Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Web Designers Help!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I need to finish my website...I need to add a Boudior page..and Portfolio page, however I would like the portfolio page be one that I can upload images too..instead of rebuilding the in entire page when I want to update it..I built these pages using Image Ready and Dreamweaver...I dont know jack about HTML Code and the like...
anyway if anyone has time I sure would appreciate your direction on finishing my website.
Don.

Fantasies Image Photography

Re: Web Designers Help!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Don,
I do all the work on my website with Netscape Composer. It comes free with Netscape. All your images should be in tables. All you need to do is add more cells to your table and put new pictures in the cells. It's very simple. Do you have the html page you want to edit on your site now ?

Mike

That Look Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Mike yes I do basically the same template as the first two pages...if that makes sense.

Don.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.195.99

Sounds like what you're wanting some kind of database... which I know absolutely nothing about. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'll search around tonight and see what I can find, if nobody posts something about them by then.

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-05-2005, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I opened up your portraits page in my editor. It looks like it would be harder to work with that design then a gallerie page. You have 4 pictures as 1 image on the left and the same on the right. You only have a table with 2 cells. What I would do is have each image in it's own cell so you can change them one at a time as needed. What you should do because you are sorta new to html is put all your images that you want in folder . Make sure they are all the same size to make things easyer. Use photo shop and make a web gallerie. Then open the html file up in Dreamweaver and make it look how ever you want. Just leave the image table alone.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Stop!
Old 07-05-2005, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Don,

Do not, DO NOT start rebuilding your site in dribs and drabs with well meaning help from people on this or any other forum that isn't 100% dedicated to web design.

I said something to you the other day in the midst of the whole popsicle hoo-haw. Don't remember the exact words but it boiled down to: 'your website is where people find you first'.

Think about it.

You know somebody who does web design. Or know somebody who knows somebody.
(Very important point here: NOT somebody who has software in their computer and likes to mess around with websites, somebody who builds websites professionally.)

It ain't voodoo. It's not really all that hard but it is an artform, just like oh, say, taking good pictures, so go find somebody who actually does it.

Call 'em. Trade photography for design work. Mow their freaking lawn if you have to but get someone who knows what they're doing, someone who can show you websites they've already built, and get them to build the initial site for you.

How do I know this? I've built sixteen small business websites, including mine. I have a partner now, you know why? Because he can actually DESIGN things, and not just patch together HTML and pictures and what have you into the same basic format over and over which is as far as my design skills will allow me to go.

I'll give you two examples:

Here's my wife's site, built by me: my wife the piano playing hoochie mama

Here's a local restaurant, one of my clients for a couple of years now, who just called me absolutely GUSHING after a real designer (my new partner) had gone through and re-done their site:

Cibo in Downtown Nashville

See the difference? Nothing wrong, per se, with the site I did but the one Dann built COMPLETELY KICKS ITS A$$!

I'm a photographer. When my partner needs pictures of his kid, he doesn't take them himself he calls me. When I need an ultra cool flash intro for a new design client I call him...trust me on this one.

Oh, this is just my opinion but you really shouldn't open the site with a price list. Put that somwhere that people have to click on it and your potential clients won't feel like your shoving a package down their throat before they've even seen your galleries.

Best of luck,

Shannon

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 07-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 68.42.54.81

It's drop dead simple. I've been doing Websites since 1998. Websites use a display language called HTML or some variation thereof. You can "handcode" it but I use Frontpage, which is a Microsoft product. You can upload images easily if you use a national hosting service like Yahoo!, although smaller services exist. If you need any help, I can guide you through the process, although I do not claim to be an expert!

Doc
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 07-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

And one thing i must say..Stay away from any flash on your site..it makes a website very slow loading..And that is a good way to make people look elsewhere for a photographer. Your site should sell your product not the skills of some webdesigner. It should be able to work on any pc and with any slow or fast internet connection.

Mike

Old 07-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thats why I kept mine to the basics Mike......
I'll have to study more on using tables...I have no clue how to use them....I build my site in image ready...then I edit and upload with dreamweaver..long process.
Don.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

You have several options. One way, assuming you have a decent host that has php and mysql is to use something like Gallery. This is fairly easy to install and allows you to add photos at any time and it automatically creates the thumbnails, etc. You can see more about it at:

http://tinyurl.com/5zjn

It is open source and free. I use it for some of my work and it is quite nice. There is also one called Coppermine that is free also. I have put up a very small example of Gallery here:

http://marketforce.com/gallery/

I've turned on several of the features in the different albums. You have total control over the look and feel and which features are on or off. With a little attention to detail you can integrate it into any site.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith