pros!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.208.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

I have a very small studio (about 400 sq. ft) and it's in a basement of another business. I also have really no way to get any sizable props downstairs because they are small and winding stairs. My question is do you build your own sets or do you go get a hotel room for some of the shots that have the bed, nightstand, lamps, etc? I know I don't need those items to have a good glamour shot but I really like an image that has props because it gives the image personality (IMHO).

Good day!!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Your space is small.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Creating sets in that space, simply leaves you with even less space.

My recommendation would be to use the studio for simpler work, and go on location for more complex environments. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: A question for the pros!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.153.14.16

This is in my 1st floor space, 20x20 (400sq) 11 ft ceiling. I use for intimate and erotic shoots and the loft/warehouse for other larger sets. I have a lot of props and stuff that I set up for each shoot. Try an airbed, they come in all sizes they work great. That is a queen size bed with lights over head and sides. The other shot is before the setup. The lights are moved to the back and sides and still have dressing/makeup and shooting space. Be creative, you can make it work. Good luck, see ya here in May at the GG workshop and you can check it out.

J

Re: Your space is small.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.208.143

I tend to agree with you on this one, Rick, but shooting on location usually involves spending money that I don't have at the current time due to the medical condition of my wife. I will have to be a bit creative I guess. Here is one thing I've done: I've purchased some fome-core 8x10 ft. panels, put some nice wall paper on two of them and place them side by side to form a fake wall. I also put a different kind of wall paper on the other side of those two panels and make another style of fake wall by turning them around. I also build my own light boxes, soft boxes, gobos, etc., out of schedule 40 PVC. I built a 4x8 foot diffusion panel for $17.00. Guess how much they cost at B&H? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm going to try and eventually find a bigger space but am limited right now. I've taken up wedding photography now so that I can make some quick money to dump into getting some things, including a bigger studio. SIGH

Thanks.

Good day!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Soft boxes...
Old 02-28-2003, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.195

Tell me of these softboxes and things with PVC...

Did you use the Tinkertoys ideas?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: Soft boxes...
Old 02-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 129.42.208.182

Ed,

I built one of the tinkertoys...and have only one thing to say...great idea but sawing pvc lengthways is a royal PITA....lol...but looks nice now done...

Rick

Understand.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Do the best you can, with what you have, but keep the sets as confined in space as possible, so you aren't tripping over everything while you work.

You can also use paneling to create "walls". Get the wallpaper print finish, back it with a 2x2 frame, and it is very serviceable, and much more durable than foam core.

Create drape effects by using wide velveteen fabric. (Or any other fabric that drapes well.)

Large cushions on a carpet remnant, or a piece of upholstery remnant can also make a good floor shooting space.

On anything the model sits on, though, try to avoid pure foam rubber stuffing, as they will sink into it too much.

Use concrete forms, painted or even textured, for columns.

In a pinch, create columns from seamless, cut to fit the ceiling height.

Visit prop houses for rental stuff, like balustrades, etc.

Hope those suggestions will stimulate your ideas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Soft boxes...
Old 02-28-2003, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.209.237

Hi Ed,

Yes, I use the Tinkertoy ideas. They tend to work pretty well but they are a PITA to cut length-wise. I used a bench vise and a pneumatic cutting bit to do that. It went through the PVC like it was warm butter.

I want to make more but I have a very small studio. I don't want to clutter it all up with so many light modifiers that there is no room left for me and my clients... hehehehe Finding studio space around here where I live is hard to do unless I purchase an entire building or pay an exorbitant amount for rent, which I can ill afford at this point.

I need to play with different materials to put over the framework now because I'm not getting the effect that I want. It may just be my lighting skills (or lack thereof) but I think I need another layer of white, rip-stop nylon to cut down the light levels a bit. Try and try again I guess. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike