Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Considering a new camera
Old 06-07-2005, 10:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay thinking about making that leap....
However Im depending on the forum to give me the best advice
Im not very tech savy on cameras...Im currently shooting with a Fuji S20 Pro which has an intergal lens...
Whats the best camera for its value? Canon? Nikon? D series Canons or the Rebels?
HELP!
Don.

Re: Considering a new camera
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Since you don't have a certain brand of lenses to keep using , you are open to anything now
I have been using the nikon d100(6meg lowest speed setting 200) with a nikon 80-200 2.8 lens plus a few others
( my 80-200 is 5 years old and the manual focus broke RIGHT AFTER the warranty was up by about 3 weeks , got it fixed and it lasted about 1 year )

MY options include the fuji S3(? 6+6meg) to use the lenses I already have
OR switching to the canon 20d (8meg) - that will cost me a lot in changing over

of course , I here Canons new stuff comes out in August (12meg) maybe , you could wait and see if any prices drop shortly after that

View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

This looks interesting. . .
Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.186.203.100

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0506/05...ung_pro815.asp
and the price will be in the $1200 range. This includes the lens which is built in.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

by price
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.148

Nikon D2X 12meg $5000 body only
Fuji S3 6+6meg $2500 body only
Canon 20D 8meg $1800 body + ? 18-70mm ? lens I think
Canon EOS D1s markII 17meg $8000 body only ( FULL FRAME )
Nikon D70 6meg $ 900 body only (lowest sensitivity is 200 and NO sync terminal)

don't know about the medium format digital stuff
I am guessing 22meg add on back for about $20,000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Re: by price
Old 06-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

[ QUOTE ]
don't know about the medium format digital stuff
I am guessing 22meg add on back for about $20,000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

6MP backs for medium format are running ~$6K. 16-17MP backs are running ~$16K. 22MP backs are running $18-30K. Sometime this summer Mamiya is introducing their ZD, a 22MP medium format body that takes their AF lenses. Price is supposed to be around $12-15K. They're also going to release (waiting patiently) a 22MP back for the 645AF/RZ67II for around $10-12K.

You're starting to see used 6MP and 12MP backs on the market for about 60-75 cents on the dollar.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Don,

What's far more important, at least to me, is how well the camera handles. Are the controls laid out in a way that's logical for me? Are the functions/features I use most easy to get to and set? Does the camera fit my hand well? Does it feel like a natural extension of my hand, eye, and mind? Does something about the way a particular camera handles or operates annoy me? Can I see the menus in broad daylight? In dim light? Is it fast enough for the type of photography I'm doing? Do they offer the lenses that I need?

Don't get too caught up in the size of the sensor. Whatever you buy today is going to be technically obsolete in 18 months anyway. Get something that fits you like a glove, gets out of your way, and allows you to make photographs without thinking too hard. Take your candidate cameras for a test drive and see if one "speaks to you". Many camera stores that cater to professional photographers rent equipment. I don't know if you have such a store in your area, but if you do then inquire about renting one or more of them for the day and putting them through a workout.

Best value for the money isn't much of a bargain if you never pick up the beast because it annoys you. The corollary to that is this: the camera you fall in love with will cost 2 or 3 times as much as you wanted to spend, and you will seriously consider eating nothing but Raman Noodles for 6 months in order to buy it.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

FWIW
Old 06-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

Since you don't have any lenses yet, you're pretty free. I don't think you can go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.

I use the Canon 10D. It is rugged but heavy. I dropped it once from chest level in a parking lot and all I got were a few little nicks. Not a hiccup from the camera. I chose the 10D because I was already in the Canon line with lenses and it was the same body style as my Elan 7. The 20D is a compelling upgrade from the 10D – I just can’t afford it yet.

The equivalent Nikons I have tried out from friends are good cameras too. They seem to be a lot lighter – so I wonder if they are as rugged but I don’t know.

Rolando likes Olympus – Some reasons I saw him mention once were the built-in sensor cleaning and the nearly square sensor format. I’m sure he has more reasons too – those were just two that stuck out in my mind.

You may already know about this place, but check out www.keh.com when you get ready to purchase. They have a lot of great used & new equipment. I’ve been very happy with all the stuff I’ve bought there.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Canon 10D - Tamron SP AF28-75 f/2.8 XR DI LD (EIEIO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) at 63mm - ISO-100 - f/5.6 1/250

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 06-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41657

ImagesRW is offline IP: 24.74.74.33

Don,

Canon or Nikon.

I started out with the D Rebel and now use the 20D..... Quality at high ISO was a big factor... even made a mistake the other week and did not reset the ISO from 1600 back to 400 after doing some available light table shots and did all the family portraits at 1600.... figgured I was toast but they were in RAW and a noise reduction in conversion to jpg took care of it. You can not even tell where I switched back to 400 and kept shooting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

ONE BIG THING... be sure the camera has a sync plug.... The Rebel D does not (not sure about the new 350 D) this will cause you to do all kinds of creative thinking on how to fire your strobes, radios, etc.

