Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Have Photoshop 7.0 and wanna sell it?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 67.40.74.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok.. I bought Photoshop 7 when it first came out. I use it alot, and had registered it. Every week or so it does the registration via web, and does the required file update..

This is not a problem...

Last night I was doing some work in PS7.. all was OK.. shut down, and went to dinner.. when I got home.. I opened PS.. and major error box opened.. when I clicked on details.. I then copied the error... but after I closed the error system locked up.. had to power boot the computer..

(that erases the clipboard, so I cant paste error to print it out or email adobe..)

Adobe sent me to tech site.. followed directions and uninstalled and fixed registry.. all should be OK.

Installed from original CD.. took serial number and installed with NO errors... opened Photoshop 7... GOT same error..

Adobe says buy NEW copy of PS7.. anyone got a Photoshop version 7 they are not using, and want to sell CHEAP????

And no, I am not going to buy CS or CS2

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Re: Have Photoshop 7.0 and wanna sell it?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't have one to sell, sorry, but I am mystified by Adobe's response. Poor technical support really bothers me, being in the industry myself.

How do they expect a new copy of PS7 to act any different than the one you already have? Do you recall what the error message was? Maybe I (or someone else here) can help.

Is this Windows you are using? What flavor?

Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 04-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have one to sell, sorry, but I am mystified by Adobe's response. Poor technical support really bothers me, being in the industry myself.

How do they expect a new copy of PS7 to act any different than the one you already have? Do you recall what the error message was? Maybe I (or someone else here) can help.

Is this Windows you are using? What flavor?

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only was it an original purchase, they have my registration for it and 3 other programs of theirs... but they do not support PS7 unless you pay 59.95 per call or some outrageous amount for yearly support. then she asked for my serial number and said it wasnt valid, and hung up on me. Yet in an emial they wanted me to buy CS or CS2... I am not happy...

win98SE on PC. (I cant downgrade to XP home or Pro as I beta test some other software the requires 98se.) I dont have it loaded right now.. I will however reload it and then write the error down.. as I plan on writing a scathing letter to Adobe for todays phone call. I plan to post the entire error in the letter, and then post the letter in a number of places on the NET. along with copies of my reciepts for the purchase of various software programs from them. I have not "copied, stolen or otherwise abused their licensing agreement", yet they refuse to help support their software.

I appreciate any help I can get, and as I have been doing tech support for hardware and software for a number of years, not to mention some 100 to 150 computers that I have built from parts and are still working and what not.. I am willing to talk to or get any ideas... I will post the info from the error message later, but first...

Dinner, a stiff drink (Diet Mt. Dew), and if lucky.. Fresh Strawberries for desert...

Later folks, I am headed to dinner...

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 04-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 141.154.217.75

Andrew,

I have been using PS since v3.0 and have never had a problem with Adobe. The problem seems to be that your serial number doesn't match what is on the disk. My copy has all numbers and no letters. Did you check carefully for a transposed digit, etc. If this doesn't work, perhaps you can call Adobe (pain to be on hold!) and see if the number matches the one you gave when you registered.

Don't envy you -- hope it gets corrected.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.78.91

Did you trash the PSPrefs file? It doesn't get deleted when you reinstall. It the source of all sorts of startup issues. It's definitely worth a try if you haven't already.

This is from the Adobe support site... note the last two steps in the WinXP version, it's a lot quicker if you don't care about your old prefs file.

Windows XP
Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Photoshop stores information about plug-ins, features, and the application itself in its primary preferences file. Re-create the primary Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems a damaged preferences file might cause. If re-creating the primary Photoshop preferences file doesn't resolve the problem, remove all Photoshop preferences files. If the problem continues, the preferences file isn't the cause.

To re-create the primary Photoshop preferences file:

1. Exit from Photoshop.

2. Locate the Adobe Photoshop [version] Prefs.psp file in the Documents and Settings\ [user profile] \Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\ [version] \Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder.

3. Rename the file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop [version] Prefs.old).

4. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new primary preferences file.

To restore custom settings, delete the new primary preferences file and restore the original name of the previous primary preferences file.

