Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My first studio session...
Old 02-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Art
Film Dinosaur

Member GG#: 35716
Comments: 0

Art is offline IP: 67.39.182.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I just did my first solo studio session. Now, I know this may seem crazy, but I really needed to try out my gear and I couldn't wait any longer for 'pro' advice.

A colleague of mine sold me his Speedotron Brownline equipment and a whole host of accessories. I rented a space for $100 for the day! My friend Michelle, who, in my opinion, would make an excellent glamour model - she is tall, gorgeous, slim, knows beaucoup yoga moves and has the right attitude - was my guinea pig for this and is pretty supportive of my foray into 'extending' my hobby to the glamour world.

Anyway, I just sent all 12 rolls of film to the lab and they should be ready by Tuesday.

Some things I have learned as a neophyte:
1. It takes a LONG time to set up the equipment
2. Music is essential!
3. Food is essential!
4. My printouts of pics that had poses I like was invaluable
5. Moving the lighting around to get the effect I wanted takes patience
6. I now know that I can't get 12 good shots on a roll and I'll be lucky to get 1 per roll
7. Backdrops need duct tape to stop them from rolling and rolling and rolling...
8. Props and clothing are essential
9. Heat is essential!
10. Having a great model like Michelle is wonderful. She had ideas and knew lots of poses to try.
11. I love my Hasselblad! But, I need more backs! One is not enough since I wanted to take B&W and colour reversal at the same time for comparative purposes.

Anyway, I'll find a place to scan the photos I like from this test session and let you guys loose on them for critical analysis. In the meantime, I'm going to Art Ketchum's half day workshop tomorrow to learn and learn some more.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Art Visit Art's homepage! Find More Posts by Art

Your very soul is in danger
Old 02-08-2003, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35686

riosun is offline IP: 205.247.107.105

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Turn back now, man.
Turn away from the lights.
You are about to embark on a hellish journey of addiction.
Ya think cocaine is an expensive addiction?
Hah!
Heroin?
Feh!
Tools?
Not eeeeven!
Beanie Babies?
Cheap!
Now comes the real expense. You've got the lights and the Hassy. Now you want another back. Then it will be softboxes and umbrellas, snoots and grids. Light stands won't be good enough. You'll need the aircushioned ones. Why buy a 40-inch umbrella when you can get an 8-foot Octabank?
Pretty soon you'll be like the rest of use, telling the models, "just one more roll? One more, Okay? It won't be anything weird ...or, uh, very weird, that is... Do you like chocolate ... and ferrets?"
You'll know the addiction has truly set in because you're doing baby pictures and passport photos to pay for your habit. The equipment will get bigger and bigger. I used to have a studio that was 10 feet wide. I bought a boom with a 9-foot arm.
It won't be long before you plug in your new Whizz-bang power pack and watch the neighbors' lights dim. When you fire it, the chocolate will melt and the ferret will 20 percent of his fur and the sight in his left eye.
You'll have a computer the size of a Buick. There will be enough RAM in it to cure cancer ( or cause it) but it still won't run Photoshop fast enough ....
It's probably too late for you now.
Bruce
  View Public Profile Send a private message to riosun Visit riosun's homepage! Find More Posts by riosun

Ain\'t that the truth
Old 02-08-2003, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360

Clint is offline IP: 65.148.9.174

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: Your very soul is in danger
Old 02-08-2003, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.208.208

I'm already there Bruce!! LOL I'm running a 2.1 GHz AMD Athlon Thunderbird, two 40 GB harddrives striped for maximum throughput in a RAID configuration, a screaming video board with 128 MB of DDR RAM (to be added in a couple weeks), 1 GB of DDR RAM, a 22-inch monitor, DSL service, a four-port Netgear hub, a Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 slide/negative scanner, an Epson C80 (for now) printer, a flatbed scanner, CD, CD burner, ho-hum....and I haven't even gotten to my studio lights yet. I have a set of four Speedos (1600 watt/sec) and just got the latest Chimera catalog....I've already drueled on most of the pages. Jeez....I need to find a way that I'm related to Bill Gates so I can borrow some money from him to support this addiction....SIGH Oh, and I also run Linux on my system. I'm building my own Kernel and am customizing my drivers for only the hardware I have. You want to talk about speed in booting.....Windows takes a full minute and a half to boot all of it's superfluous bulls$$t but Linux can load from power off to ready in just under 8 seconds. Linux RULES! RAID rules too for maximum throughput (gotta love the 400 MHz front side bus too!)

