Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Last Nite I was Reminded why...
Old 02-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360
Comments: 0

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.119

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't like shooting wedding!

Two of my friends said their "I do's" to each other last nite and everyone was happy!

Then came the relatives with the point and shoots and even one guy with a minolta that had to have been made in the 50's.

After the ceremony, everyone was instructed to leave the church so we could finish shooting the wedding party images. But the people with the point and shoots lurked in the corners, waiting until I got everyone positioned and was just about to release the shutter. Then a barage of overpowering point and shoot advantix flash filled my eye piece. I politely asked them to wait until I had taken my images before the would. It pissed them off and most of the left, which was with me.

At the reception I was positioned to get the bride and groom walking into the ballroom. Everything was lookin' good! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

then it happened, as soon as the bride made the corner a relative in a brown dress steps right in front of me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] So now I have an overexposed image of woman in a brown dress instead of the bride.

Now my wedding experience is rather limited, but in the few that I have done I honestly believe dealing with the family is harder than the bride and groom themselves.

this is why the next time I post something saying I am thinking about wedding ideas. Someone please remind me about this experience. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Remember, you\'re the hired help...
Old 02-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.34.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Relatives and guests can indeed be a problem at times. But remember, they were invited to be there by the bride and groom to participate in the celebration. You, on the other hand, are hired help. Diplomacy and tact are the keywords to keep in mind. A little pre-planning and anticipation of potential problems goes a long ways too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Last Nite I was Reminded why...
Old 02-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

I read somewhere about a wedding pro who stipulated in his contract that there couldn't be any other cameras at the wedding. (Or maybe it was just they couldn't be used in the room where he was.) I read it before I was much of a photographer (like I am now, yeah right) and I thought it was very arrogant of him.

Now that I at least know a little about the subject, I am on his side. If you're using film and can't preview the images, you might not even realize that some dipstick with a Polaroid had flashed right when you did and ruined your exposure. I spent some time at my brother-in-law's wedding talking to the photographer (we were early and so was he) and he had lots of horror stories like that.

I saw it happen several times - like you said, he'd get the pose set up (it was at a lovely outdoor resort sort of thing - her parents are very rich, too bad we don't get along better) and five goombahs with P&S would appear from nowhere. And aside from the flash problem, people instinctively look at somebody who's pointing a camera at them. When there's more than one photographer, they don't keep their heads still and they don't point their eyes in the right direction. Again, if you couldn't see the image, you might think you'd got the shot, only to find later that no two people's eyes are pointing in the same direction. That looks bad.

Of course, if these were friends, you probably wouldn't be able to ask for any sort of limits on the guests- one more reason not to work for friends. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I know, I know... I do it too.

St. Marc
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

I feel your pain
Old 02-15-2003, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 67.85.119.226

Shot my friends wedding out in the middle of nowhere PA (was only about an 8 hour drive). There photographed showed up with a rebel and a 75-300 zoom lens using the on camera flash. He shot in sandals and shorts with t-shirt.

Me being the fancy city foke with the suit Nikon F-100 with a vertical grip sb-28 and *drumroll* a camera bag and a *cymbal crash* reflector was being described as the ansel adams of wedding photography. All out hell, relatives, friends reprints organizing shots etc etc. By the way did I mention during both ceremony and reception the photographer they paid just kept following me around trying to do the same shot?

NEVER BRING ANYTHING MORE THEN A POINT AND SHOOT TO A FRIENDS WEDDING!

I feel your pain, feel free to take some GPCB Tylenol, they are on my living room table mixed in with the candy for the guests

GPCB
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Contractual obligations....
Old 02-15-2003, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.208.63

I've been dialoguing with a young lady who wants to hire me for her wedding and so I blew the dust off of my wedding contract and it reads under item #3, and I quote, "It is understood that no other photographer will be allowed to photograph or take pictures at the wedding while the Photographer (me!) is working, and that any breach of this agreement shall constitute a reason for non-completion of the job with NO LIABILITY to the Photographer and shall result in the loss of any deposit(s) made by Contracting Party."

The definition of diplomacy is being able to tell someone to go to hell and have them looking forward to the trip. It is often required to use such tactics in dealing with those who don't want to play by the rules. Tact and diplomacy do go a long way.

Now, understanding that many people do bring along their pathetic point and shoots and flash away without clue number one as to what it's doing to the "real" wedding photos taken by the hired help, I may make a slight change in my working to read as follows: Michael Larsen (me) shall be the exclusive photographer retained by the client for the purpose of photographing the wedding. Family and friends of the client shall be permitted to photograph the wedding as long as they shall not interfere with the photographer's duties and do not photograph poses arranged by the photographer until he is finished with each pose.

This wording gives the family and friends leeway to shoot, with the understanding that they get to shoot AFTER I am finished with the formals. If they do not comply, I ask them to leave or talk to the bride and groom and tell them that they are spending an awful lot of money just to have their pictures compromised and/or ruined by some idiot who won't comply with one simple rule.

I definitely feel your pain, Clint.

Good day!

Mike [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: I feel your pain
Old 02-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.169

well I did have a rebel 2000, loaded with tri-x, but attached was a 50mm USM and one of the trust 550ex teathered by a the infamous off camera shoe cord #2.

but at least I did wear a tie! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: Contractual obligations....
Old 02-15-2003, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.169

ya know in my stack of prefab contracts, I have one that says just that. but I didn't have her do a contract because:

1. Very Little money changing hands. Images are gonna be the wedding gift

2. Was supposed to be a small wedding. In which it was, but I think that almost every relative from the Texas, Arkansas, Louisanna, and Oklahoma showed up at the reception dinner.

Think I need to stop doing these thing for friends. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2003, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.210.21

WHAT? No shorts, floppies, and "wife beater" shirt? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: Contractual obligations....
Old 02-16-2003, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.210.21

I didn't think there was any such thing as a small wedding in the south. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Chalk it up to lessons learned and a character-building experience. If it doesn't kill you, it makes you a stronger and better person. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike

Old 02-16-2003, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.8.193

one of my friends did have one of those wife beater shirts on. but he had to take off the blazer to see it thru his white shirt. He was hot most of the nite because we ripped him every time he took off his jacket