Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Alien Bees
Old 01-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35548
Comments: 0

mvpphoto is offline IP: 65.205.152.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Has anyone used Alien Bees lighting and what were your thoughts on them.

Joe

View Public Profile Send a private message to mvpphoto Visit mvpphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by mvpphoto

Re: Alien Bees
Old 01-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 152.163.189.166

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have never used them, but I have seen a number of photos posted by Marc Grant, who regularly post here, and has a number posted over at photosig.com uses them quite a bit.

you can't argue with the results he gets.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

My take on the Alien Bees
Old 01-30-2003, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

A friend of mine just got some. Here are the important items I noted on them. The casing is very plastic. Feels cheap. I use Dyna-lite UNI400Jr and their case is made of metal. The Alien Bees power goes down to 1/32 with full variable in between. If you get used to setting your lights up in the same exact spot each time, you would not be able to get the light set at the proper setting (exactly) since its full variable instead of click stops. The lights are monolights and have the ability to have a remote control between all the lights so they can be controlled from a central location. Imagine a hair light, 9' in the air and the only way you can change modify the intensity of the light was to get up on a ladder. Now you would be able to modify the lights with a wired remote instead. The images I have seen from them were well lite and consistant on the output.

For what its worth, I don't consider myself an expert on light quality (at all). Just an opinion...

Love my Bees
Old 01-31-2003, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.195

I consider the Bees I bought the best value for the buck -- quality craftsmanship, consistent and reliable output, compatible with White Lightning and Balcar accessories.

The light weight is a bonus, not a detraction. The lights are easily portable, making location shooting much more convenient for those of us without assistants.

While I can see Hack's point about the power adjustments, I don't see that as a huge issue. You should always "measure twice and cut once" when shooting anyway. Different room sizes, walls, sets will require modifications. And if you really insist on shooting the same way every time, you could always tape down the adjustment slides.

View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Question #2
Old 01-31-2003, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35548

mvpphoto is offline IP: 65.205.152.98

Thanks for all the information, but I still have another question. Acording to the Alien Bees site FAQ, they say that the pre flash on the D30 will cause problems with ANY manual lighting system. Would this also apply to the D60 as well and couldn't you just adjust the exposure by using a flash meter?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mvpphoto Visit mvpphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by mvpphoto

Answers to both questions....
Old 01-31-2003, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35283

jstensberg is offline IP: 65.28.223.9

I have an Alien Bee, for the money, they are a good entry level unit. In fact, you may find you won't need to upgrade.

I would get a hot-shoe style PC connection and fire the strobes that way. I do the same with my N80, Bronice M/F and D100. You can use the camera flash, but why drain your batteries?

If you have my questions, please let me know.

Joel
Joel Stensberg Photography
Appleton, WI
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jstensberg Visit jstensberg's homepage! Find More Posts by jstensberg

glad that you posted this
Old 02-01-2003, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35488

medic319 is offline IP: 63.188.169.55

I am considering a set of bees right now. I have heard very few bad things aboout them, and that is usually about their plastic housing. I think I may be able to work them into the budget next month. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to medic319 Find More Posts by medic319

Preflash
Old 02-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

While what you said is correct, it is not advisable to use your on camera flash to trigger your alien bees. First off, the light on your flash will alter the lighting setup from your bees (unless you covered the flash somehow). Basically what it is telling you is that you need some way to trigger the flash. Most likely the bees come with a PC sync cord that you connect to one of the bees then to your D60. The other bees would then be set to fire when the main light (the one with the cord) flashes. So the D60 preflash would have no bearing on the shot since the on camera flash wouldn't be used. If the sync cord gets annoying, you can then go to a wireless system like the Pocket Wizards or the Quantum Freewire. Lastly, don't buy a lighting system without a flash meter unless you know how to read your D60 histogram really well.

I recently played with them
Old 02-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.137

.....and I was not totally comfortable with them. Unless there is a trick there was no individual modeling light adjustment as I varied the power output and one design I needed a very small light output but could not see my subject because of this feature or non feature.

Unless I just did not fully understand them to operate them, this experience has turned me off on alien bees.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: Alien Bees...
Old 02-02-2003, 02:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 64.108.76.23

I have an Alien Bee 800 and love it. Let me respond to a few comments in other posts...

Yes, the case is plastic, GE's Lexan plastic to be precise. The same plastic they make cops
portable radios out of. It's tough and doesn't dent or scratch easily. It's also light.

The Bee's come with a built in fan. Unless you're shooting continuously for long periods it's hard to stress them.

Regarding the non-step adjustment. Yep, no easy click stops there, but no having to move the light back
or forth to get that last 1/2 stop adjustment either.

I'm not sure I fully understand JT's comment about the modeling light. It either tracks the flash output, or is on full blast.
So if you want a separately adjustable modeling light, the Bee is probably not your best bet.

The Bee's are upgradeable. You can start low (and cheap) and as you build up a need for more power, send 'em back within 2 years of
purchase and they'll change out the parts to increase the power level and put on a new case (if you want!) for only the difference in the initial cost and $25. Hellava deal if you ask me. By the way, check out the price of a replacement flash tube. Won't cost you an arm and a leg to have a spare around.

For the bucks, Bee's are hard to beat. Call 'em up and ask about package deals. And they are deals, the accessories they put in
the packages are good stuff. They are easily portable, work well, have great service and people who have them won't part
with them. Go to eBay, do a search on the major studio strobe brands brands and see whose units are getting sold. I been checking
for a long time and I've seen lots of the "big" guys stuff, I've never seen a Bee... I assume it's because guy's with them know what a deal
they are and won't let them go. Finally, buy a Bee, and if you don't like it, send it back in 60 days for a refund (less shipping.)

And no, I don't a piece of the company or handle their advertising, or anything else. I just like their product.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak