Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
monitor specs
Old 07-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some of you know I've been having trouble with my Lacie monitor(s) including the new one they sent me, on my PC. It seems oversaturated and warm, and my Monaco OPTIX calibrator doesn't seem to help. I've tried it on both my PCs and it looks bad, and I've tried my Dell LCD on both PCs and it looks great.

Now I heard somewhere that Lacie was made for MACs, but the Lacie people say that's not true and think I should buy THEIR calibrator (almost as much as a new monitor). I'm at the point where I'm going to try and get them to take it back, so I spent a few minutes looking at monitors on the Dell site. I know we're supposed to be using CRTs for Photoshop work, but I could use some desk space back, and the LCD prices are coming down, and this one looks pretty good from Dell

The question is, this Dell claims a contrast ration of 800:1. I thought that was pretty good, until I compared it to the Apple Cinema Display which seems to be the gold standard these days, and the Apple only has 400:1. I assumed a higher ratio would be better, am I wrong? Do I want a lower contrast ratio? Anyone have any other suggestions? This would become my primary PS monitor.

Thanks
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: monitor specs
Old 07-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Andy,
From what I'm reading it seems that higher contrast ratios are better. The monitor your refering to gets pretty good ratings for everything except critical graphics work, ie, photo editing. You might want to go hereDell Review for a good review. Here's a small piece of it. "DisplayMate setup showed that the Dell factory preset lacked a bit of contrast. Since the monitor doesn't have a contrast control in digital mode, in tests the lighter hues tended to get washed out at the high end. It's not a deal breaker for general office use, but artists requiring more precise color"
Keep posting, I really enjoy your work.
Mark Harper
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 07-01-2005, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41749
Send a message via Yahoo to clickin

clickin is offline IP: 67.50.116.71

I have a Lacie Electron 19" Blue IV. Iam running it on a Dell PC. It is the best monitor I have had. I calibrate it with my Spyder from colorvision. The colors look great. The only thing I can think of for you is to make sure photoshop gamma isn't running and zero out all the color controls on the video card. Then try to calibrate it.

good luck

Clark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to clickin Find More Posts by clickin

Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Andy

My opinion is that LCD's have come a LONG way from the day when the "conventional wisdom" said that you could only edit photos on CRT's.

Here are a couple of things to think about. LCDs may have a narrower area of view - in other words you have to be looking straight at the thing to see it properly. And the ambient light in the room may have more effect on an LCD. However, if you properly position the panel in a room that is properly lit - you should have no problems.

These days I feel that the advantages of LCDs (weight, heat, power consumption, etc) outweight any negatives - if any negatives really exist.

I'm using an NEC Multisync 2000 series panel. It's 20.1 inches and gives me plenty of work space. I'd like two - but I just don't have the space. You should check out reviews on NEC, Mitsubishi, Samsung and Viewsonic. The new contender is LG - a Korean company that seems to be making most of the US consumer electronics these days! And check out the specs for your video card - it's always good to know what their output is to optimize your input.

Bob

Some photos need no optimization:

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 07-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36935

BhamPhoto is offline IP: 209.192.43.206

If you like to change positions alot when you are working I would stick to a CRT.

I would not go with Dell either. I don't know what it is but some of the new Dell Monitors that we have at our office have gone out. We don't use them for photo editing so it is not a big deal. The Dell PC have been awesome. I know people here have complained about them but I think you can find problems with all electronics.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BhamPhoto Find More Posts by BhamPhoto

Old 07-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Well since its important to photographers to be able to compare a shots whitest white and blackest black, then a higher contrast ratio is good. According a PC Magazine test, a lot of the monitors did not accurately state the true contrast ratio. Dell was one of the few that was quite accurate in their tests. It also has to do with size. The larger the screen the higher contrast ratio that might be needed. So be sure in comparing Dell to Apple that we are talking 19" to 19" or whatever size. The Dell Unit certainly looks nice however. What I did when I bought my LCD was to go to Fry's and buy one and then use it for a few days, and then take it back if it wasn't what I expected. I've done this with several products and never had a problem. I ended up with a Philips 170B and it has been fantastic and I find the color fidelity very good as is the contrast range. I run two calibrations on mine on a KBD switch, so I can switch between two computers and look at the same shot with two different calibrations which gives me a good feel for how the image will look across gamut of browsers and systems.
Good luck in your purchase.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.210.24

OK, we have the same monitor on the same system (maybe) so there is hope for me. What video card are you using? I have the Radeon X300 that came with the system. Could you please explain to me how to turn off the PS gamma, and how to zero out the color controls on the card?

Thanks,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

OK Andy,

First of all let's make sure you don't have the PS Gamma turned on. First step is to check your start up menu. I am assuming you are using windows XP. Click START then ALL PROGRAPMS then START UP. Is Photoshop Gamma in there? If it is, right click on it and delete it. If it is not in START UP it is probably not turned on, I have the NVIDIA Gforce2 MX video card. So we have a different card. Although some of the same things aply to these cards. Right click on your desktop and click on properites. Then click settings and then click advanced. First thing your going to want to do is to delete everything from your colormanagement profiles. Then click on your Radeon X300 tab. There should be a tab or something that says color correction. Click on that and make sure your digital vibrance is OFF. Make sure all the settings are zeroed out. Now when all that is done you should be able to press OK and get out all the windows. Now calibrate your monitor using the spyder.

I HOPE THIS IS UNDERSTANDABLE, AND I HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to clickin Find More Posts by clickin

Old 01-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 65.0.140.91

Clickin -

I have the NVIDIA Gforce2 MX video card in my computer also and I was interested in your procedure for turning off color mamagement via the card so I can properly calibrate my monitor. Could you run through the steps for the NVIDIA Gforce2 MX video card?

Thanks,
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 01-16-2006, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Mike, Did you read my HOW TO for Andy?

IF not that would be the first steps

clark