Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My new camera + a couple questions
Old 07-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41098
Comments: 0

2112 is offline IP: 66.74.98.120

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, my new camera finally arrived today [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I only paid $1,200 for this package and got: 350D body, Sigma 18-50 and 70-300 tele lens, Sigma macro lens, 1GB CF card, high speed card reader, 55 inch tripod, hard case and carrying case, lens and image sensor cleaning kit and a few other things. Memory card is in place and battery is fully charged, now all I need is a model and some daylight [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A couple questions though if I may. What are the advantages to shooting in RAW mode vs JPEG? I know that RAW is not compressed and JPEG is but is that it? The vast majority of my work will be online so will shooting in RAW make a noticeable difference and look better than if I shoot in JPEG?

Also, is it a big sin to keep my camera in the auto settings? Playing with it today, it seemed to be focusing and finding the right AP and shutter settings just fine by itself. If its doing its thing and selecting everything the way I want it to, is there any reason to start using manual mode? Thnaks.

View Public Profile Send a private message to 2112 Visit 2112's homepage! Find More Posts by 2112

Re: My new camera + a couple questions
Old 07-02-2005, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 69.231.196.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For what you are doing right now, j-peg is just fine. Focus on learning to use your camera and learning photography right now.

And, leaving your camera in full auto mode is no better than just using an instamatic camera in my opinion. You will never learn what the different aperature and shutter settings do and what effect the same photo taken with one setup will give you versus another. Do a simple test. Take the camera, set it up on a tripod, put it in full manual mode, and take a series of pictures of the same object using the full range of shutter speeds and aperature settings and see what happens. Then, please...please...if you want to be serious about photography (I could swear I've told you this before) go to the library and look for some books on photography, even if the books are written with film photography in mind...the basic principles are the same.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 07-02-2005, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41098

2112 is offline IP: 66.74.98.120

Thanks. I already have several photography books but havent read them much since I was fed up with my old camera. I guess I dont really need a model to practice with, maybe I could use this lovely water fountian in the courtyard of my condos. I will also be heading to the home/studio of one of the members here who has agreed to share his knowledge with me and give me some tips.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 2112 Visit 2112's homepage! Find More Posts by 2112

Old 07-02-2005, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 4.136.207.75

Looks like you got a good deal on quite a bit of camera equipment. But you would be better to learn the manual or part manual with auto settings as soon as you can to get better results. You could advance a lot quicker if you were to attend a photo seminar with good instructions also. But practice shooting on your own until then. Good luck.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 07-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

I agree with the earlier posters regarding manual mode. Learning to control the outcome of your work has a lot to do with learning to control the input.

As for RAW v. Jpeg, for now you should shoot jpegs and concentrate on really learning to shoot, and really learning to work in photoshop. No, I don't mean turning your pictures into nifty little paintings, I mean setting black and white points, sharpening, using color to your advantage, masks, selective blurring, etc. etc.

There's a lot to be learned and hopefully the better you get at post production, the less people are able to see what you've done, if that makes any sense.

Seriously think about it. Ansel Adams, in truth, went to extraordinary lengths to generate prints with his particular vision stamped on them but when you look at those great shots of Yosemite are you thinking 'man this guy really knows how to gimmick stuff in the darkroom" or are you just blown away by the power and individuality of his work?

But RAW, IMO is the only way to go. I was told by several well established shooters some time back that 'RAW is for people who can't get it right the first time'.

This is when I was asking for advice as I was just staring up, business wise. Come to find out thes guys shoot RAW on the job, they were giving me advice they knew I could handle at that time.

RAW is for working professional photographers who want to have the absolute best capture and the most data to work with.

Why would you want to start with anything esle?

It's a great adventure you're starting on, I wish you the best of luck,

Shannon
my site
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Auto mode is fine if you don't want to learn anything. Otherwise get it in Manual and learn what you get from different shutter speeds and aperture combinations. JPG is fine what you want to do know, but when you want great prints, go with RAW.

Good luck!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 07-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

When I get young again....I want to shoot like Mike!
yep...I heard it from Christian...Super Glue the mode switch on Manual!

Don.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

You're so kind sir!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 07-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.30.78.25

[ QUOTE ]
RAW is for working professional photographers who want to have the absolute best capture and the most data to work with.

Why would you want to start with anything esle?

[/ QUOTE ]

what if you miss the shot while waiting for your camera to write to the card?

then you have NO capture and NO data to work with.

There are plenty of "working professional photographers" using jpeg.

I almost can't remember the last time I shot in RAW.
But I do remember the last time I missed a shot even tho I was shooting jpeg.

Situations for jpeg if you dont have the fastest card in the world or latest greatest camera or even if you do.

Sports as in Football you get the runner breaking thru on 4 frames but miss the tackle, because the buffer tackled you, racing cars coming around corners with one wheel off the ground, yeah you can get one within the buffer but what about the 2nd or third car, or when the model is excellent and throwing 6 to 7 great looks at you then she throws the best of the bunch last and you are writing to buffer or worst you are changing cards.

What I would use RAW for is when I am not concerned about hitting the buffer, I need all the info I can get, catalog, product work, the subject is not moving or changing, and I got gigs of storage space.

photography is compromise if nothing else. Adapt your options for the situation, don't limit yourself to a "standard" shooting setup for there is not one that works for all situations.

Trick is to know which one to use when.

hope this helps

Stu

View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

jeez, Stu!
Old 07-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Stu,

man, the kid just got his first camera and you've got him missing the tackle in the super bowl because the buffer's full! (Laughing)

Stu's right. there are lots of times to shoot jpeg. I shoot horse shows and real estate almost exlusively in jpeg, for workflow reasons.

The advice I was giving was meant in the broadest sense, to a new guy looking to understand the differences and then, hopefully, work at it long enough and hard enough to make up his own mind when and where to use each format.

Mike's right about prints, IMO, starting with RAW files just gives me better finished product.

Now as for a model who can throw seven great poses in 2 point whatever seconds and outrun my buffer or card, well, I have yet to meet this particular lady. (Laughing again).

Best to all,

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine