Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How can I create a paid area on a website?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Can anyone tell me how to add a "paid" membership area to a website?

I'm building another "portfolio" website for another models (nothing new there). But this model just informed me that she has a lot of nude images from shoots with other photographers that she'd like to add to her website -- and wants them in a "paid membership" area, so she can make some money (I saw that coming). Anywayz, I'm pretty good at writing HTML and can repurpose some javascripts, but I know nothing about PHP or any database driven coding -- or where to find some "membership website" software. Help!

As an incentive, any of you website geeks who can help me will get a complimentary one-year membership to her site.

Thanks

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: How can I create a paid area on a website?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Primary question:

Does she have a merchant account to process credit card payments?

If she doesn't, you're going to have to use a market maker like PayPal or CCNow and most of them don't want anything to do with adult websites.

It's pretty easy to password-project areas of a website if you can do a little configuring to the server which runs it, or if the people who do are willing to put a few privileges on your account, but the hard part is syncing up the payments with the passwords. If you want it to be automatic and instantaneous, you're going to need somebody who knows what they're doing.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 07-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

You can find adult servers that provide the interface for the pay site thing. There will be setup fees for the merchant account, etc.
But I question whether a model with a few nude photos is going to be able to keep a pay site going. To make one of those things work you're going to have to put up new content every week and quite a bit of content or no one will pay beyond a trial period. I've known several models who tried to make the pay sites work and they didn't make it past the first year. There is so much competition (Playboy for example) that have high quality content that is is very difficult for the newcomer to break in.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

I completely agree that this is probably a losing venture, but I want to be prepared just in case she passes Phase 1 of my requirements. One of the stipulations I put into all my contracts with models looking for membership websites is -- they must "bank" at least three months worth of images (about 1,000 high-quality, web-ready images showing a minimum of 10 different outfits/setups) before we even launch a website. I recommend weekly shoots for the first few months, then monthly shoots after that. So far, every model has flaked out afte a few weeks of shoots - they got busy, lost interest, spaced out, etc.

On a related note -- I just noticed one fo the models I shot TFCD with has launched a website. On the website she give another local photographer credit, even though she features mostly MY images. And, she's listed a few of my images in her store for sale. Should I pursue, or just asume there's not much revenue and forget about it?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-27-2005, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

[ QUOTE ]
On a related note -- I just noticed one fo the models I shot TFCD with has launched a website. On the website she give another local photographer credit, even though she features mostly MY images. And, she's listed a few of my images in her store for sale. Should I pursue, or just asume there's not much revenue and forget about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on what rights you grant in your release when you shoot TFCD. I usually grant rights for the model to use them in her personal portfolio or online portfolio, but not for resale or for paid sites. I doubt there is much money in persuing it, but you might drop her a note and ask for photographer credits.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

ccbill sets it all up for you if you use them. The problem is visa will want the $750 upfront just to give you the option to eccept visa charges. Paysite + nude girls = 2257 rules also. For most people that idea is dead in the water.. It is alot of work and not much money in it anymore. She needs to talk with other models and see what is in store for her if she go's that route. You can thank the ( blanks ) in DC for all of that.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography