Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Driving me crazy and ruining my life
Old 03-04-2005, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.69.218

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK... I'm somewhat exagerating.

The problem is the difference in lightnes/darkness bewteen what an image looks like in my image editor, what it looks like on my monitor when I make an image he desktop wallpaper, and what that same image looks like in a web browser.

Specific example.

When I view someone's image here on a GG forum page, it looks to be at a certain brightness.

If I right click and make that image a desktop wallpaper and go look at it, OR open it up in my image editor, all of a sudden it is far FAR brighter, with far FAR more details in the shadow area, than it appears when viewed within ANY web browser - i"ve tried this with IE, Netscrape, AND Mozilla, and they all have the same deal.

When I edit an image for posting here, I tweak the levels very carefully to achieve exactly what I want.

I make it my desktop wallpaper to double check it.

I post it here, and suddenly, it's WAY too dark, and the majority of the finer shadow detail is lost in a sea of black.

If I re-edit the image to display the way I want from within a GG post, then when viewed within my editor, it's way too light and washed out.

This is really really pissing me off!!!

Help?!?!

Image below is exactly where I want it light/dark wise in my editor... I just bet it's now going to look far too dark here.

Re: Driving me crazy and ruining my life
Old 03-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

Member GG#: 40409
Comments: 0

BillBrittain is offline IP: 68.67.210.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a color management issue, but I'm afraid I can't help you since I'm on a Mac. It can be resolved, though, and I leave it to the Windows users to hash through...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BillBrittain Visit BillBrittain's homepage! Find More Posts by BillBrittain

Old 03-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.105.169

If you're using Photoshop as your image editor, your display is being color managed by the software. Most browsers are not color managed, so the same photo will look very different. To see what your photo will look like in a Mac browser or Windows browser, select View | Soft Proof and choose Mac RGB or Windows RGB. Note that the Windows RGB is much darker than the Mac RGB. To get an idea what your photo will look like when printed, choose "Custom" from the Soft Proof submenu and choose your printer. Monitors have a dymanic range (white to black) of about 1:750 to 1:2000. Printers have a dynamic range around 1:50 to 1:100. Photoshop's soft proof attempts to simulate the gamut and dynamic range of your monitor or printer selection on your screen. Also see another thread on "Color Space" in this forum. --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake

Old 03-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

I was thinking that my earlier post was a little short. Sorry, there was a tiny little person screaming in my ear, and I wasn't thinking very clearly.

The meds must have kicked in, because I can no longer hear her. Either that or her mother took her shopping. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What I meant to say was, it appears that you're using Windows since on the Mac color management is handled by the OS, therefore we see similar results across applications. I know that there are color management solutions for the Windows OS, but I'm not familiar with them.

As was already mentioned, PS will soft proof images so you can see how they'll look viewed on the other platform. As for seeing different colors when viewed in different programs (i.e. browsers vs. PS vs. you desktop), that is where color management would come into play. The various applications need to be capable of reading the profile your file is using, if any.

When making images for the web, I save them in sRGB, which is a color space that I know plays well with Windows. As a Mac user, I worry all the time about the light/dark difference, called gamma, across the platforms, and I try to view the image as adjusted for both, just strking a balance. Of course I wish everyone could see an image the way it looks on my monitor, but there's no answer for that one.

Here's a good example. Looks great to me, but YMMV:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BillBrittain Visit BillBrittain's homepage! Find More Posts by BillBrittain

Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38990

ragpix is offline IP: 68.236.57.58

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of downloading to my box and pulled it in photoshop CS. It opened as adobe color space. It looked the same as on the net. The histogram showed heavy weight to shadow side and a flatliner across mid tones and highlights. I leveled it to a small blip in the line and your highlites showed up. Changed color space to Srgb and saved it for the web in Image ready.

Looks nice. Your highlites are back. What do you see?

I don't know if this helps you. What image editor are you using? What jpg compression software are you using?

michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ragpix Visit ragpix's homepage! Find More Posts by ragpix

Old 03-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Kurt

I think Micheal (ragpix) hit it. If you're working in the Adobe color space, then only your editing software is set to view it properly. The web and most devices are set for sRGB and the Adobe space will look like crapola. Use the "save for web" settings on Photoshop which, among other things, will convert the color space.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 03-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 24.206.226.249

OK this is totally off top, but Bill what are you using for floor in that picture?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 03-05-2005, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Bill Brittain

That's black seamless paper, with a sheet of clear lexan (plexiglass works too) on the floor. I noticed Mike Dean doing this at Rolando's last Philly workshop, which was held in Mike's Studio. Here's the same sheet of plastic over white paper:

Re: Oh...
Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 4.60.101.212

from the title I thought this was gonna be about a wife...

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD