Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Spot on 10d
Old 07-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687
Comments: 0

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 70.48.28.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My 10D has a spot on the images. I've cleaned the lens, and tried cleaning the sensor with canned air. Is there anything else I can do?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Re: Spot on 10d
Old 07-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Did you try putting it in "clean sensor" mode when you cleaned the inside? I had this same issue and didn't realize at first I could do that and access the internals better. The problem went away after that.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 07-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Sean

Sounds like you need the sensor cleaned....

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 07-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Yes, I tried that. I'm not sure what that does other than lock the mirror up. I can't see the mark through the viewfinder. I hope Canon can help me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Well the one thing you never ever what to do is used canned air. It warns about this in the manaul. Propellant can sometimes be sprayed out with the air which will not do your sensor any good. You need to use a blower brush for light cleaning but for stubborn stuff you need to get the appropriate swabs, etc. Its no cheap for the right stuff, but you can mess things up if you get to agressive.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38049

Michael_G is offline IP: 69.225.232.97

Careful with that canned air. Sometimes spits liquid. I sent mine to Canon for a dodgy pixel and sensor clean and had it back within 10 days. Only had to do it one time. Since then I use a baby's bulb syringe from Walgreens, hold the camera with the sensor facing down and blow the general area. No dust in over a year.

Also, I point the mirror down when I change lenses and do it out of the wind or in a clean area if possoble. Can't be too careful with those sensors and they're mighty expensive to replace.

MG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael_G Visit Michael_G's homepage! Find More Posts by Michael_G

Old 07-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 65.184.82.47

Is it a greyish patch or a bright spec? The greyish patch will be something on the sensor but the bright spec will be hot pixels. Try shooting the sky with the lens aperture stopped all the way down, then with it opened up. A sensor smudge will disappear or become less evident when the aperture is wide open.

As the other guys said, NEVER use canned air directly on the sensor. I use it to generally clean out the camera interior before locking the mirror up with short, indirect blasts. Cleaning your sensor is not a lot different than cleaning a lens... it's just the stakes are much higher. Scratch the sensor and you ruin it, so, be cool, don't do it if you don't feel good about it, send it to Canon.

You can buy swabs to wipe the whole sensor down in a single pass; all they are is little plastic paddles with a soft lens tissue wrapped over them... but they cost like $2.50 apiece and you only use them once. I bought a few of them along with a pack of PEC-PAD non-abrasive wipes and a bottle of Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution. I just put a new tissue on the swabs each time I use them.

On a Nikon at least, wiping the sensor was scary at first but now it's pretty routine. I just never wipe it with anything but a virgin tissue and I keep the tissues in a really safe, dust free package. Mount the camera on a tripod about head high when you're sitting comfortably. You can use a flashlight in a dark room to inspect the sensor and dust will show up much better. Some stuff won't come off easily. For that I use a 'Spec Grabber' which is basically a soft rubber Q-tip with a point on it. You just touch the spot with the tip of the spec grabber and lift straight up (never wipe with it). It's amazing, it lifts most particles first try. You clean it after each use with the Eclipse solution. It doesn't hurt to lightly mist the area of the room where you'll be cleaning the sensor with water a few minutes before opening the camera to hold the dust down.

The best thing is to keep stuff off the sensor in the first place but you risk it every time you change lenses. I've got a system where I have a lens ready to attach in the hand I use to push the mounting release and the camera and the attached lens in the other hand. I release the lens, rotate it and when I'm ready, lift it and insert the new lens in one movement... the idea is to leave the opening exposed for as little time as possible, less than 2 seconds. I also blow off the outside of the mount before changing. Try to change with the camera turned off in a low dust area... like I say try anyway, sometimes you just can't.

I clean my sensor before every commercial shoot because taking those specs out of a hundred or so shots in post is a real pain.

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 07-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Here is a shot with the spot. It's about 1/3 the way over under the branch.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.126.128.39

NEVER use canned air! Period!

OK, here's a few options, with a * by the ones I use:

1. Sensor brush method
2. Spatula/pec pad /eclipse fluid method *
3. Saylor air pump * (Works great) use it in the batroom and run cold water for about 20 minutes in the shower to get all the dirt out of the air first.
4. Spec grabber thingie
5. Ionizing device made from a lighter. (going to try this, but with an ionizer I have for LP's)

Go to http://www.fredmiranda.com and do a search for sensor cleaning, lots of good info there.

A guy had a thread up once about cleaning his sensor. He put it in sensor clean mode but no matter how many times he did that, the darned thing never came clean!

E
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

[ QUOTE ]
The best thing is to keep stuff off the sensor in the first place but you risk it every time you change lenses. I've got a system where I have a lens ready to attach in the hand I use to push the mounting release and the camera and the attached lens in the other hand. I release the lens, rotate it and when I'm ready, lift it and insert the new lens in one movement... the idea is to leave the opening exposed for as little time as possible, less than 2 seconds. I also blow off the outside of the mount before changing. Try to change with the camera turned off in a low dust area... like I say try anyway, sometimes you just can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute, I have a patent on that method of changing lens! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
But I can change that lens in 1.25 seconds!

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith