Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Canon 20D and metering modes
Old 05-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35789
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeV

MikeV is offline IP: 67.40.126.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Question for mainly the landscape photographers out there...

I'm leaving for Alaska in a couple weeks and will (needless to say) be shooting a lot of landscape shots.

When shooting landscape what metering mode do you use, center weighted or partial? I know I should bracket if in doubt but which do you generally use to start out with for high contrast shots like sky over land or land over water?

Not much to worry about that way here.. it was strobes and on manual.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MikeV Visit MikeV's homepage! Find More Posts by MikeV

Re: Canon 20D and metering modes
Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Test your camera out before you need to use it for a big event,..or beofre any professional use..

As a matter of fact, I owned the 20D for a week prior to using it for anything that I was getting paid to shoot...and used my 10D bodies instead..

To answer you... metering for land scapes when using the in camera meter, I'd suggest that it depends on what part of the images you are trying to get the correct exposure of.. Generally speaking for landscapes, use the full area of metering.. I personally go by what my hand held meter says if let's say the clouds aren't a factor.. as if they are covering me up, but not a landscape from far away.. where that is lighted by the sun.. another thing,... since you are shooting digital,... look at the histagram(sp?) be sure you aren't blasting out too much of the shot... and just learn how to read that thing prior to your big trip..

Also,... Calumet is selling the Lexar 80x 2Gig CF card for 199.99 and that enables you to shoot 220 shots RAW at 100 iso with the 20D.......so, when in doubt, bracket.. it's a rule of thumb in the photography world.... especially since you are shooting landscapes...not live action sports..

JP

Old 05-11-2005, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

I don't know about the 20D , but what a great photo and what is going on with that hat..

you gotta tell me, what is with that hat?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Actually on the Canon, Evaluative Metering works quite well except for a few scenes. If the tonal range is very large, then consider shooting two shots (from a tripod) with one where you use partial metering on the highlight part of the photo and one where you use partial metering on the shadows part of the photo and them you can combine them later with PS CS2 and the new HDR.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42141
Send a message via Yahoo to itshowmuch

itshowmuch is offline IP: 68.91.79.106

this has been one of my banes of shooting that has plauged many a photographer.

not that it's right, but my technique (not mine, it was given to me so i pass it along) for solving this problem and is close to the solution frederick said but much simpler. shoot EVERYTHING is RAW. you will find that most of the time your shoots will be on the underexposed side. dont panic. RAW holds all the details in the shadows that seems lost forver in the darkness. when you do the RAW conversion convert the underexposed shoot and then convert the same RAW file but add +EV to it. usually go a full stop at least to what might look like acceptable exposure. then take both the "light" and "dark" images and then digitally blend them.

problem i have had with shooting 2 or 3 seperate images is getting everything lined up just so. i loose sharpness and i can never get it just right. maybe my PS techiques just suck. but i deal with that. also, shooting one frame and then over/under expposing the RAW file in the conversion would help you overcome any problem you might have with the subject moving in the frame in between shoots(wind blowing leaves, model sneezing, clouds moving overhead, whatever) any other of millions of things which can change in a fraction of a second.

if you are going to bracket a shot do it in RAW as JohnPaul suggested and then dont use the seperate images to blend. pick one and then convert that same file +/- EV. problem is a lot of images dont have a high contrast range tonal, sometimes only a couple stops of EV(if you're lucky). you can easily give any shot another 2 stops by blending.

good luck.

i like the high key shoot. great work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to itshowmuch Find More Posts by itshowmuch

Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

I'm going to go with a tripod when I can but the chances will be few and far between. Most of the time will be on boats and one trip in a helicopter.

I'm just going to bracket and go for the gusto.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MikeV Visit MikeV's homepage! Find More Posts by MikeV

Old 05-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Going with RAW and small jpg and burning everything to CD as soon as I get back to the ship each day. The RAW will give me the best ones to work from when I get home and I can use the small jpg to look at on the laptop while I'm gone and send out a few email attachments.

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

She likes her hat. She found it at a vintage clothing store and fell in love with it. What can I say? She wants to wear the hat in some shots, she can wear the hat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Without the hat.... or anything else for that matter.