Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour > Garage Glamour Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Printing Color Problems. !!!HELP!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38589
Comments: 0

Scott_Young is offline IP: 4.27.219.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am having a moderate to serious printing issue. I’m shooting with both a Nikon D2H and a Fuji FinePix S2pro. I’m printing on an Epson Stylus Photo R800. My monitor is calibrated with a Pantone ColorVision Color Plus and I do trust its accuracy. My problem is everything I print comes out darker and skin comes out shifted to orange. I’ve tried using both the Adobe RGB 1998 and the profile for Epson Premium glossy photo paper which is what I’m printing on in Photoshop but everything I do comes out off.

I’ve gone threw the book that came with the printer and follow it’s directions on printing from a profile but that didn’t help at all.

Surely someone else has had this problem? Can anyone lend me some advice on how to fix this?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott_Young Visit Scott_Young's homepage! Find More Posts by Scott_Young

Re: Printing Color Problems. !!!HELP!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had a problem like that and to this day I can't find a real fix for the problem. What I have to do is adjust the image for less contrast and resize the image and then it seems to look much better.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

I had this exact same problem, and even complained about it thoroughly on this board. I wastes a ton of paper and ink to get it fixed. I basically ended up using the settings for semi-gloss in the coor management pane of the print window. Then, click on the printer button, turn off color management, and in the extensions window on the drop down menu, click thick paper.

Print settings should be best photo with gloss optimizer off (check the advanced box).

I have gotten the colors to look much more accurate now. At first, I hated this printer, but once I got it tuned in, I love it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 03-31-2005, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.78.91

Moyle's got it. You have two color profiles working, you need to discard one of them. It's a typical problem and I don't know why printer manufacturers don't put something more explicit in their documentation.

You only want to use one color profile, if you use two, the second profile translates the first one and the result is typically a shift toward magenta.

If you use Photoshop to convert (not assign) the profile of your base image from, say Adobe RGB or sRGB, to your Epson paper profile, say Premium Semi-gloss then, when you print, you want to go into the advanced print driver properties and tell it to use ICM (or whatever they happen to label color management) but for the driver to NOT apply any color adjustment. You see what I'm saying? The print driver should use color management but not apply a profile... because the profile is already applied by Photoshop.

The idea is to let the printer know you're using a color managed file with the correct paper profile already applied so it won't apply the profile again. You still want to select the paper that goes with the profile you converted to.

The clue, at least with my P2200s is that the Epson preview window that pops up when I print has a heavy magenta cast... because the preview window is double profiling and you can't turn it off.

I wonder how much paper and ink get expended with each printer as people try to figure this out. It's not just an Epson problem, it can happen with any printer that supports color management.

One unlikely possibility for the color problem you describe could be a vapor locked yellow cartridge... but I doubt it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 04-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 141.154.249.100

I had a simialr problem. If you are using a color profile in Photoshop, Make sure to turn OFF the color profile (probably under Advanced Settings) in the Epson set-up. It should make all the difference in the world.

Have Fun

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 04-01-2005, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 4.60.102.6

I think I had the same problem with my new R1800, I tried to print a shot using the Premium Glossy Profile and the print was horrible,

Then I tried one and selected something like "use embedded profile" and it worked pretty good. The shot I printed was soft out of my camera, so I don't think it was a proper indication of how the R1800.

I will try again tomorrow after my Photo Shoot, I also have some Luster paper to try...

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 04-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.33.8

In addition to making sure you are only using the PS profile, I find that the profiles from redriverpaper work better with Epson paper than the Epson profiles. http://www.redriverpaper.com/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 04-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for the advise. It gave me a few new directions to try. To this point the Epson directions on printing from a profile cover the part about turning off the second profile to avoid double profiling. So I had been doing that. My error in part was that my camera was assigning Adobe RGB and instead of doing a convert I was doing an assign and choosing the paper profile. When I did a convert it got better but only a little. I tried the other sugestions and was still off by a large margin. Then it accured to me. I didn't check the temperature setting in my LCD Monitors menu. It seems Sony defaults to 9300K. I followed the ColorVision directions by setting to default before calibrating. This was a huge mistake. This morning I set it to 6500K and recalibrated and now although I'm still a bit off it's within a margin I can correct for within the image by making it a tiny bit lighter.

Thanks again guys for all the great advise. It really helped.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott_Young Visit Scott_Young's homepage! Find More Posts by Scott_Young

Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Wow, I just tried those Red River profiles and they do make a very noticeable difference. The color is now very close to the mark. Thanks a bunch!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 69.231.220.209

I'm going to have to try these monday!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle