Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
black & white films and hardening fixers question
Old 03-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.213.105

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys, I was just wondering what are some thoughts about hardening fixers for developing black & white film? I know TMAX has a built-in hardener, and Ilford recommends to not use a hardening fixer on their films. What about something like Tri-X? Kodak's recommendations for film development lists hardening fixers (all Kodak, of course).

I guess it would depend on what developer I use. The directions for Photo Formulary's WD2D+, for example -- a pyro developer -- states not to use a hardening fixer because the emulsion is hardened during development.

What about developing Tri-X in something like D-76? Should I go with a hardening fixer like Kodak says, or just use what I currently have (Photo Formulary's TF-4, a non-hardening rapid fixer)?

Some other developers I currently have don't say a thing about what type of fixer to use. It's getting confusing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Somebody help me make scratch-resistant negatives?

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: black & white films and hardening fixers question
Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unless a developer specifically states otherwise, I would almost always use a hardening fixer on negatives. The only exception would be if I were going to intensify/reduce them or have retouching work done. After intensification or reduction I would re-fix them in a hardening fixer. Depending on how they were retouched, I'd re-fix them in hardening fixer as well. Talk to the retouching lab about final fixing before you have anything done.

It's not that you _can't_ use a hardening fixer with pyro, just that you shouldn't. The reason you shouldn't use a hardening fixer is because it inhibits the formation of the stain during the second pass through the developer, weakening the reason you might have chosen to use pyro in the first place.

Basically, if you're going to do anything to the negative after fixing you shouldn't initially use a hardening fixer. After you finish whatever it is you're doing, you should use a hardening fixer to protect the neg. Note to the preceeding, I don't know if there's any advantage to re-fixing a pyro-developed negative after the final wash.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody help me make scratch-resistant negatives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lord, how I wish ... lol

The poster prior to this one covered it all clearly, but trust me negs will scratch even with the greatest of care. Nature of the beast, sadly -- especially since the hardener affects strictly the emulsion side of the film and not the plastic back. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 03-08-2005, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.228.4

I've never done any intensifying, reducing, or retouching on a negative, and I probably won't be anytime soon, so it looks like I need to get me a good hardening fixer to use alongside my TF-4 (for pyro negs).

As for pyro, I need to learn more about it as a developer. I currently only know about this particular pyro developer (WD2D+), and I hear "The Book of Pyro" by Gordon Hutchings is the quintessential book on pyro. I'll have to pick me up a copy.

Thanks for your help!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 03-08-2005, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.228.4

[ QUOTE ]
...trust me negs will scratch even with the greatest of care.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know all too well. While I was in school I developed some negs I had really high hopes for, and one image in particular that would have looked great had a nice long scratch across the whole thing. Of course, we were also told, after all processing was done, to put the film between our fingers and run them down the film, using our fingers as a squeegee to help it dry quicker.

I don't do that anymore. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

Old 03-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you do scratch a neg, try Edwal No-Scratch. It's a liquid oil-like substance that you apply to both sides of the negative before enlargement. The oil has a refractive index similar to acetate film-bases and it eliminates or reduces the appearance of the scratch in your print. When you're done, use a film cleaner and negative-safe wipe to remove the stuff.

Another tip for you. If your negative comes out a little flat, you can get results similar to N+1 development (expansion of negative densities above zone VI) by agitating your negatives in selenium toner diluted 1:2 or 1:3 for about five minutes. It's basically an intensification process, but it only affects the high values. As a side benefit, it doesn't increase the appearance of grain like N+1 development normally does. You can use this technique in combination with N+1 development to get N+2 development with todays modern thin-emulsion films.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 03-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.193.178

Oh yeah, I think I've heard of No-Scratch. I'll have to get some and try it out with some of my old negs.

I didn't know about the little selenium toner trick to intensify the high values. That's a pretty cool little trick. I'll be printing out your reply and taping it to my darkroom wall. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Sam

Old 03-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you don't have a copy already, pick up Ansel Adams' "The Negative". It is the definitive book on the zone system, and covers various developers, image intensification and reduction, etc. He covers the selenium toner subject very well.

-Chip

Old 03-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.97.226

As a guy who has shot Plus X and Tri X since they first came onto the market and still consider them to be my B&W film of choice, absolutely use a hardening fixer. Their emulsions are old technology and are SOFT, very soft. there are some better than Rapid Fix though, pick up most any other hardening fixer by Kodak, they all work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.193.178

Nope, as much as I've become totally fascinated with the zone system, I still don't have a copy of "The Negative" yet. As soon as I can scrounge up a little cash...

Sam