Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
gettin\' gassed
Old 07-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In a week my condo complex is being tented and fumigated for
termites, with a gas called Vikane. We have to move-out during this, and
double-bag all our opened food to prevent the gas from affecting
(infecting?) it. I was wondering if this stuff would have any negative
affect on processed film - like in the six 4-drawer file cabinets worth
of slides I have in my home office. Also, any affect on computers, scanners, CDs, etc?
The fumigation company says no problem, and my father (a chemist) says
that its a bromide-based compound that would only react with something
that could absorb it (like food). I just wanted to hear from anyone who
may have actually been through this.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: gettin\' gassed
Old 07-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 70.59.249.3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Andy,

From one bad experience... make sure your computers, radios, TV's are at least covered.

I put my entire desktop tower in a double black heavy duty plastic bag. I placed it down into the first one, and tied it tight.. then placed another down over it. I had had an experience with a fogging for bugs once before and didnt cover the computers.. Next day I turned it on.. and zzzzziizztzzzz.. computer fried. some residue of the chemical didnt quite dry, and some residue got in on the motherboard.

Best bet.. cover monitor as well as computer. Anything that the chemical gets on needs to be really cleaned quite well, as that chemical is posionous. clothes, are going to absorb it.. so bag them and anything in the dresser drawers too.

Trust me.. being safe is better then not being safe. stuff in the file cabinets.. should be ok, but make sure the drawers are closed well.

They spray a heavy mist or FOG in the building.. it disapates well, but is is a liquid.. regardless of how fast it evaporates.

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

If it were me I'd wrap the filing cabinets, the scanners, and anything else where I wouldn't want a residue coming into contact with my negatives. Had a flea issue a couple of years ago and used plastic sheeting and duct tape to do the filing cabinets. I used kitchen trash bags to cover the scanners. Wiped down with a towel and cut the stuff away in less than 15 minutes after the fact. Ask yourself this: How pi$$ed are you going to be if, a few years out, you've got weird chemical stains on some of your negatives? Is it worth an hour or two (max) of your time to take some preventive measures?

You won't have a problem with CD's, computers, or electronics. Just wipe them down and vaccum afterwards. Heck, the stuff might even fix a Windows virus or two and remove spyware [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Re: gettin\' gassed - add\'l info
Old 07-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

Before everyone tells me about the residue, chemicals, poisons, fumes, etc, let me clarify that this process does NOT leave a residue, is not a fog-based insecticide, etc. All it does is replace the oxygen in the house, and smother the critters. The chemical reacts with and "eats" the oxygen, which is why people can't survive it. I have a neighbor who had the same thing done to her house by the same company and verified - no residue, no poisons, nothing to wash, etc. The only reason to protect opened food is (aside from state law) the chemical can reside in a soft, absorbant material, until it is exposed to oxygen during the ventilation process after the application. Once it ventilates, it becomes benign and leaves no trace. The question is, is there anything about film, CDs, computers, etc, that might absorb the chemical?

I appreciate all the speculation, but I'd rather hear from folks who've actually been through THIS process without specifically protecting film and such, and survived (or didn't).

Thanks
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 07-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38438
My Mood:

girlfair is offline IP: 69.40.223.162

Back in my day job life, we would have our entire office (located over a redeveloped landfill) gassed every year. I'm not sure if the gas was Vikane or not, but the oxygen depletion thing was the description of how the process worked. Our pest control company GUARANTEED no negative effects on magnetic (computer) media and photographic materials from this process, because of no residue, etc., and we certainly NOTICED no effects in any of our film storage, (company training and promotional film and slide shows, and microfilm and fiche). We didn't even cover the cabinets, as I remember, just closed and locked them and made sure everything was in its case. After they're done (if it's the same process) there is NO residue left behind of any kind, really no detectable side effects at all, we had this done every year the last five years I was there. Hope that helps a little.

Oh, and by the way, it was really expensive, and it works. You won't just lose the termites. Everything living, dies. Period.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to girlfair Visit girlfair's homepage! Find More Posts by girlfair

Re: gettin\' gassed - add\'l info
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 70.59.249.3

ok.. just dug into some files.. and I appologize.. it wasnt Vikane that was used (but I was told it was).

I guess it was my bad.. lol

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.63.21

home depot.... cheap, thin-mil plastic drop cloths... wrap anything and everything you're worried about (like the 4-drawer cabinet)... why take a chance?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 209.16.210.95

Vikane is made by Dow and here is a link to information on its use.

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/.../wn07-105.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles

Shouldn\'t be a problem...
Old 07-23-2005, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Art
Film Dinosaur

Member GG#: 35716

Art is offline IP: 69.37.84.178

Vikane (sulfuryl floride) is a true gas that should disperse and does not leave any residue. It may be reactive to certain materials though - it's a strong base - so, ventillation afterwards is vital, especially to your health.

I would cover up you cabinets (with film) to minimize exposure to the gas, but right afterwards, I'd ventilate as much as possible to further disperse the gas and reduce the amount of contact time. I don't think anything will happen to your slides, this is just a precaution, that, honestly, may be over the top.

Here's the MSDS from Dow: http://www.vikanemonitor.com/vikanetech.htm

Vikane is the gas of choice in our company whenever we need to fumigate offices, which, honestly, is extremely rare and usually with very old legacy spaces. Computers left open for exposure, but ventilation afterwards is performed for a while. No ill affects of electronic devices have ever been reported.

Art.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Art Visit Art's homepage! Find More Posts by Art

Old 07-23-2005, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.142.149

I've absolutely no idea as to your questions, that's way above my 'pay grade'. But I'm curious, don't termites reside within the wood and in the ground outside of the house? Won't they come back as soon as the gas disipates?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester