Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Advice on getting some lights.... please help??
Old 07-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44294
Comments: 0

Darrin is offline IP: 68.186.165.72

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello,

I am new to the glamour world (I have done sports photography for quite some time) and I was looking at getting some lights. I am looking at continious lighting and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have talked to and done some research on Photoflex. But any kind of advice would be helpful. Light are like golf ball brnds, there are just so many out there that you use what brand of ball feels confortable. Is it retty much the same for lighting? And what kind would you recommend for a beginner in glamour? Any information would help me.

Thanks,
Darrin Spencer
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Darrin Visit Darrin's homepage! Find More Posts by Darrin

Re: Advice on getting some lights.... please help??
Old 07-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 65.54.154.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you have a tight budget you can make some decent lights from the continuous hot lights that can be bought at places like Home Depot or Lowes. These are 500 watt lights that can work well for certain indoor situations. Here is an expample from those type of lights.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Let me ask a question first...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.81.25

Let me ask a question first. What prompted your decision to go continuous lighting over strobe?

There are plus and minuses to both types of lighting. Obviously continuous lights are a little easier to work with since what you see is what you get, mostly. They can also be somewhat less expensive than strobes.

There are a variety of types of continuous lights; incandescent, halogen, florescent, etc. Each has somewhat uniqe characteristics.

Just keep in mind that light is light whether it comes from a fixture with a fancy photography company name on it or or not. I hate to bring this up cause it's a long running discussion, but many respected photographers use shop lights from the home remodeling places like Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc.

I am a bit biased towards strobes. If you ever lean that way, be sure to check out Alien Bees. Lots of bang for the buck there.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 07-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.19.14.15

I would get strobes, and not even consider doing otherwise.

The ONLY reason to avoid strobes is if you have no money. But if that's the case, why not make reflectors and diffusers and shoot outdoors?

Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.195.60

Darrin,

I used to use Vivitar 283's with my 32 inch Larsen umbrellas, with AC adapters and slaved. 25 years ago power packs were too expensive unless you were a professional. Also, with film we had to use guide numbers to set the lights.

We got it easy now...get a couple Alien Bees and you will be set for model photography. The Vivitars are still used for lighting my backgrounds on occasion.

Side note: The Vivitar 283 is still being sold and unbelievably, my Wein 500 flash light meter is still listed at B&H! Compare that with cameras...who would use a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic today?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 07-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I think the old Vivitar 283 was one of the great flashes of all time. I certainly got many years out of mine. But today, with Alien Bees around, there's no reason to buy the on camera flashes.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-22-2005, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40419

Antwan is offline IP: 206.53.183.233

If you are going to go the hot light route, I would suggest getting JTL Hot Lights from J&K; I have a set and they are pretty good. The hot lights from Home Depot are just as effective and cheap BUT they get VERY HOT real fast! I don't think your model will appreciate that very much.

Do a search on Ebay for J&K and you will see what different hot lights they have.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Antwan Visit Antwan's homepage! Find More Posts by Antwan

Re: Let me ask a question first...
Old 07-22-2005, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44294

Darrin is offline IP: 68.186.165.72

Thanks for the response. My reason for chosing continous is that I would like to see what I am taking a picture of. On down the road strobes may be what I end up buying, I'm not sure. I guess this is like trial and error. It may cost me more money, but I will learn. Would you reccommend strobes over continious? If so could you let me know why.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Darrin Visit Darrin's homepage! Find More Posts by Darrin

What you see is what you get ...
Old 07-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

If you go continuous lighting you can see exactly what you're going to get, but you'll have to have a great deal of watts to be able to handhold your shots. The more hot lights you put up, the more uncomfortable the model becomes and they also tend to squint. Also, decent hot lights are going to cost you just as much as something like a set of Alien Bee strobes. Now with any strobes with modeling lights you're also going to be able to see what you get. The Bee's for example can be set so that the modeling lights track the power of the strobe so you get a pretty close approximation of what you're going to get. I still use hot lights from time to time, but only for product shots. And I use the twist flouresents which generate very little heat. But you have to shoot at 1/60th or less for consistent exposure, so that almost always means a tripod needs to be used.

Why not take a look at the Alien Bees, and see if they don't look interesting for what you want to do.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: What you see is what you get ...
Old 07-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.121

[ QUOTE ]
If you go continuous lighting you can see exactly what you're going to get, but you'll have to have a great deal of watts to be able to handhold your shots. The more hot lights you put up, the more uncomfortable the model becomes and they also tend to squint. Also, decent hot lights are going to cost you just as much as something like a set of Alien Bee strobes. Now with any strobes with modeling lights you're also going to be able to see what you get. The Bee's for example can be set so that the modeling lights track the power of the strobe so you get a pretty close approximation of what you're going to get. I still use hot lights from time to time, but only for product shots. And I use the twist flouresents which generate very little heat. But you have to shoot at 1/60th or less for consistent exposure, so that almost always means a tripod needs to be used.

Why not take a look at the Alien Bees, and see if they don't look interesting for what you want to do.

Cheers,
rfs

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please give me more info on those flouresents?

JP