Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lighting stuff is sooooo, ICKY!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42400
Comments: 0

MartinaSmith is offline IP: 65.96.216.27

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am so confused!
When someone says a reflector is on the models left at 45 degree angle to the model.
Does this mean the reflector is angled AT the model on a 45 degree tilt?
Or is the reflector 45 degrees from the models center?
Or is the actual reflector 45 degrees from where the camera is?
This stuff is confusing as heck!
And how do you know exactly where the heck 45 degrees is from whatever point ?

Marty

View Public Profile Send a private message to MartinaSmith Find More Posts by MartinaSmith

Re: Lighting stuff is sooooo, ICKY!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 151.203.215.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

M,

Suggest you stop by a bookstore or library and check out a book on lighting. The basics of lighting are the same now as years ago, so the book doesn't have to be the newest one published.
When you see a diagram, it will make MUCH more sense. Start with a line from the model to the camera. Other lighting will reference this, ie. a main light at a 45 degree angle means a light coming from that angle to the right (or left) of the camera. This 'main' light may be one of several types, for portraits, usually a large light source like a soft-box or umbrella will likely be used, though there are lots of variations. Then you will often use a 'fill' light to reduce harsh shadows from the main light. Next, add in a hair light and another for the background and you are getting somewhere.

Sound confusing? That's why you want to check out a book, or even this link to one of several info articles on THIS web site.
http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/light.php

Also, look closely at the photos you see on this site and try to figure out what the light set-up was. Pay particular attention to the catch lights in the eyes. You can often see where and what kind of lighting was used.

Sorry the answer is so long -- again, pick up a book on lighting. It won't take long for you to understand the lighting effect that the photographer is trying to make. Good luck.

Tom

View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42400

MartinaSmith is offline IP: 65.96.216.27

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thank you very much.

Marty

View Public Profile Send a private message to MartinaSmith Find More Posts by MartinaSmith

Old 03-03-2005, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 24.176.177.237

The tips section has some good diagrams that will get you a basic idea. They can help a lot. Once you can kind of figure out what they are telling you, a good book is in order. For the book, I'd recommend going into a good sized book store and looking at what they have on lighting. Find something with good diagrams and text that makes sense to you. Some authors write in a way that I can understand and others don't, so reading a bit before buying is always a good idea.

If I can find the book I really liked, I'll come back and post the exact title, but I think it's something like Painting with Light. Nice diagrams and, for me, relatively clear text.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 03-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.203.184

Hmm... now you got me confused. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But similar to what Tom said about a main light, I believe the reflector in your case would be 45 degrees right of the camera -- right of the camera, left of the model.

I've never really measured it out before. I just eyeball it. But if you REALLY wanna know where exactly 45 degrees is relative to a certain point, you'd have to do a little trigonometry, and, well, I suck a math. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Don't know if this was helpful at all, but that's all I got. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck on your matchematic pursuits! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39673
Send a message via ICQ to Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy is offline IP: 149.160.27.113

I was under the impression that when it said 45 degerees it was telling me the temperature.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hoosier_Daddy Visit Hoosier_Daddy's homepage! Find More Posts by Hoosier_Daddy

Old 03-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 151.201.13.188

Martina -

I think the usual convention is this:

.----------------------------------- background
................Model
.....................+
.....................+
.....................+
.....................+
.....45'..........+...........45'
.....................+
.....................+
.....................+
............photographer

(Sorry for all the periods, but the system here doesn't seem to like empty spaces. Likewise, the angles look OK when I enter them, but seem to be wrong in the post - the text sizes change. Again, sorry.)
in other words, an imaginary line between the model and the photographer (actually, between the model and the camera) is taken as the central axis, and angles are specified relative to that line. The lights are USUALLY pointed at the model.

Fill, key, hairlight, background - those terms describe the purposes of the light.

I, too, recommend you pick up a reference book or two to learn the lingo - not that I really know it myself. However, a couple of afternoons reading at Borders will probably suffice. And, as others have said, you can learn a lot by carefully reading the Tips section here.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.147.33

Martina:

The previous advice is all good, but the next time you have a tfp photoshoot ask the photographer which is the main light, fill light and why he does or doesn't use a reflector.

The library is also a good place to look without having to buy. Also look at the shadows in the image and you can tell where the light was coming from.

Hope this helps a little.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40662
Send a message via MSN to PaoloM Send a message via Yahoo to PaoloM

PaoloM is offline IP: 193.111.46.11

The angle is always between the camera and the light....always...

Kiss

Paolo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PaoloM Visit PaoloM's homepage! Find More Posts by PaoloM

Old 03-04-2005, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38249
Send a message via AIM to screamtherapy

screamtherapy is offline IP: 70.33.145.229

There is a lot of good stuff here on GG for diagrams and info already in the forums on this general subject. To really get it you just need to play around with it and waste a lot of pictrues till you find something that works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Of course a good book can always help.

Lucas
  View Public Profile Send a private message to screamtherapy Find More Posts by screamtherapy