To remove all preferences files for Photoshop and retain the option to recover them:

1. Exit from Photoshop.

2. Locate the Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder.

3. Rename the folder to Old Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings.

4. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates new preferences files.

Note: If you need to use any of the old preferences files, delete the specific file in the Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder, and drag the file of the same name from the Old Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder into the Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings folder. Using old preferences files might cause the problem to recur.

To permanently delete all preferences files for Photoshop:

1. Exit from Photoshop.

2. Start Photoshop, and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift while Photoshop starts.

Mac OS
Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

You can re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems caused by a damaged preferences file.

Note: Re-creating the Photoshop preferences file restores settings to their defaults.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Drag the Photoshop preferences file to the Trash:

-- Photoshop CS: Drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Prefs.psp in the Users/[ user profile ]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

-- Photoshop 7.x: Drag the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Prefs in the Users/[ user name ]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 folder to the Trash.

3. Drag the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file from the Users: [user name]; Library: Preferences folder to the trash. (The com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file is a Photoshop preferences file run at the system level. Like other Photoshop preferences file, it's re-created when Photoshop opens.)

4. Restart Photoshop.

If the problem recurs after you re-create the Photoshop preferences file, the problem isn't related to the preferences file. To restore custom settings, drag the file you moved in step 2 back to its original location, and then click Yes to replace the new preferences file.

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Andrew,

I have been using PS since v3.0 and have never had a problem with Adobe. The problem seems to be that your serial number doesn't match what is on the disk. My copy has all numbers and no letters. Did you check carefully for a transposed digit, etc. If this doesn't work, perhaps you can call Adobe (pain to be on hold!) and see if the number matches the one you gave when you registered.

Don't envy you -- hope it gets corrected.

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, mine is all numbers and they even confirmed that it was the one I registered.. yet it shows as invalid in their computers. I had it installed and have been using it for a couple of years. till last night.

thanks

Old 04-20-2005, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

chip,

yes, i did follow the instructions.. and again did the same when on the phone with the customer support people at adobe.

I just need (According to them.. to buy a new copy.. "preferably CS or CS2, as they nolonger support version 7.)

Oh well, I am hoping to get a PS7 maybe from Ebay or someone who isnt using it or has an extra copy they never used.

Andrew

Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

If you have your original receipt for the purchase of PS 7, and you have the CD and the Serial number, then just photograph them and post a copy to the web. Then get on the line with Adobe and ask to speak to a supervisor and have them examine your documentation. If your are firm, and keep asking to speak with the next higher person (and get the name of each person you talk to), you'll eventually reach someone who will help you. I have used this technique with various software companies over the years and it has always worked (assuming you have a proof of purchase from a legitimate source).
However, CS2 and CS are really quite a large jump in ability over PS 7, so you may want to upgrade and just avoid the whole problem.
Good luck!
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
If you have your original receipt for the purchase of PS 7, and you have the CD and the Serial number, then just photograph them and post a copy to the web. Then get on the line with Adobe and ask to speak to a supervisor and have them examine your documentation. If your are firm, and keep asking to speak with the next higher person (and get the name of each person you talk to), you'll eventually reach someone who will help you. I have used this technique with various software companies over the years and it has always worked (assuming you have a proof of purchase from a legitimate source).
However, CS2 and CS are really quite a large jump in ability over PS 7, so you may want to upgrade and just avoid the whole problem.
Good luck!
Cheers,
rfs

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, and I am doing just that..

However.. CS2 only runs under Windows 2000 and XP.. and as I said... I cant change my operating system.

andrew

That won\'t help you...
Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

If you use the exact same installer program to install the exact same program on the exact same disk, it will almost certainly fail in the exact same way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Whether you have a different installer *disc* is not going to change anything. You've got a corrupted file that PS is trying to access and a reinstall (you did do an uninstall and not just a delete-the-directory, right?) will not fix that.

The likely solution to your problem is an OS reinstall. Sorry about that - been there myself (and at least on one occasion I *did* buy the upgrade, and it *still* didn't help, because the problem was in the OS.)

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc