Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RC or fiber?
Old 04-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.179.218

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

I recently made a post about modelling portfolios, and I didn't think to ask this, but if you're printing traditional black & white for a model portfolio, does it matter what type of paper the prints are (RC or fiber)? I know that all traditional color paper is RC, and you can't get the "luster", "pearl", etc. surfaces with fiber.

Any help y'all can give would rock. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: RC or fiber?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576
Comments: 0

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.247.193.169

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Go with the RC. It's cheaper, lasts just as long and doesn't curl on you while it dries. Use the fiber for your fine art work.

Rick D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 04-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Cool, Rick. To be honest, I've never used RC paper before, but for something like this, it did seem like it'd be the way to go.

Thanks for confirming it for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

[ QUOTE ]
I know that all traditional color paper is RC, and you can't get the "luster", "pearl", etc. surfaces with fiber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, a fiber paper marked "glossy" looks much closer to RC paper marked luster or pearl unless you ferrotype it. It has a little more sheen than the RC stuff, but it's not anywhere near an RC gloss. Also, different manufacturer's papers can look quite different, so not all "matte" and "glossy" finishes are created equal, either. The type of paper (bartya, cotton rag, etc.) has an effect on the surface appearance too. Finaly, for even more fun, you can throw warm, cold, and neutral-toned emulsions into the mix.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 68.211.192.44

Whachu mean "you can't get the 'luster', 'pearl', etc., surfaces with fiber"? You'd better believe you can! You can get glossy, semi-glossy, luster, matte, semi-matte, pearl, and satin! You can even get warm or cool b+w paper. All in fiber! That's for "traditional" dark room, of course.

For digi printing, jeez, you can get all kinds of finishes from rag paper to canvas to watercolor paper to a more traditonal RC look.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 04-13-2005, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

[ QUOTE ]
Whachu mean "you can't get the 'luster', 'pearl', etc., surfaces with fiber"? You'd better believe you can! You can get glossy, semi-glossy, luster, matte, semi-matte, pearl, and satin! You can even get warm or cool b+w paper. All in fiber! That's for "traditional" dark room, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can?? I've only ever seen those surfaces offered for RC! Shows you what I know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I knew about the warm- & cooltone papers, but again, I've only seen those for RC, too.

For digital printing, I've gotten pretty partial to cotton rag. Ilford makes a good one, and Epson's Velvet Fine Art paper makes for some really beautiful prints.

Sam

Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Yep, looks like there's lots of stuff out there for me to play with. I've never done any ferrotyping, but from what I've read about it, it sounds pretty cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 04-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.81.100

Sam, after extinsive testing of both RC and Fiber paper made by Kodak, Ilford, and Orental, I have found some conclusive results. RC is much faster as far as processing. Fiber gives a whole different feel to the same photo. Here are my recommendations for both types. If short on time, RC is the way to go. But, if you have the time, I would use fiber for art and portraits. A glossy on fiber is like a luster or pearl on RC. The contrast is highest on RC glossy as a general rule. Anyways, good luck, if any more questions, feel free to email or pm me.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Cool, Isaiah, thanks for the info. If I do end up doing this modelling portfolio, time will probably be tight, so I may have to go with the RC, at least initially. One thing I am pretty excited about and I will most definitely be using fiber are printing some 6x6 negs that belonged to my friend's wife's grandad (I think) when he was in the Phillippines during World War II. They're way dirty, but I'm gonna clean 'em up for them and print a few.

I sent you a PM, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Sam

Old 04-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.81.100

I'd love to see some of those when you're done. No problem, sent you a pm back.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink