Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Infrared Transmitter for Hotshoe
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793
Comments: 0

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.1.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've got some Alien Bees that I want to fire without the use of a PC cord.

The MacGyver method I've adopted is to put a dedicated flash on the camera and fire it at the lowest possible setting to trigger the slaves in the monolights without affecting exposure.

I saw some products from Wein that might do the same thing with infrared flashes, but I don't know much about these. What would be the best product, by any manufacturer, to use so that I never have to upgrade?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Re: Infrared Transmitter for Hotshoe
Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40913

mwestermeier is offline IP: 69.81.58.85

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Alan,

Without a doubt the pocket wizard is the best I've ever used. My light meter (sekonic) has a built-in transmitter, which allows me to fire the strobes, more than handy, indispensable after you've used them. http://www.pocketwizard.com

mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mwestermeier Visit mwestermeier's homepage! Find More Posts by mwestermeier

Old 04-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36935

BhamPhoto is offline IP: 209.192.43.206

JimmyD posted a link to ones on ebay that were dirt cheap. probably worth a try.

here is the link he posted

ebay radio slaves
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BhamPhoto Find More Posts by BhamPhoto

Old 04-15-2005, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43319

kwik67 is offline IP: 207.105.197.130

I just received this same transmitter for my AB800 and so far it work's great. but I did have to replace the batteries in the receiver when I first received them. It's only been a couple of weeks and I have setup a small studio in the garage. So far so good. Hopefully soon I may be able to post shoots up here. Have to find a TFP model first.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kwik67 Find More Posts by kwik67

Old 04-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39766
Send a message via Skype™ to Vividvisions

Vividvisions is offline IP: 68.193.229.185

They are definitely worth the money. Had mine for a quite while now and never had a problem so far, they just work fine. The transmitter has a "Test" button on the top, when I use it with my lightmeter I just hold the meter in one hand and push the button on the transmitter with the other. While not as convenient as a built in PocketWizard transmitter it sure saves a bunch of money....

View Public Profile Send a private message to Vividvisions Visit Vividvisions's homepage! Find More Posts by Vividvisions

Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.238.140

I've used Wein's since they first came out many, many years ago and still prefer them to the PWs if I'm indoors or in studio. They're smaller, lighter, more rugged (no antenna to worry about snapping) and very reliable. That said, they've gotten more expensive over the years, and I prefer having a couple backup transmitters because if any part goes, that'll be the part (you can get cheap peanut slaves for the other packs, if they don't have built-ins). Some power packs have the reciever part of the system built-in, so you might only need the transmitters. Also, if I'm shooting Polaroids, I keep an extra transmitter in the Polaroid camera, and one extra to fire the strobe when using my handheld meter. I've used them outdoors, but they're not as reliable as Wein would have you think, you need to be more line-of-sight to the main receiver, since there are no walls for the signal to bounce off of. So for that reason, I recently purchase a pair of PWs, and I have the Sekonic meter with the built-in transmitter, and it all works fine. I guess if you had to pick one for all purposes, the PW would be the way to go, but I still prefer the Weins when practical. (And note - the PWs all have multi-channel selectors for multiple photographers on one location, something I rarely get into anyway. You have to buy the more expensive units to get that on the Wein system).

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 04-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.123.178

If you plan on using infrared pickup a couple of peanuts with extension cables.

Since they work line of sight, if you have a black ceiling, or the sensor is pointed the wrong way you may have trouble triggering some heads... such as hair lights. The peanut taped to a stand pointed at the camera can make your life easier.

Glenn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

not true
Old 04-17-2005, 02:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.205.159

They're not "line of sight" at all. Unless every single surface in the room is painted black, and the pack with the infared receiver is behind you, you should be okay. Sometimes we have to move a pack from behind something in those cases, but once one pack fires all the others will fire from peanut slaves no matter which way they're pointing. What I was referring to was being outside, if the pack is behind you, there is noting to bounce the signal back to the back.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: not true
Old 04-17-2005, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.123.178

I don't know what's true, I just know what happens in my studio. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't own Bees, but many of my rental clients do. ( I see 5 or 6 different sets of Bees a month)

I do have black ceilings to control bounce, but the walls are white.

Getting Alien Bee slaves to fire without peanuts can sometimes be real challenge. In some sessions we have had to set up bounce cards just to get all the heads to fire... use Pocketwizards to fire the boom light and have bounce cards behind the front lights just to reflect the light back into sensors.

Other heads can be just as difficult.

Glenn

View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

Unit problem ...
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I've worked with lots of Bees in different settings and only know of one instance where the problem you describe happened. It turned out that the unit was defective and Buff fixed it for free. The Bees have a long warranty and the the Buff organization works very hard to make sure you're satisfied. So perhaps you should have the units checked out.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith