Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Translucent Umbrella
Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793
Comments: 0

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.19.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've got a 48-inch translucent umbrella that came with my lights. I don't have any education or training in photography, other than trial and a hell of a lot of error. In other words, I've got a lot of expensive equipment that I don't know how to use....

So, when do I shoot through the umbrella and why? What are the advantages and problems with shooting through the umbrella?

Also, if anyone knows of any good books that explain how to use studio equipment, I'd appreciate knowing the titles and authors...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Re: Translucent Umbrella
Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.58.237.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Don't get hung up too much on technical rules of when to do what. All those rules are made to be broken.

Experimenting is a great teacher... you will learn more how light and the modifyers actually behave, rather than just use someone else's rules of when to do XX and when to do YY.

When comparing shoot-through vs. bouncing an unbrella, a couple of key elements are how translucent it is and how big the light source is.

The more translucent the fabric is, the less the shadows are softened. The more opaque it is, the more shooting through will work like a softbox. But then you also loose more light. Shooting through can give you a "hotter" more distinct shadow with a soft edge... bouncing gives you generally a less distinct shadow. It depends on what effect you want.

If you use a light source with a small flash tube or reflector (like a Brietek (sp.)) or a typical battery strobe (like Vivitar 283) the concentrated nature of the light source can make the ribs in the umbrella cast shadows if you shoot through .... particularly with less opaque umbrellas. Also in that case, the catch-lights in the eyes will have a brighter center, and dimmer edge. Again, the ribs in the umbrella can show more.

Catchlights when bouncing the light, will have a black center in the umbrella with the lighstand (where the strobe head and lightstand are) and a more uniform rest of the catchlight where you can see the panels of the umbrella. I have seen the latter as sometimes a nice effect for a headshot of a model with really awsome eyes.

However, one thing you can do shooting through that is hard with bouncing, is get the fabric of the umbrella within inches of your subject, and that can produce some really awsome illimination effects with long graduated shadows and "wrap-around" light and rapid linear light falloff.

This shot was done shooting through an umbrella rather than bouncing or using a softbox, because I specifically wanted more dramatic falloff on the underside of the model. I also needed the light source fairly close to her face so her face would be brigher than her body that is just a foot lower. It could have done that with a smaller softbox, but that would have created more falloff from the head toward the feet. A strip-dome would have been ideal, but I don't have one of those.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.19.221

Thanks for the help. I think you answered many other related questions that I have as well.

I've been debating on whether or not to get a octabox. One of the reasons I am looking for one is that I prefer a dark background and well lit model. Looking at your example, you are able to accomplish this with a translucent umbrella.

Since I am working in a small space, I want the light to fall off quickly and not illuminate the background. Yet I still need to have a light source far enough from the model to not have the equipment in the frame of full body shots. Again, your example shows that this can be done with an umbrella and a softbox is not required.

Thanks again for the help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35847

jmmmes96 is offline IP: 24.151.70.209

Well the TU (the poor man's softbox) is a great tool. They like all modifyers have their place in photography. It depends on what you need for your images.

I beg to differ with RBP in that you should just continue to do 'trial and error'. The reason is that their are so many issues related around light and how to use you camera and lens with it.

For example, Your background is too light or bright, and you want to darken it. How do you go about doing that with Box, strobe or TU? Do you increase power? Do you move the model further away? what f-stop do you use?

Well, these are just a small issues that you would want to know and would not know to even try this on a 'trial-and-error' basis.

Studying photography is not studying just 'rules' is much, much more than that. Its knowing how to use light (any light) to you advantage to create great work.

My recommendation, keep you setup simple, know every aspect of you equipment and keep studying in and out of the studio.

Good luck the your TU, by itself it can be a magical tool.

Regards,
Mark

P.S. the answer to my question is:

To darken a background, you move the model further from the back, move the softbox/TU close to the model and add one or two stops of light on the model.

The next question is why?-)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jmmmes96 Visit jmmmes96's homepage! Find More Posts by jmmmes96