Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color Correcting
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41749
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to clickin

clickin is offline IP: 67.50.116.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am seeing a lot of images on here that are not color correct. Do we have our monitors calibrated? Do we white balance our cameras? Food for thought. I am not the best at this just something I have noticed. Yes my monitor is color calibrated and I white balance my camera with every lighting change and scence change.

clark
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to clickin Find More Posts by clickin

Re: Color Correcting
Old 04-20-2005, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

But can't the choice of color be somewhat subjective. How does one know a color is incorrect? Perhaps the color that we see on our monitor is the color desired by the photographer or perhaps it is really the color it is, but we think it should be a different color according to the way we view things.
For example, we here the old expression that grass is green and the sky is blue. But when I look at grass it appears to be sort of a yellowish green and the sky appears more cyan. Sort of like the difference between fuji film and kodak film which render grass and sky very differently.
So what do we really mean when we say the color is not correct? Are we saying it does not match some arbitrary standard? If so, must we all accept that standard or does artistic license play a part?
I don't know the anwser to these questions as it all seems sort of subjective to me.
cheers,
rfs

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Those are very good questions ... We need to understand that there are mathmatical formuals for colors on our monitors. They can be off ( or not color correct ) We dial in the color we think that the face should be ( or whatever ) and we dial in or out the color that is and then the color is off for everyone that has a color corrected monitor. There are color correction devices and should be used to dial in color for your prints. This standard is used by photolabs around the world. Sure there are images that have artisit interpretation ... but I am not talking about them. Lets get color correct!!!!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to clickin Find More Posts by clickin

Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

But there are competing devices for color balancing our monitors. I've found that different devices give different results. This may be due to the device, the software, or the interaction of the user with the two. I'm not sure there is any good solution to the problem. I guess each person could post a Macbeth color chart and then each user could view that person's photos based on that color chart. For example, here is how the Macbeth looks on my Monitor:

And following are two charts, one with the Adobe RGB color space and the other with sRGB color space. How does all this show up on your monitor?

PS: My monitor is color balanced using the Spyder 1.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-20-2005, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 70.114.225.153

Personally, I'd like to see more natural looking skin tones.. A lot of the images posted here appear orange.. That's just a different issue though..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 04-20-2005, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

If your monitor is color calibrated then I don't think that is a different issue at all. I have noticed a lot of orange and magenta images on here.

clark

Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

It looks exactly how I would think it should. I use the same monitor calibrater and they look real good.

thanks

clark

Old 04-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.33.219

I'd rather see her without the color chart.

Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.78.91

I agree that correcting color is crucial and one of the first things you should do when editing an image... but you should do it by the numbers, not visually on a monitor.

You don't have to have a calibrated monitor to correct color... you don't even need to see the color. Most monitors are not calibrated, color rendition on them changes over time and when viewing conditions change. Most color correction is done using black, white and grey luminosity values.

Converting, assigning or embedding color profiles is another factor that affects how an image looks when output on different devices. Then there's JPEG compression, saving for web, LCD vs. CRT contrast ratios, CMYK vs. RGB rendering intent, blablabla. Just because it looks too magenta on your calibrated system doesn't mean the color values are wrong, it means they are not relating to the same standard color model the same way.

Fact is, color management is religion with a little bit of science mixed in. It's a matter of choice and intent... and device profiling. The loop has to be closed for it to work and EVERY device has to be calibrated and matched to the same standard.

I also agree that you see lots of digital images on the web that are poorly white balanced. I'm guilty of it. I shoot manual white balance and sometimes I forget. That's one of the reasons I shoot RAW files.

Most importantly, as RFS stated, color is subjective and open to creative tinkering. No recording or output device has the capability of a human eye. Let color be an artistic medium. Interpret with it, stimulate with it... Enjoy it.

Regards,
Chip

"When Im working, the camera kind of takes over. I don't even know I'm taking pictures." Eddie Adams

View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 04-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

I am just saying let's not be sloppy when it comes to color balance. You seem to agree with a lot of what I said. However the outcome, we need to be more professional looking. Like you said, you use numbers. I am assuming you use Photoshop to do that. I have noticed with talking to ppl on here that they use Photo Elements, I am not sure that feature is in Photo Elements. I used Photoshop and because I am in the habbit of white balancing every scene or lighting change, I don't correct a lot. So my ability to correct in Photoshop is somewhat limited. When ppl say they use the numbers. I can't seem to find a neutral whatever to click on. Maybe I am doing it all wrong. Probably the latter.

clark