Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Advice sought on waterproof housing for Canon dslr.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.188.88.127

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anyone use those things? I have a crazy swimsuit story coming up where art director may want shots way in the water, and on moving boats and so forth, maybe under a pool, etc. LOTS of water, lol. recommendations ?

Thanks in advance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Advice sought on waterproof housing for Canon dslr.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 24.1.179.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Be prepared to spend big $$.
http://www.ikelite.com/
http://www.adorama.com/EWDCA1D.html
http://www.seaandsea.com/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 06-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Put it in a Ziploc bag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

WARNING: While this might actually work I am NOT really suggesting that you do it and if you do you do so at your peril!

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Tried this once. . .
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.186.203.100

and failed miserably. Before the days of digital I rented a Nikonos and went swimming. The Camera worked beautifully but the dumb photographer didn't know howdy about using it in and out of the water. Shoulda practiced some before hand.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

[ QUOTE ]
Put it in a Ziploc bag. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

WARNING: While this might actually work I am NOT really suggesting that you do it and if you do you do so at your peril!

M

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there is a company that makes zip-lock style baggies for cameras. http://www.ewa-marine.com/english/index.htm
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Thanks everyone...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

This shoot coming up IS worth it so I will spend the money. I think I'll just go into B&H and see what my options are. I know the REALLY good one is like $6k which is great if I worked for the Cousteau Society, but for me, $500 is more realistic.

Again, any underwater peeps who know the drill..... love to hear from ya!

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

You're in Miami, have you tried renting one? Try the dive shops. Brand new, the Ikelites run about $1200. As another poster stated, there are zip-lock style bags that will protect an SLR from sand, surf, and dunking to about 10 feet. They're kind of a pain to use because you have to access the menus and buttons through the plastic.

Alternative #2 might be to rent a Nikonos, shoot film, and have it scanned (horrors!!!!). The only problem is that the Nikonos is a rangefinder and the longest lens is an 80mm that you use with a separate viewfinder. Basically, you have to allow a good bit of real estate on all sides of the image unless you're willing to really spend some time with the camera.

Finally, you may want to consider a point-and-shoot digital camera and housing. I have a Canon Powershot A95 (5MP) and the accompanying Canon-made underwater housing. The camera runs about $260 and the housing runs about $170. That fits your price range. The lens is actually very sharp, even wide open, and runs out to an equivalent 114mm. There's a little bit of shutter lag, as with all point-and-shoots, but overall it's fairly responsive. Keep the ASA below 100 and the image quality is really pretty good. Olympus and Nikon also make housings for their point-and-shoots.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thanks, but I def need the housing because this is going to print as full page bleeds and I need to shoot this with my Canon. The tip about the control buttons and dials being hard to access with the bag types is the kind of tip I was looking for, thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm in NY for awhile now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43214

RichardBingham is offline IP: 216.30.137.69

The ewa-marine soft housings work, and is probably the cheapest
option for your dslr, however there are a few things to keep in mind.

Limited lens size. You're not going to get your long lenses in it.
Something around 100mm, maybe a tad more depending on the design.
(ewa-marine site has full specs on the sizes).

You can still use the camera controlls, but you have to stop and
look at what you're doing.

Be sure to either use the mostiure thingy's that come with it, or, put
a few paper towels in with it. These suck up any condensation.

If you are using it out of the water, water droplets on the portal
can cause problems with auto focus, or at a minimum, soft spots.

Always rinse it off as soon as possible once done, especially when
used in saltwater.

This is all that comes to mind off the top of my head, if you have
anymore questions, let me know.

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RichardBingham Find More Posts by RichardBingham

Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.21.51

If there is a reasonable chance of the camera getting wet I would recommend ikelite housings. www.ikelite.com I've used one on my F2 for 20 Years. Be advised there is a limit to the lenses you can use, restricted by diameter and length. Here is the port table for cannon. http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html If your looking to use a 200 f2.8, etc, your talking about a custom housing.

I would not use the bag type housings if there is a resonable chance of the camera getting wet.

If the return is sufficient, you might consider the camera expendable and take your chances. I've used a bare camera for most above water shots except 1)windsurfing shots while I'm on the windsurfer. 2) Wet/dry caving shots where I dragged my equipment in through the water.

I have a waterproof Pelican case I can transport and protect my camera in till just before I shoot. Use it mostly for transporting in a small boat.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli