Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Do lenses go bad
Old 07-22-2005, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35834
Comments: 0

MNfotog is offline IP: 216.185.205.55

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After two years of use.. as of late my 24 70L seems to not focus or is not as sharp as my tamron 70-200 or something like that. I have done 3 shoots in three days and most of the images look as if they were shot in severe fog or haze..... Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MNfotog Find More Posts by MNfotog

Re: Do lenses go bad
Old 07-22-2005, 02:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Have you bumped into anything with the camera lately? Its possible you dinged it without knowing it, and stripped a gear or something. Lenses usually don't just go out of focus on their own, I've owned some for many years with no problem. There is a concept called "body focus" which is where you hit the lens, and it slightly bends the mount on the camera, where the lense connects with it. But as I write this, I'm not sure it would be a problem on an auto-focus camera. It used to manifest itself in that you would see a tack sharp image in the viewfinder, but the lens was off a bit. With AF, its possible that the lens would focus correctly, but appear out of focus in the viewfinder, but such a problem would be more prominent with longer lenses which you say is not the case. Its also possible that the lens was always soft, but you didn't notice it until your photographic eye developed, and now you see it and it bothers you. Try shooting some images with very defined graphics or faces with freckles and good eyelashes. Use a tripod, and do it at various f-stop/ shutter speed combinations. If its soft, you should it, and if its soft at the smaller f-stops (f8 to f22) then you really do have a problem.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 07-22-2005, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 24.178.196.192

Micheal,

If you've discounted the possibility that it's condensation (like you get when you walk out of an air conditioned/refrigerated enviornment into a warm, humid mass of air), then you might take a real close look to see if you can see something that looks vaugely like very fine spider webs inside the lens.

If so, you probably have some fungus growing inside the lens. Also more likely to happen in a warm moist environment, but...

Yeah, lenses do go "bad" when that happens, and it's a gradual thing so that you might not notice it right away. In my case, I had inherited a lens from another photog in our shop in a Southeast Asian conflict a long, long time ago... and used it for a while, noticing only that it seemed to be a bit "softer" than I remembered. Another guy borrowed it one day and brought it right back, complaining about it. The repair guy looked at it and found the fungus inside on a couple of the internal elements.

It became a "combat loss" the next time I went out on an assignment. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36300

craigh is offline IP: 68.201.18.205

Little to nothing happens to the glass elements, but the machinery in the lens can come out of alignment either by age (less likely) or from an unfortunately well placed bump (more likely). The only remedy is have it professionally cleaned and adjusted by a factory authorized facility.

-Craig
  View Public Profile Send a private message to craigh Visit craigh's homepage! Find More Posts by craigh

Old 07-22-2005, 09:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Everyone has mentioned a possibility - mechanical problems due to a bump or rough handling, condensation or fungus - and they're all quite possible. Also, if you routinely clean your lens surface incorrectly, you could be scratching the surface, or could have removed the anti-reflective coatings.

The description sounds like the loss occurred over a short time, so I'd suspect the rough handling. Condensation, fungus, or scratches you should be able to directly observe through a careful inspection.

Lenses can "wear out" - but it'll be the mechanical movements, or possibly an electrical malfunction. The optics don't. [Although, in our poorly ventilated chemistry lab, we've had optical components become sufficiently coated and corroded over a ten-year period that the instrument is rendered useless. I suppose if you shot A LOT in harsh environments...]

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 07-22-2005, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37344

slowpokebill is offline IP: 67.2.92.192

Here is something worth a try. Take an eraser, cotton swab and a little rubbing alcohol to the electrical contacts on both the body and lens.

I had, coincidently, a 24-70f/2.8L that started to not want to hit the right focus most of the time. I thought it had gone out of calibration and it was really frustrating me. I clean the contacts every so often as part of my regular maintenance. Cleaned the contacts on that lens...bang...it went back to focusing spot on and giving me nice sharp images again.

Any way maybe a little contact cleaning will help. Condensation and internal fungus you can see when looking through the lens.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to slowpokebill Visit slowpokebill's homepage! Find More Posts by slowpokebill

Old 07-22-2005, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

I'm hearing that deep voice on an infomercial saying "When good lenses go Bad"... sorry, can't help myself. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

What did you do to it??
Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.161

I've had my share of lenses go bad on me.. my 20-200 needs fixing after I dropped it..waist level onto solid ground.. it bounced a few timesand rolled a little.. and just prior to that, some ***** kid thought it would be funny to step in side of my camera bag when it was on the floor right next to me.. and put his full weight on the lens, cracking the barrel of it..

My 17-35 L has the AF switch broken off..

I had a 300mm f4 IS go dead in MF before... and my 28-70 has a new USM motor installed after one day, just not working..

My 80-200 L had issues with the zoom ring getting very hard to turn especially in cold weather...

so,... a lens going bad, or going soft sounds like something that a lens is capable of doing.. I've heard a few things about the 24-70 L that make me want to keep my trusty 28-70 L.. Why replace something that works well..

JP

Thanks to everyone
Old 07-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35834

MNfotog is offline IP: 216.185.205.55

Thank You for all the help. I haven't even come close to dropping my camera yet (knock on wood). I think it could be a condensation issue or the contacts may need to be cleaned . JP might be able to answer this question... on the 10D in the custom functions the focus point is set on spot off of the top in portrait photos, but on the focus point button on the back of the camera the button is set to the top of the portrait, could this be causing the problem and which has priority? Thanks again Micheal
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MNfotog Find More Posts by MNfotog