Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Speedrings ...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just bought a large softbox, the DynaPhos DPS-1497 from Amvona ( http://tinyurl.com/42v44 ). This is a extra large softbox (48" x 36") which I got for $80 and it came with inner and outer baffles, Louvers mask, and other accessories. It did not come with a speedring, however. Apparently you use the one that is made for the flash you use. Does anyone know of a good universal speedring that can be used for a variety of flash heads (something that would have adjustable screws for various head widths). To work with the softbox the speedring would need 4 recesses to plug in the four support rods (about 3/8") in size. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Speedrings ...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 216.61.43.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Roger,

I'll let you be the guinea pig and try it out, if you want. You can even bring it by the studio and we'll try it on my Buff Ultras and the Novatrons...

Universal Speed Ring on Ebay
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 02-11-2005, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.206.139

You kind of have it backwards. The speed rings are specific to the heads, and they universally hold the softbox since they all have the four poles that need to go into the holes on the speedring. Usually when you rent a softbox from a pro house, they ask you what system you have and give you the appropriate speedring. The "universal" one on Wayne's link (that doesn't work BTW) to ebay looks a bit sketchy to me, I'd pop for the one that works on your lamphead. BTW, your 36"x48" "extra large" softbox is really a "medium" according to Chimera, just in case they charged you more for "extra large".

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 02-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.255

but that medium chimera would cost how many hundreds of dollars? (versus 80 bucks for the amvona softbox.) not discounting the quality of chimera's products, but stuff like softboxes are simply some fabric and some structural pieces.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Be carefull with the "universal" speed rings. Most of the ones I've seen - like the ebay model linked previously - mount to the lights by some sort of rubber-tipped screw being applied to the shell of the light. The maximum diameter is frequently 5" or less. I have old White Lightnings, 7" in diameter. A number of older units are too large to mount via that "universal" ring.

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 02-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

I wasn't sure what to call it. I suppose connector is another possible word to describe the item. Essentially, what I'm talking about has to have at least 4 holes to plug the rods into. The reasons I wanted a "universal" is that my Novatron heads are in two sizes, bare head needs about 4 1/4" clearance and the larger heads need 7". Then the Alien Bees, or white lightings need another diameter. The softboxes I have now I bought over 30 years ago (Larsen) and I just mounted the softbox on a light stand, then clamped the light head on right up against the opening in the softbox, and that worked just fine.
Price wise, these DynaPhos boxes are very inexpensive, but have high quaility fabric. The $80 one I bought came with lots of extra accessories as you can see in the link I provided to the Amvona site. I priced Chimera and several other units of similar size, and was looking at $300 or so for the same kit.
By the way, the Amvona have now responded to my query and they recommend one from Calumet ( http://tinyurl.com/4fges - very slow link {20-30 sec} ). Curiously, Calumet calls it a "speed ring" so I am still confused on the terminology.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

Or you could buy a Plume Wafer for about $500. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think the "speed" part of it comes from the fact you can rotate the SB w/o removing it and remounting it.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Old 02-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
I think the "speed" part of it comes from the fact you can rotate the SB w/o removing it and remounting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense! But the one that Calumet ( http://tinyurl.com/4fges ) is calling a "speed ring" is then not a speed ring or the term "speed ring" is really fairly generic and refers to all sorts of mounts that are used to mount a head to a softbox and/or light stand.

So much for the curious world of terminolgy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By the way, I just bought a Photoflex "speed ring", but they call it a StrobeConnector.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.228.53

The generic term for it is speedring. I don't know why [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I think it has to do with it being a universal system for using the same set of softboxes on many different kinds of strobes. One problem I see with that one on Ebay is that it will either not be too secure, and fall off the first time someone bumps the softbox, or it will apply too much pressure to the lamphead housing and possibly crush it. Also, your Calument link doesn't work because the Calumet site doesn't remember where its supposed to go.

BTW, I recently bought a set of used White Lightnings, which have their own speedrings, with 8 holes for softbox rod insertion. I'm going to drill out 4 of them to accomodate the larger diamter rods of my older softboxes.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 02-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

I was able to find a ring at the local camera store. It was a Photoflex StrobeConnector and it worked just fine. One neat thing about the DynaPhos box I bought on ebay is that the rods have different sized ends. That is to say that one end of each rod is one size, and the end on the other is a smaller size, so likely they will fit any "speedring". In this case I used the larger end. They fit exactly and its a nice tight fit. I've played around with it today and it seems very secure. I found that I can put the bare tube Novatron head right through the ring and it works just right. The large Novatron head works, but I have to put it in through the front of the softbox which leaves the smaller part of it going through the ring to the outside. Works just fine.
I also tried hot lights with it. The specs show it will allow up to 2000 watts of hot lights. It worked fine that way also. It has vents on each side that you can open partially or all the way, so heat build up is no problem. I'm quite impressed with the unit, especially considering a price of $80. And since it came with Louvers and a strip mask and circle mask and inner and outer baffle it was an extra good bargain. Now I'm anxious to do a little glamour work with them and see how they work in the read world.
Thanks for your comments.
Cheers,
rfs