Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
monitor problem revisited, question for the PC geeks
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Believe it or not, I'm still tryiing to resolve my monitor issue, and would ask especially the PC guys to offer any suggestions. Briefly, the situation is, I have a new Lacie Electron 19 Blue IV monitor that looks terrible on my Dell PC. Lacie already exchanged it for another one 6 weeks ago, but the new one also looks bad in the same way (too yellow, too saturated). I've be able to "calibrate" it with Monaco OPTIX system to where the system says its "calibrated", even though it looks too dark, and still looks oversaturated and yellow. I have tried it on my other Dell PC with the same results (the new machine has a Radeon x300 video card, the other a Nvidia). The Dell LCD screen I also have and normally use with the old machine looks great on both PCs. I tried hooking the Lacie up to a friend's MAC and it looks perfect. My last thought was to try another video card, Lacie's tech people said to try a Radeon 9600 which is what they use to test them. I called ATI (maker of the Radeon card) and gave them the rundown and they don't think a new card will make a difference, they think there is just some incompatibility here which cannot be rectified and I should get a different monitor altogehter. I have heard from users on this board and elsewhere that they are happy with their Lacie on a Dell PC, I am not. This was intended to be the GOOD monitor attached to the new fast PC for PS and imaging, buts not working out that way so far. Any ideas before it goes up on Ebay? Should I try the new video card just to be sure?

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: monitor problem revisited, question for the PC geeks
Old 07-21-2005, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 24.178.196.192

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Andy,

An inexpensive video card would certainly be a quick debugging path. You might be able to borrow one from a local PC shop, and while you're there, try a couple of different CRT monitors on the current video card just to verify that it's not the monitor.

There really shouldn't be any reason why the hardware is not capable of displaying a good calibrated image. Most folks seem to think that a well-calibrated monitor does, indeed, display an image that's a bit darker than what most folks run their monitor at, but the yellowish and oversaturated don't sound "normal".

By the way, have you tried any other video drivers from the ATI site, just to see if there are any changes?

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

If the monitor appears dim and yellow, you're probably setting color temperature twice: once via the monitor's controls and again with video card or monitor calibration software. This results in overcorrection, so don't set it in both. It is preferable to set color temperature via the monitor, and then use monitor calibration software to set black level and gamma. Here's a great article that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know:

Monitor Calibration and gamma

The author of the article recommends a little utility called QuickGamma to set black level and gamma. You can find the program here: Quick Gamma website

I'd be curious to know how well this free utility compares with a calibrator. If you wouldn't mind humoring me, give it a try and let me know how close it comes to something like a spyder.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.65.123

Interesting problem. While my system calibration is limited to Mac, I do use a Dell at home. I have gotten excellent results out of a "Spyder" brand calibrator. You might want to try a different calibrator before getting rid of such a good monitor.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.10.159

Probably a stupid suggestion but I will still make it. Did you unload the gamma loader in the start up? I am looking into a calibraiton device myself and remember them saying something about it removing it from the boot up.
I had also found a site that has a quick and dirty calibration tool, but I forgot to bookmark it. I think I found it here while searching for "calibration" advice. I think I still have the downloaded file but it requires your card to have a LUT (look up table) which my old radeon 9500 doesn't use. The file was named quickgamma and a quick yahoo search will yield a download site. It might help to debug your profile issue.

Chris
P.S. Have you tried to see what adobe gamma correction thru windows does to your colors?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

you win the prize.....
Old 07-22-2005, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Even though the computer is less than a year old, I did take your suggestion and go to the ATI site (a really awful, complicated site BTW) and spent some time figuring out which product line, which driver, what the extraneous terms and product names refer to, and finally end up downloading an updated driver, uninstalling the old one, installing the new one (with some fluff features they had to add) and when I was done and re-booted, I could see the difference immediately, although it did take running the calibration process and some further tweaking in the driver's software to get it right, but its just about perfect now. I think I can live with it, I may call the ATI folks again tomorrow for more info because its not quite 100%, but its helluva lot closer than it was and well within site of being perfect, so thanks for the suggestion. I wonder why none of the other tech folks - including the ATI guy - didn't suggest it?

BTW, here's a link to the ATI page I finally found that sort of explains the drivers and downloads, but its confusing as hell, especially for a consumer who is told simply to "go download the latest driver". But then I should have known better: video drivers have always been the most confusing part of the whole computer game. ATI driver page

Thanks
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Yes, I had eliminated Adobe gamma from loading. Check my reply with "prize" in the title to see the fix.

Thanks,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

That was what the Lacie chief monitor engineer suggested, of course he wanted me to use their spyder, which costs about $300, almost as much as the monitor. I did solve it, check the post with "prize" in the title.

Thanks,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

Re: you win the prize.....
Old 07-22-2005, 02:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 24.178.196.192

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why none of the other tech folks - including the ATI guy - didn't suggest it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. If you never got past Level 1 support, I'd guess it wasn't in their script... if you ask most people what version their video driver is, they probably wouldn't be able to answer. Having gone through something similar with 25 computers in a lab environment, though, I should've thought and suggested the drivers first (sound of slapping of forehead!).

Glad to hear it's almost right. Hopefully that last little tweaking will be easier than your first steps.

OK, so what'd I win? Can ya set me up with a TFP session with Mandy Ashford or Erika Valdez? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36639
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryTreleaven

BarryTreleaven is offline IP: 202.6.138.42

Quick Gamma works a treat it used to have a bug with XP but not now I can keep the windows gamma 2.2 and that makes all the difference with my printing with the epsonR800 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarryTreleaven Visit BarryTreleaven's homepage! Find More Posts by BarryTreleaven