PS love what you and DeeAnn are doing keep it up.

Rick
Oh here is a 20D image....

View Public Profile Send a private message to ImagesRW Visit ImagesRW's homepage! Find More Posts by ImagesRW

Old 06-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 209.16.210.96

I have been using Canon EOS cameras since 1993. I bought a 10D about 2 years ago and like it very much. Ninety nine percent of the time, I use a 28 - 80mm zoom lens with it. There are two things that I don't like. 28mm is not a very wide angle for this camera and it is 35mm format which is 8 X 12. If I print 8 X 10 or 8-1/2 X 11, I have to crop a considerable portion of the image. This means that I have to frame the shot for the crop. If I don't, I have to cut out some portion of the shot or print in a different format. At this point, I do most of my printing as borderless 8-1/2 X 11. It's convenient, it uses all of the paper and it fits in a notebook sized sleeve. It also happens to be cheap.

I recently spoke with two photographers who were not using 35mm format. Grant Lovett, of Nashville, TN and Rolando Gomez both use the Olympus E-1. The E-1 is a 4 X 3 format and very little of the image is lost when you crop. I was impressed by this camera, so I got one. I have been very pleased with it, so far. The camera body will run $1050 to $1200 and lenses $400 and up. The 35mm equivalence factor is 2.0, so the 14 - 54mm lens is equivalent to a 28 - 108mm lens on a full frame. I find the 54mm to be a bit too short for portrait work, so I am planning to add the 1.4 teleconverter and the 50mm f2 lens, as soon as I can afford to. The longer Olympus lenses are quite expensive, so I don't think that i will be adding any of them in the near future.

You can find more information on the e-1 here: http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/default.asp

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles

Old 06-08-2005, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.180

Ok, depending on what your looking at, here you go. And also first and foremost, for all I suggest you pick up the July shutterbug nice reviews on the shootout they had with the Canon 20d, Nikon D70, Minolta Digital Maxxum, and the Olympus E1.

I assume your looking at SLR's

Prosumer level

Canon Digital Rebel Xt
Nikon D70
Minolta Digital Maxxum (other then the Anti Shake, don't bother imho)
Nikon D70s (slight upgrade on the D70, bigger LCD screen slight firmware upgrade)
Olympus E1 (i like the digital design for the lenses, but thats covered by tamron's DI series, and still the body needs slight improvements and at only 6mp I wonder which market they are going after, also olympus everything required)

Pro Level

Canon 20d yes, i know most consider this camera a prosumer, especially the price (correction for other post, body around 1350 now with a 100 rebate) but with 8mp and all the fine canon glass, your looking at a solid wedding, sports, or portrait camera. It can do it all for the price, and when you factor in L series lenses and a 580, this is the best buy for the money.

Fuji S3 ...so, 6mp + 6mp makes a 12mp camera? The body feels great and being an S2 shooter I am glad to see the 3v battery issue be resolved along with the desire for a vertical grip. Sharper LCD and with the dual sensor this camera is going to eliminate some of the noise seen in the blacks of S2 users have been fighting and is truly a refined and exceptionally sharp 6mp camera. .... quality wise lets call it roughly an 8mp...but a very high priced 8mp, good for Nikon shooters who want more then a d70 but not quite a D2x.

Kodak DCS PRo's ... well they are discontinued, but 14mp, full frame sensor and perfect studio camera for under ISO 400, if you can find them they are a workhorse...but for 5,000 ... there are better alternatives.

Canon 1d Mark. BUFFER. Wanna shoot 40 raw files in a row? It can do it. Solid 8mp camera with Mark II body, excellent for sports photography but can double as a decent portrait camera. Great for fashion

Canon 1ds Mark II ..... someone give me $8,000 and I will give you the world. Full frame sensor, 16.7 mp, the canon flagship SLR. Hands down best portrait camera on the market. Heavy as all hell, but worth its weight in gold.

Nikon D2x: the more I look into this camera the more I think about not going into Canon. The more I look at this camera, the more broke I realize I am. At 12mp lets not jump to conclusions like I did. Why did Nikon fall short of the bar being set by canon? All they did was slightly go ahead of the Canon 1ds which was at 11.7. The sensor is not full frame and dpreview had a nice review on defending the D2x and its portrait abilities. It's not as good as the 1ds Mark II imho, but I am thinking more rather then less of this camera now. Excellent body, great grip, very sweet LCD. Best high end body for Nikon mount shooters.

AND NOW... I must go, somebody just left an Epson R4800 infront of me to play with...... I must now set up the lights so I can take pictures of me stradling this printer to send to Chung Lee to make him jealous

....shiney K3 printer, I must have ADD, i was talking SLR's now all I can think of is 3 black cartridge pritning technology

BEST OF LUCK

JasonNJ
GPCB
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