Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Teleconverter and DOF.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay before you tell me my camera sucks..this is the best I can afford right now...I have a Fuji S20 pro. the lens focal length is 7.8mm-46.8mm(Equivalent to 35-200mm on a 35mm camera) my question is..I dont get very good DOF with this camera and was wondering if I should invest in something like this.
http://www.calibex.com/Fuji_tl_fx9_b...calibex1z2-htm

Will it improve my DOF?
or is just a waste of money?
Don

Re: Teleconverter and DOF.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687
Comments: 0

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 69.157.122.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The more you zoom in the more the BG will be out of focus. Also the wider the appeture the softer the BG. Try backing up and using less light first. Sorry I just re-read your post. These instructions will get you less DOF. Of course if you need more DOF just do the oppisite.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Old 04-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.165.143

Sean Im trying to get softer background.....but seems like I have to be miles away....and really zoom in...
Don.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

The teleconverter will just force you to back up further. Maybe bring your subject away from the BG?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Old 04-27-2005, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Also a faster shutter speed, this will force the aperature to be opened up more.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.78.91

The teleconverter increases effective focal length which will reduce DoF, if the subject size remains constant... but that means back up so the TC won't help unless you can back well off your subject.

You can pull your subject away from the BG and use enough light to shoot wide open and, using the DoF calculator you posted, put the back of your subject at the far end of the acceptable range of focus.

Depending on the shot and BG, you can use a light to blow the background out or you can hide it by keeping your lights close to the model and using the fall off to leave it in shadow (you want those lights to have lots of surface area to keep the shadows soft).

Hard to say if the TC is worth it in general. You may prefer to save the cash and put it toward a Digital SLR. You're getting nice images with what you're using now.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 04-27-2005, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.86.150

Hi Don ,
I don't think your camera sucks- 6.2 megapixels AND a 6x optical zoom AND a f2.8-3.1 35-210mm lens
just because it can't change lenses is no big deal, the specs on it seem REAL good

Do not bother with the teleconverter (the one you linked to does not even say it works on your model)

If you want a softer background try this
aperture mode set at widest 2.8 or 3.1 ( shallowest depth of field )
or set to manual mode then you can play with the shutter speed too
longer zoom stting over 100mm (NOT to noticable if not really far back from subject)
I believe that the same distance is in focus(6 foot is still 6 foot for example) BUT longer zoom compresses overall distance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] -- bad explanation -- [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

heck , you could even try the portrait mode or action mode , they should be set for more speed than depth of field I think ??
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

My math sucks...
Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

I never did well in math, but my calcuations say that your camera at 20mm zoom is about an 85mm on a 35mm film camera. This is probably the lowest I would zoom to avoid distorion effect of the wider angles.

As you noticed on the other post, the 85mm is usually the lowest focal length I use and I try to shoot with as wide an apeture as possible to blur everything with depth of field. I'm not sure about the optics of you camera, but I would guess that if you set it to at least 20mm and no more than f/5.6 you would have a relatively shallow depth of field.

Something else to consider is distance to subject. The farther you are from the subject, the deeper your depth of field will become. So at greater distances use a smaller apeture than you were at a closer range. You can see this in you DOF calculator, but doing it in the camera will teach you faster.

I was blessed to start with a camera that has a DOF preview on it, which is a feature my cameras still must have (along with a vertical grip and shutter release). This feature allowed me to see exactly what the apeture was doing to my DOF when I composed the shot. Now my camera is almost always set to apeture priority on a low f/stop or on manual mode with again, a wide apeture. I simply like the shallow DOF and it has become part of my style--as poor as it is...

This was taken with an 85mm f/1.8 lens, likely set to f/2.8 or f/4. The trees and pillar are blurred because of the apeture and focal length combination. But, note that I could have blurred more had I moved closer. Of course I wouldn't have been able to fit her entire body in the frame. I was about 20 feet away, because I remember having to yell at her to give instructions on the windy day.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 04-27-2005, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35475
Send a message via AIM to CharlieG

CharlieG is offline IP: 69.73.88.218

My personal experience with Fixed Lens & Point & Shoot Digis is this....

There is no such an animal as a shallow DOF on this type of camera....
F2.8 looks like F16 etc to me......
The more you zoom in the less DOF you have in theory but many of these
cameras types just don't see it the way you want it....
It was a real learning curve for me since I was used to flim SLRS
and had to create a shallow DOF in my post production of the photo
instead of in the camera......
I finally bought a DSLR with interchangeble lenses about 3 years ago &
use my P&S fixed lens digi for snaps.....

Create the shallow DOF in Photoshop....

View Public Profile Send a private message to CharlieG Find More Posts by CharlieG

Old 04-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

[ QUOTE ]
There is no such an animal as a shallow DOF on this type of camera....
F2.8 looks like F16 etc to me......I finally bought a DSLR with interchangeble lenses about 3 years ago & use my P&S fixed lens digi for snaps.....

Create the shallow DOF in Photoshop....

[/ QUOTE ]

So, ...you're saying his camera sucks... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Somewhere I have a Nikon Coolpix that my father bought when the $12,000 Nikon E2 was the digital SLR. Obviously we didn't buy that one. He since upgraded and past the camera on to me, which after one shot I declared to my wife I was buying a new D100.

I tend to agree that the apeture and focal length combinations aren't exactly what you get with a DSLR, but he should still get some of the effect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan