Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
20D & Strobe Lighting questions
Old 07-16-2005, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44665
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony_Collins

Tony_Collins is offline IP: 66.82.9.41

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all. First I want to say how informative this site is! So much usefull informaiton, it's almost overwhelming.

I shoot with a Canon 20D, and I have a set of Alien Bees (DigiBee Package), two AB 400s, with the white and the silver umbrella. I also use a Seikronic 358 meter.

Have been metering my key light at f/8 and the fill at f/5.6. Shadows look pretty good, but in my opinion, the lit side of the models face seems just a tad bright. Skin tones just don't look right. I admit, that I am just now experimenting with the white balance settings and my camera, and I suspect that this is the culprit. I"ve read a lot on here about setting the color temp on the 20D to 6000K to fool the camera into thinking the light is much cooler than it really is, and in effect, bringing out more of a saturated look.

Any suggestions?

Tony
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tony_Collins Visit Tony_Collins's homepage! Find More Posts by Tony_Collins

Re: 20D & Strobe Lighting questions
Old 07-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Toni....you only have one stop difference between main and fill...thats going to look pretty flat...try 3:1 ratio on main and fill...if your main is f8 and your camera is set at f8 it shouldnt be too bright....
just a suggestion.

Don.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

oops Tony! with a Y..sorry bout that!

Don

Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Tony_Collins is offline IP: 66.82.9.41

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried the 3:1 on the lights as of yet.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tony_Collins Visit Tony_Collins's homepage! Find More Posts by Tony_Collins

Old 07-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35979
Send a message via Yahoo to PhotosByMorganII

PhotosByMorganII is offline IP: 66.190.65.40

First question - Are you looking at the photos on your computer monitor or on the LCD on the camera?

Second Question - have you followed the guidlines for calibrating your meter to your camera so that you get more accurate readings to set your camera to?

Third Question - are you shooting in raw mode or JPG?

give me more info and I am sure I can give you more guidance that will help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByMorganII Visit PhotosByMorganII's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByMorganII

Old 07-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

[ QUOTE ]
I"ve read a lot on here about setting the color temp on the 20D to 6000K to fool the camera into thinking the light is much cooler than it really is, and in effect, bringing out more of a saturated look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the 20D with Alien Bees too, Tony, and have found that you definitely need to bump the color temp over to warm up your final image. Of course, if shooting Raw you cna readjust it in post-processing -- but always best to get it right in-camera is my philosophy. A fast fix for this is to set the 20D to the Shade or Cloudy preset (temps of 6000 and 7000 respectively if memory serves me right).

Gotta agree with Don, too, on light ratio. Incidentally, I was just reading the online manual over at the Bee site yesterday and they noted the need for different wattage bulbs for the modeling lamps if you are using them as a guideline in setting up the lights (I usually do, being a WYSIWYG kinda guy). I believe they suggested 150 watts for B1600 units, 75 watts for B800s and 40 watts for B400s -- something like that. At any rate, worth a look see to keep things right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

One other fast thing -- you can file under "You've gotta love the service Alien Bee gives you". I originally purchased two B400s two B800s. About a week ago I remembered that they offer upgrading the units to higher power for $25 plus the difference between the price of the unit you have and the one you want to upgrade to.

So I contact them only to learn that it has to be within two years of purchase -- mine are 2 1/2 years old. But the service rep tells me, "You know what? That's close enough -- send em down and well do it anyway!" That's service with a smile for sure! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Good luck with it!
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Save ya from tracking it down ...
Old 07-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Here's what they note over on their site ....

The modeling lamp can be set to full brightness, turned completely off, or set to track the power changes by pushing in the grey TRACK button. When set to tracking mode, the modeling lamp will brighten and dim as you adjust the flashpower, matching the output from Full down to 1/32nd of the brightness. This allows you a true preview, and is especially beneficial in multi-light setups. When using multiple flash units, if you set the modeling lamp in each unit to track the changes made in power, you will have an accurate preview of the brightness and specularity of each light in exact ratios, regardless of the individual settings for each light.

For multi-light setups, we strongly recommend that you use multiple lights in the same model (for example, three B800 units) to maintain the accuracy of this preview. When using multiple light setups where different power models are present, you may want to replace the modeling lamp(s) in the lower power model(s), to get an accurate preview with matched ratios. For example, if you have a three-light setup with two B1600 units and one B800 unit, you can keep the 100 watt bulbs in the B1600 models, and replace the lamp in the B800 model with a 75 watt bulb. This way, the preview will not only reflect the power settings, it will additionally maintain the accurate ratios of power in your setup.

I was thinking 40 watts sounded pretty darned dim even as I typed it ... lol
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 07-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Tony_Collins is offline IP: 66.82.9.52

No, I haven't calibrated anything. I try to go by the LCD on the camera, but only using the histogram. I have been shooting only in Jpg so far, but have shot RAW before on my old Rebel.

The images don't look terribly overexposed. THey just dont' have that "warm" tone I've been looking for. I've added saturation post and that helps out a lot, but like someone else said in here, I'd prefer to get it right the first time in the camera.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35979
Send a message via Yahoo to PhotosByMorganII

PhotosByMorganII is offline IP: 66.190.65.40

To get the metering more accurate I would suggest you calibrate the meter to the strobes and camera.

I also suggest you follow the others suggestions concerning setting the kelvin and using the same powered strobes for the main and fill.

Since you are reading the histogram, I figure you are watching the high side to ensure it is not clipped.

how do you meter your strobes to come up with the setting for your camera?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByMorganII Visit PhotosByMorganII's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByMorganII

Old 07-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Tony_Collins is offline IP: 66.82.9.52

I have been setting my 358 to shutter priority and shooting at shutter speed of 125th of a second so not to pick up any ambient light. I then pop my strobes until I get f/8 on the key. I then turn it off and turn on the fill and do the same thing to get my fill. Have been setting it to f/5.6 but will drop that one more stop next time. Then I turn them both on and pop them again and adjust each one together until I get EXACTLY f/8.0.