Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
LENS question!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 69.232.189.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i know little - nothing about lenses, even the simple WHY i would use one or the other for different shots. ive never used anything but a 50mm. know any sites that explain the WHYs and make suggestions? im shooting canon.

if you HAD to choose only one lens to use EVER. (dont necessarily have to already have it) what would you choose and why?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: LENS question!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 24.178.196.192

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
i know little - nothing about lenses, even the simple WHY i would use one or the other for different shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, I'm impressed. I don't know of anyone else that would've stood up on the soapbox and professed lack of basic knowledge about lenses. So, here's a short lesson for you.

Rule #1 - there is no single lens that will do everything you'll ever want, so your question about which one lense a person would want is bogus... we ALL want more than one lens and will kill when put in the position such as you propose. Therefore, DO NOT get in between a photog and his lenses, if you value your health and bones being intact. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When at rest, just looking around at nothing in particular, the human eye/brain combination sees an angle-of-view of about 45 degrees on either side of your nose. That doesn't include peripheral vision, just what you normally see when you look straight ahead.

A "normal" lens for a camera, any camera, is one that will approximate that angle of view, plus or minus a little bit.

For a 6cmX6cm camera, the focal length of a lens that will approximate that angle-of-view is somewhere in the range of 90-120mm. For a 35mm full frame film camera, it's somewhere around 40-70mm.

That's why 6x6 cameras' normal lenses are often 90mm, and a 35mm camera's normal lens will be about 50 or 55mm long.

Anything shorter (focal length) than normal (and normal is really in quotation marks, since everyone's eye/brain combination sees slightly different angles of view) would increase the angle of view so that the shorter focal length you get, the wider angle-of-view.

On my RB67 (a film camera that uses 120 size film to produce an image that's 6cm X 7cm) the lens that produces a super wide angle view of over 180 degrees is a 37mm lens. On a 35mm film camera, the same lens would need to be about 18mm to cover the same angle of view.

Anything longer than normal would decrease the angle of view so that the longer the focal length you get, the narrower angle-of-view.

On a 35mm film camera (and I keep mentioning film, because digital cameras introduce some variables into this discussion that are best left alone for a minute), a common 'short' telephoto lens might be anywhere from 85-105mm. Lenses in this range are commonly sought after for portraiture, because the longer the lens, the more compressed the image is nd that usually produces a n attractive effect when photographing a person.

A moderate telephoto lens would be in the range of 135-200mm, and you're getting pretty serious when you start using a lens over 300mm long.

The selection of a lens, then, is often a series of questions you have to answer.

What angle of view do I want? If I'm photographing a plane in the sky, I don't necessarily want to have to blow up the image (or crop if I'm using digital) so that I only am using 1/10th of the full frame if I can help it. A longer lens, then, will make the airplane fill more of the frame so I get more detail.

Do I want more compression in the image than not? If so, a telephoto is more likely to produce an acceptable image for me than not.

Do I want great separation in my subjects? If so, then a wide angle lens would produce the opposite effect of the compression that telephotos do... they make things look farther away than they really are (remember the mirror on the car - it uses curvature of the mirror surface to show a wider angle of view than you'd normally see in a mirror that wasn't curved, and demonstrates that anti-compression quite well.

Digital cameras, because most of them do not use sensors that are the same size as a 35mm film image, have a multiplier effect that makes the lens work as if it were a longer version.... for example, on my Nikon D100, lenses have a multiplication factor of 1.5. Thus, my 80-200mm lens, when cranked out to the full 200mm setting, will show me the same angle-of-view as if I had a 300mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

So, to sort of answer your question as to which lenses are considered essential by me... I've got three that I carry in my primary bag and are the most often used lenses on my D100...

a Sigma 18-27mm lens is my wide angle lens.

a Nikon 35-70mm is my "normal" to short telephoto

a Nikon 80-200mm is my short telephoto to medium-long

That help any?