Unfortunately I have what I would consider a very small studio, and I don't like that. The ceiling is only 8 feet and it's dimensions are something like 26x26 ft. I want a 10-foot, or preferably 12-foot, ceiling so I can get more "toys" like some nice strip lightbanks or perhaps a pancake lantern or two. I'd also like to add to that list a complete set of window patters to play with. So many toys....so little money.....so little time......so many models.....Just shoot me now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 02-08-2003, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.37.237.5

Dang...

I was almost impressed till the Linux comment....heheheh

Rick

Old 02-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 64.223.211.36

Hi Rick,

I laughed when I read your comment. However, if you haven't tried Linux, it's "da bomb, dude." I work with Unix-based equipment quite regularly and so Linux is just an extension of that OS. And also, for those of you who shell out hundreds, even thousands, of dollars for software, Linux has a program called GIMP that is Photoshop renamed, and because Linux is open source, it's FREE!! It's extremely powerful and has tons of plug-ins for all occasions. Not only that, Linux is incredibly stable, immensely powerful, highly customizable, the best for networking, and FREE!

Ok, off my soapbox for now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! Good day!

Mike

I regretfully report that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. won the Budweiser shootout yesterday eve. I put my flag at half-mast. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: My first studio session...
Old 02-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
jreynolds

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.56.152.31

Have to agree that it's all over for you now. Just have to hope you're single 'cuz trying to 'justify' all the new photo/darkroom/computer hard/software toys you're going to want (well, OK, can't really live without) will put a strain on a relationship that can only be beat by coming home with a couple 20 year olds on each arm and lipstick on your collar.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 12.250.240.158

Ok I just had to join in.

I started a website design and hosting company after the tech bubble pop welcomed me to the unemployment lines. Clients have been few and the money has been terrible. Life is good as my wife makes enough to keep us eating Chinese food every weekend [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]... And then I jumped head first back into my photography hobby and it has clamped on to my man-hood like alligator-clips to nipples:

I built a studio in my basement... Used Home Depot lights and a used painters canvas drop cloth for a backdrop. Shot my wife with a point and click Sony DSC-S85 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and loved it.

Ripped down that studio and setup a new one. Different area of the basement with more room and got more lights and bought backdrops and put up a rail system to hang them all from and shot my wife with my Sony DSC-S85 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] and loved it!

Christmas hit and I got a Canon D60 with 2 lenses and a 1 gig microdrive and have been sleeping with it every night [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]! Found this forum and posted questions about lights and bought my first *real* Alien Bees lights. I'm shooting my wife every weekend and loving it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!

Now I have an idea for a kick-ass project I want to start. Awesome idea with money making potential but just one problem... There is no way I can start shooting a bunch a nude women in my house unless I want to move into my own place! (I don't think the wife would ever have it!) So after much pain I've decided that if I can't join 'em I'll support 'em.

I've actually put the camera down and I'm developing a content management backend system for websites tailored to photographers and models. As soon as it's done I'm going to offer websites to photographers and models almost exclusively. I'm also going to be offering my Photoshop skills to anyone who wants thier images enhanced. - let the addiction be complete. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

This is not a sales pitch though. I just wanted to say that it's great to have a forum like this where I can feel kind of like I'm one of the crowd and not some freak! Well - kind of!

Welcome to the fun!
Old 02-11-2003, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.121.2

and you should get some "A" clamps at the hardware store to keep the backdrop from unrolling. Duct tape will leave a sticky residue....

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Already done....
Old 02-12-2003, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

I have just finished just such a program (content management system for photographers & models). I'll have a demo up in 2-3 weeks for others to see. I spent 7 months developing mine. I'd be curious to see what my competition has developed ;-) I can tell you that if you design ANYTHING that locks someone into a predefined look you might as well start over. A GOOD content management system should be able to take most any typical photography or model site and be able to maintain ALL the dynamic content on the site. This means you should have the ability to add galleries, show galleries in most any order, create thumbnails, rotate images, create multiple index pages with navigation between each page, journal entries, shopping carts, etc. If you don't MINIMALLY do all that then keep coding ;-) The system I have developed can be used for photographers, paysites, models or ANY site that needs to maintain images.

A bit of the code I developed will be used for the new portfolio system I am developing for us here on GG.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you developing yours on? Will it be PC, Mac or server based?

Good luck with your code...