Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
WoW!! FujiS2
Old 02-04-2003, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35201
Comments: 0
My Mood:

RandyF is offline IP: 24.55.234.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just received my S2 today...Allright! no more lab processing fees..unless the client wants chromes..Can't wait to get the instructions read and start using this sucker....look for my film cameras on e-bay soon! MY SITE RANDY@RANDYFREITAL.COM
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RandyF Visit RandyF's homepage! Find More Posts by RandyF

Re: WoW!! FujiS2
Old 02-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 152.163.204.76

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Not so fast! I wouldn't get rid of your film cameras just yet.

As a dedicated D1x user for more than six months and having shot probably 10,000 photos in that time (no kidding) I still use my film cameras.

In all honesty, there are just some situations where film just works or has advantages over digital.

I don't know if you shoot any black and white or not, but a BW digital image just isn't yet the same as Tri-x or Tmax.

Chromes, real chromes, ....digital just isn't there yet.

There is also a learning curve to these things so don't be dissapointed if you struggle through some issues.

As much as I loved the immediate feedback, clarity, and ease of use of my D1x, I struggled with color matching and getting that certain "pop" I was looking for that I had seen in so many other digital post.

Would I ever "go back" to film, absolutely not. But do I have situations where film just suits the situation better than digital. Yup.

Now, if you want to shoot digital and then get on photoshop and tweak around and tweak around, yeah, you can get digital images to look real close to present day chromes. But if you are in a hurry, I would shoot chromes if on a tight frame.

And as much as some people just won't beleive this, I actually have gotten to where I yearn for the "old" way of shooting film every once and a while and denying myself the "instant" gratification. It must be similiar to why some people go to al the trouble of making home made icecream.

It's kind of fun to shoot film and have to wait to see what you got.

Enjoy... you'll wonder why you never went digital sooner, but get back to me in six months and tell me if you haven't figured out some use for those old film cameras.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Back up the the film train.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35409

gmfoto is offline IP: 68.64.255.154

I swore that I would never use film again. I would not take the digital cameras out in this kind of weather.
I am glad that I didn't sell the F-100 and N-90.
Both have been proven in poor weather conditions but the digital have not been proven in wind driven snow and rain. Has anyone changed efilm in pouring rain yet? web page
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gmfoto Visit gmfoto's homepage! Find More Posts by gmfoto

Old 02-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
newshawk

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 209.214.3.156

Randy

Not sure why you would want to sell your film cameras. What are you going to do if the digital goes down? And they do often!

And film will still be here 10 years from now after most of today's digital cameras are obsolete!

Re: Back up the the film train.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.37.237.5

Well havent changed efilm....use the gig microdrive so havnt had to yet.....but have wrapped the d1 in two towels and put it in the hard saddlebags...rode about 400 miles one way took pics and then rode back with nary a problem.

Rick Shellhouse

Re: Back up the the film train.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 208.45.98.41

I took my digicam with me on a boat ride on Lake Odessa. The boat was a 14ft john boat, and if you know anything about these, you know if you go fast you *do* get splashed. Not going fast was not an option with my father at the helm, trust me.

So I got a heavy-duty freezer bag, cut a hole in it just big enough for the lens barrel, and sealed the rest of the camera up in it. I put a bit of tape over the place where the hole in the bag touched the camera, although it stretched over it with no problems. I probably could also have used a rubberband. I could still work the shutter release and most of the other controls through the bag, and I could see the display to check the shots. I had a UV filter over the lens so the camera was essentially totally sealed. I got splashed quite a bit, but I was able to take pictures, and the camera was unaffected.

I didn't think of this trick - I forget where I read it - but it does just fine for protecting digicams from wet environments. Freezing *cold* environments I don't know about, although I have taken my camera outside to take pictures in the wintertime with no apparent problems.

St. Marc
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Water + CF cards
Old 02-06-2003, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35548

mvpphoto is offline IP: 65.205.152.98

Last October I shot the Columbus Day Regatta in Miami. After shooting about 400 images of the race and the crowd, I put the camera away and started partying with the rest of the 10,000 crazies. About an hour and 3 rum runners later I decided to jump in the water. Unfortunately, I still had my CF card case in the pocket of my baggies. I immediately soaked the cards in fresh water and let them dry. After about 24 hour all four cards came back to life and I was able to download the images. The cards still work fine and I have never had any problem with them. I don't have any plans on trying this trick again though.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mvpphoto Visit mvpphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by mvpphoto

Digital Cameras + Cold / Snow
Old 02-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35548

mvpphoto is offline IP: 66.32.37.161

Being from Florida I can not be counted as an expert on that white stuff you guys get every winter, but I do get to visit it at least once a year. I shot both digital and film at the Salt Lake Olympics last year. We got both sub-zero temps and white-out conditions during our stay. I had to keep changing the batteries in my film camera because of the cold, but the digital never missed a beat. After the first few days, I put the film camera away and shot nothing but digital until we left.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mvpphoto Visit mvpphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by mvpphoto

Back Up Camera
Old 02-06-2003, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RandyF is offline IP: 24.55.234.167

I was probably jumping the gun a little..I know you should have a back up camera.. and until I can afford a second digital as back up I am sure I will keep a film camera handy..

thanks for the input.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RandyF Visit RandyF's homepage! Find More Posts by RandyF

Old 02-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

RandyF is offline IP: 24.55.236.47

Bill, I am sure your right,,I just got caught up in the excitment of the instaneous results from using the digital camera..