Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
For all Digital SLR owners
Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42806
Comments: 0

vsrdan is offline IP: 24.208.88.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that you could clean the image sensor with a statically charged brush (the 'expert' advises to "charge" the brush by holding it against a dry air stream from a dust blower and then moving it in front of the sensor). I was thinking about it and according to my knowledge this would be a bad idea. The reason is that any static spark (this could happen) would destroy sensitive electrical components inside the camera (just like in any other electrical device).

This is just a thought. I am not an expert in DSLR hardware (but I know a little bit about computers though).

As I remember this was in some web site.. sorry I cannot remember which one. If you happen to read it, check with a real camera expert before trying this method.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan

Re: For all Digital SLR owners
Old 04-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38861
Send a message via AIM to aknudsen Send a message via MSN to aknudsen Send a message via Skype™ to aknudsen

aknudsen is offline IP: 68.114.114.37

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A rocket blower is your best friend here. Depending on what camera you have.

On my Fuji S2 I used the sensor swabs and cleaning liquid when the sensor got too dirty. I do a lot of nature stuff and change lenses quite often. Then when ever I see a speck I use the rocket blower which most of the time is enough.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=259157&is=REG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to aknudsen Visit aknudsen's homepage! Find More Posts by aknudsen

Old 04-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40262

kpfoto is offline IP: 68.44.148.223

go here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...449&print=true

rob knows his stuff.

and here:

www.visibledust.com

they work.

knowledge is good...

kp
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kpfoto Visit kpfoto's homepage! Find More Posts by kpfoto

Old 04-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.226.65.173

I have a question that will show my ignorance when it comes to DSLR's, due to the fact that I sill only use film. Can a DSLR get a virus when you transfer you files back and forth from an infected computer via removeable media or hardwire?

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 04-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

I certainly have never heard of that. One thing is that you should only be reading the CF card from the camera -- not writing it from the computer. And I format my CF cards after each use.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 04-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 151.201.13.251

I am likewise not an expert in DSLR sensors, but have some familiarity with static discharges and solid state sensors. I also remember using a brush with a radioactive strip to brush negatives to reduce the static to help eliminate dust.

Seems to me that the amount of static generated by holding a brush in an airstream is unlikely to damage a modern solid state device. Emphasis on "unlikely." Also seems to me that a static charged brush is no more effective than a static-free brush; in fact, should be less effective, once the dust particles become charged themselves.

While I don't think you're likely to damage the sensor, I agree that it seems like a poor idea.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 04-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 151.201.13.251

The virus would have to be designed for the processor inside the DSLR and it would only be possible for certain compression formats that require the processor to act on the file format. I think JPEG is such a format, but most uncompressed formats can not support a virus.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Viruses
Old 04-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42806

vsrdan is offline IP: 24.208.88.244

There are viruses for cell phones and other portable devices now.. so, after some time, there will be viruses for other devices, too. There are always people who use their "talents" to make others' lives miserable. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

However, I don't know if the camera's firmware is equivalent to software (operating systems) in other devices. Firmware -as I understand- is something similar to BIOS in computers. In computers, normally viruses attack operating system and other software.. not BIOS. I may be wrong. Just a guess!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan

Re: Viruses
Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.113

I learned that you are right about that.. I took a call from a hotel manager in Chicago,...the call said "UNKNOWN" all in caps..rather than "Unknown"..so, I wondered what happened there... then the next thing I know,..it was like I was talking with a poor signal..and then I couldn't hear the guy..but he heard me clearly.. I hang up,...and then every call I made or took was like that.. I learned from my phone company that my phone might have been infected by some sort of cell phone virus.. which made the phone useless...and so I had to replace it..

With this technology that Hollywood stars might be able to use against photographers photographing them,...shutting down their digital cameras, makes me believe that there could be problems with some one coming up with a way to screw up someone's camera who was minding his own business.. ....OR, imagine some stupid Hollywood star attending a sports game...who didn't want to be photographed in their seat...and wore one of those badges, that screwed up the cameras of working professionals who are photographing for the team, or some sports publication??

Or,...imagine doing a job where you are being paid to travel, to shoot, and this is your client...and some [censored] decides to prank you with one of those contraptions.....if I'd find the guy...I'd sooo kick his ass! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

JP

Re: Viruses
Old 04-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.78.91

Now I'm wondering if my cell phone has a virus... I'm constantly dropping calls while standing on my front porch looking at the tower which is no more than 1000 yards away.

Regarding camera viruses, it seems possible, but the communication would have to be from a device TO the camera... wireless or tethered shooting could open that vulnerability.

I almost never shoot tethered even in the studio. I basically shoot till the card is ready to pull and then download it. I always format the card when I put it in the camera. Right now I figure I'm safe but I'm looking into a D2X with wireless here in the near future.

Camera firmware does include an OS, all computing devices have an OS. The camera has what is called an embedded OS. It could be corrupted but the virus would have to trigger the function to update it which deletes and re-writes all the firmware.

If only you could channel all the energy expended writing viruses into something positive. Some of those kids are geniuses.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth