Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Extensis portfolio and canon raw
Old 03-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41951
Comments: 0

Gerhardus is offline IP: 68.79.31.51

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am currently trying out Extensis portfolio as I am figuring out a good work flow. I really like the program it's fantastic, very easy to use and has more features than I ever would have thought to add. I have had one real problem though and was wondering if anyone else had run into the same.
I use Digital Photo Professional from canon to work on my raw images, I find it does a good job, and was extremely happy to see it free for download when I went to update the software I got with my rebel, why they gave me Zoombrowser I'll never know. Anyway, I have a set of images that I corrected the white balance on in DPP and when I pull up the images in Portfolio they aren't corrected. I have tried a couple different things, saving the recipe to the image in DPP and updating in EP, turning off the feature in EP that uses the already created jpgs for thumbnails thus making it produce it's own, and regenerating the thumb. In all attempts the image remained the green that I corrected in DPP.
It seems so odd to me because when I open the images in DPP they are corrected, it's not as though I have to go through and fix them again. Does this mean that canon just has it save a tag of some sort to the file instead of canging the info within the actual raw? It's just getting to be a little frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gerhardus Visit Gerhardus's homepage! Find More Posts by Gerhardus

Re: Extensis portfolio and canon raw
Old 03-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After reading your post, I went to canons site to look for DPP, and this paragraph is on the download page.

[ QUOTE ]
The current version, DPP v1.0, can view, edit and process RAW images as well as JPEG files from EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds and EOS-1D Mark II cameras only.
Future support for the EOS 10D and EOS Digital Rebel is planned although the release schedule is not yet available.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, but thought I'd let you see it in case you haven't.

RonC DRebel shooter
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36935

BhamPhoto is offline IP: 209.192.43.206

I've never seen Extensis so this is total speculation.

are you processing your images to a jpg or tiff? then opening them in the Extensis? if you are opening the raw files they will not be corrected. raw converters don't actually change the raw image. they allow you to edit it and then processes the image to another file type.

Sorry if you know all this and I am being redundant.

Good luck,
Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BhamPhoto Find More Posts by BhamPhoto

Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

When you do a RAW conversion in most all converters other than ACR (the one in PS CS), it saves a seperate converted file with either a JPG, TIF, or other extension. The RAW file is not changed although **** data in it may be. The RAW file will thus appear to Extensis or most other browsers just as it did before.
On the other hand, the browser inside of ACR lets you apply a selected RAW conversion template to selected images in a folder. When you then view them in the browser it shows you what they will look like converted. Then if you open them into Photoshop it applies the RAW conversion on the fly based on the applied template.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39424

TheSecretWorld is offline IP: 24.88.26.204

When working in DPP or ANY raw converter any changes that you make to the raw files are NOT saved in the raw files. Rather the converter saves the changes in an external file so that every time you reopen the converter the thumbs displayed will show the corrected image. BUT, when you open the files for viewing in Portfolio, it uses a different storage method and thus your problem. This is true of EVERY converter out there. You must make your changes, make the conversion to TIFF then every program that can open the TIFF will show the updated files. You must also make sure that whatever program that you are using for viewing and archival uses the system ICC profiles and embedded profing ICC profiles to ensure correct viewing on your monitor.

View Public Profile Send a private message to TheSecretWorld Visit TheSecretWorld's homepage! Find More Posts by TheSecretWorld

Old 03-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38708

NavajoCoast is offline IP: 69.167.115.135

I have similar problems with RAW images between PS CS and EP. PS CS RAW plug-in knows how the image is rotated and previews RAW images based on exposure settings. EP seems oblivious to this. I have to manually select which thumnail images needs rotating even though PS CS knows.

EP is just a cataloging program.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NavajoCoast Visit NavajoCoast's homepage! Find More Posts by NavajoCoast

Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.153.152

I went to an adobe thing in Boston several months ago ....the gal from adobe said that there are some issues between the two programs... something to do with XML or something beginning with X...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 03-11-2005, 12:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38861
Send a message via AIM to aknudsen Send a message via MSN to aknudsen Send a message via Skype™ to aknudsen

aknudsen is offline IP: 68.114.114.37

You're probably talking about the new XMP standard for the storing of text based metadata.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to aknudsen Visit aknudsen's homepage! Find More Posts by aknudsen