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43942

Stupid is offline IP: 169.138.169.138

Thanks, that was very helpful to me (yet another amateur).
  View Public Profile Visit Stupid's homepage! Find More Posts by Stupid

Old 07-18-2005, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35229

fotoguy is offline IP: 69.172.209.19

your question could have many answers. I think first you should look at which genre you want to shoot and then go from there. While I my favorite is the 70-200 2.8 (cause I shoot outdoors at the beach) it aint gonna do you any good if you are shooting in a hotel room [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to fotoguy Visit fotoguy's homepage! Find More Posts by fotoguy

Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Wayne's post was very good. I'll add a few more factors that are controlled by the lens on your camera:

1) Zoom.

The focal length that the lens is set to determines the angle of view and the relative size of objects in the frame. The higher the number, the smaller the angle of view and the larger the relative size. Basically, big numbers = magnification. My 70-300mm lens (which is even larger when you consider the crop factor of my camera) can do closeups of a person who is 30 feet away at full zoom. (However, it's very hard to hold it steady.)

Zoom is not an unmixed blessing: if I want to take a picture of someone and I have my big zoom on, I *have* to stand several feet away. This is great if I'm outdoors but not if I'm in a small studio. For that I want a shorter focal length.

2) Speed.

The lens controls the "speed" of the camera, because the lens determines the maximum aperture. This is the "f-stop" number and it's a ratio between the size of the aperture - the actual hole that opens up and lets light through the lens - and the focal length. Bigger hole, more light. (You have to remember that f-stop is inverse: f2.8 is a *larger* aperture than f8.0.) More light, less time for the shutter to be open. Every "stop" is twice as much light, so you'll get the same exposure if you double the f-stop and halve the shutter speed, or vice versa. This is critical in low-light situations and/or with moving subjects. I can take pictures of belly dancers in nightclubs with *no flash,* if I use my 50mm prime lens which has a very fast maximum aperture of f1.8. My "main" lens has a maximum aperture of like f4.5, and even if I jack my ISO equivalent up to 800 it's still iffy to try to shoot the same picture.

3) Depth of Field.

This is also tied to the lens's aperture. The lower the f-stop (the larger the aperture) the shallower the depth of field will be. There are mathematical formulas that will tell you what the DOF will be at a given focal length and aperture, but that's high-end juju. For most photographers, you just remember that the lower the f-stop, the narrower the plane of focus will be. Non-full-frame digital cameras don't offer as much DOF possibility as full-frame and film cameras, but I can use a 50mm (85mm equivalent) prime on my camera for a portrait and have the eyes of the subject in sharp focus and their facial features slightly blurred, which is a pretty damn narrow plane of focus. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 07-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.25.109

Mostly it has all been said. Here is one thing that I did. Owning Nikon glass gets real expensive, it is also really heavy to lug around. In addition to the heavy glass (up to 300mm f2.8) I bought a 28-300mm, f3.5-4.0, Tamron zoom. The lense has good stats, it is light and compact. I affectionately call it my "travel" lense. One body, one lense, and I am in point and shoot heaven with great equipment. The lense was not that expensive, and the one caution is that you sometimes need to watch for flares because of all the internal elements in the lense.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 67.187.34.183

Wayne did a great job and made almost all of my points (great job Wayne). My favorite lens this week is my Nikor 24-120. it's wide enough for my travel and landscape photography (although I'd love a true 12mm) and it's long enough on my D100 for pool and beach shots (although I wish it were faster). That new 80-200 f2.8 VR would be sweet, but since most of my model shooting is in my small "in-home studio" -- at 200mm I'd shoot nothing but nose hairs and nipples.

I don't know what my next lens will be, but I can tell you it will have a fixed, fast aperature!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41021

PhotoDave is offline IP: 64.7.210.199

[ QUOTE ]
...I'd shoot nothing but nose hairs and nipples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet that half of your shots will be popular [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by PhotoDave

Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

If I really could have only one lens, then the Sigma 18-125 on my Canon 20D seems to give you the best of three worlds. It is the equivalent of a 28-200 on a 35mm camera. So you have wide angle to medium telephoto which gives you a lot of range. It is quite sharp, samll, fast and easy to use and carry. It's also cheap.

Most of these shots used that lens:

All of these shots were with that lens:

If you go to this URL, you can see all the train shots larger:

http://rfredricksmith.com/trains/

Just click on any of the photos in the collage at the url to see the larger ones.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.8.210

im glad to admit i dont know what im doing, i cant learn anything by faking it! lots of useful info thanks so much.

-tim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama