Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color Space
Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38868
Comments: 0

darrellp is offline IP: 24.22.130.159

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Which color space do you use in camera, sRGB or Adobe RGB? And what are the pro's and con's of each? I have a Canon 10D and use Photoshop CS.
Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Best Regards,
Darrell
  View Public Profile Send a private message to darrellp Visit darrellp's homepage! Find More Posts by darrellp

Re: Color Space
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.214.88.188

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Are you primarily shooting for the web or with the intention to go to press.

I tend to shoot in Adobe RGB to capture a larger gamut and convert to sRGB for web use.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38868

darrellp is offline IP: 24.22.130.159

I am printing images on an Epson Stylus Photo 1280, and posting to the web on occasion.
Best Regards,
Darrell
  View Public Profile Send a private message to darrellp Visit darrellp's homepage! Find More Posts by darrellp

Old 02-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.214.88.188

In your case it would probably be better to shoot in Adobe RGB, work and print in that space and convert to sRGB for web.

Read this article. . .
Old 02-24-2005, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.161

http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html
Three things jump out at me from this piece:
FACT ONE: there are NO printers with a color space (aka output space) that is larger (holding more volume of data) than sRGB.
FACT TWO: Just about all portrait labs want you to to send them files that are in the sRGB color space for printing.
FACT THREE: The gamut, or color space of your monitor is very close to the sRGB space, and there are NO monitors (yet) that can accurately reproduce the colors that are beyond the sRGB boundary - yet still inside the Adobe RGB boundary.¬*
And: "Every time you convert your data - you lose some data and distort more."
Read the article carefully and decide for yourself but we in our studio start with sRGB, work in sRGB and END in sRGB. No conversions. No memory lapses.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: Read this article. . .
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

Didn't know about #3 but I agree about #'s 1 & 2.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
CAMartino

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.110.104.210

From everything I've read and from my client response sRGB is a better space than Adobe for all of the reasons mention. But of course if you like spending time on the computer tweeking your images to look like they are sRGB,,, knock yourself out..

BTW there is a recent article in shutterbug or one of those mags that discusses this and comes to the same conclusions posted here...

Old 02-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.228.53

I shoot primarily for publication, and all the pro shooters I know who do that shoot in Adobe because of its wider gamut. Never mind that you can't see the difference if you open the files in PS. PS is a color-managed space. Everything will look good in PS. When you get to a non-color-managed space, like a browser, you need to make sure you use the lowest common denominator color settings, which means sRGB. If you shoot Adobe 1998, and convert the mode to sRFB, you will lose color gamut that you cannot get back if you reconvert back to Adobe, similar to losing image date if you shoot (or convert to JPG) from some other format. Once gone, you can't get it back. So why not start with the most information possible, if you think you're ever going to need it? Of course there is that extra step of doing the mode-change to sRGB before you save a version for the web, but how long does that take? Yes its a pain to remember, and I'm as guilty of forgetting as the next guy, but one quick look at an Adobe 1998 image in a browser will remind you. When that happens, I just open them up, do a mode change and re-save the JPG. Usually it doesn't seem to affect the quality. Here'a couple samples of images (calendar is digital copy) shot in Adobe 1998, before and after conversion to sRGB. If you save and open these images in PS, they will look the same. But in browser, the difference should be obvious.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Read this article. . .
Old 02-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.105.169

When shooting JPGs, I shoot Adobe RGB because of the wider gamut. (For critical work I shoot RAW and convert them to the DNG format for storage.) I don't know about the gamut of all of the desktop printers/inks available TODAY or what the labs want TODAY, but I plan for my photos to be around for more than just TODAY. I also buy Lexar "WA" CF cards, even though the camera I use TODAY doesn't use the "Write Acceleration" feature. (All it would take is one firmware upgrade to make non-WA cards "old, slow technology.") The choices I make today are with an eye to the future. Yeah, it may cost a couple of bucks more for higher-quality CF cards, but it doesn't cost a dime more to set the camera to capture a wider gamut. --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake

Re: Color Space, revisited
Old 03-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.105.169

This is a fairly old thread, but I just found the following color space diagram for the Epson 2200 printer. Note that the gamut of this printer exceeds sRGB (white box), but is almost completely contained within Adobe RGB (black box). If you set your camera to capture sRGB, you will lose all the color information outside the white box, including the deep blue and green colors that could have been printed if the camera had been set at Adobe RGB.

Dry Creek Photo has an excellent tutorial on color spaces. They also have downloadable ICC profiles for most of the commercial digital printers at Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake