Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Digital Prints come out too dark! What the heck?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014
Comments: 0

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.98.68.188

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, I admit it, I'm new to getting good digital prints. I had some prints made today from digital files at Sam's Club. They print them on the Fuji machine in the back. I spent a lot of time getting the photos to look right in Photoshop, especially the brightness.

So, when I get the prints, they are too dark. It almost looks like the Fuji machine (or something) did some kind of auto-correction to the levels in the photos.

What am I missing? Should I be using some other place for prints? Should I be asking Sam's to turn some kind of auto-processing off when they do the prints?

BTW- the prints look fine if I do them on my Canon S900 at home; however, I can't deliver inkjet prints.

This is really frustrating. Arg!

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Re: Digital Prints come out too dark! What the heck?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39142

Kumod is offline IP: 216.54.200.77

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First of all let me say I am no expert here so take this for what its worth. Your probably seeing differences in what you print at home and what you get at Sam's club from the ICC profiles being different. I'm not sure what the profile on the Fuji printer is and hopefully someone with more knowledge then me can shed some light on this. I would think that in order to get a good print on the Fuji printer you'd need to be using there ICC profile. I found this page that has some information on Fuji profiles that might assist you Info
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kumod Find More Posts by Kumod

Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39226

tlatimer is offline IP: 68.200.102.249

Tell them not to lab manage the file. They are probably using a fuji frontier machine, which is a damn fine machine. But they will lab manage, or change the color on all files unless you tell them not to. You might find that a pro lab in your area, or an online lab like Buckeye may be cheaper. I was surprised by the price difference myself. Any good lab will give you the specs them need for printing. Beyond that make sure your monitor is color corrected.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tlatimer Visit tlatimer's homepage! Find More Posts by tlatimer

Old 02-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

We need alot more information to really help you. Is your workflow color managed? Probably the most important thing to do is get your monitor calibrated. I try to do mine at least once a month. Then find out what file format the Sam's in your area preferes to print from. I use Buckeye in Ohio and they prefer SRGB. Let us know what you are doing and maybe we can help.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 02-09-2005, 04:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.0.124

Hi neighbor,
First off, I think someone nailed it when they said they might be doing corrections thru the machine. I have to remind the ladies there when I drop off stuff to NOT correct anything.
Now something I don't think has been mentioned is the dynamic color range between ink jets and the big boys. The two don't actually compare well. Ink jets give much crisper colors and will look much dynamic. You can read much more about color and ICC profiles here Dry Creek They do a great job of explaining the who and why of color and printing.

I did have one question about your workflow in Photoshop. Do you gamut proof your photos? If you know where I am going then just skip this paragraph. Meaning, there is a selection in photoshop to show you what areas will not print correctly. Once you have a photo ready to print, go to view, gamut warning, and click it. Any areas that will not print correctly will have grey on it. The easiest way to correct this is simply to convert your photo from whatever format you have it in to CMYK, and then back to your original format. It assures you that all of your colors are within the printing boundries of the CMYK colors and then your prints should come out closer to what you see on the screen. I do notice that some images seem to get a bit darker when doing this step. If the image is to be used on the web and not printed out, then no need to go this extra step as the colors for the monitor are usually WYSIWYG.

I bet this will all come down to Sams messing with your work and screwing up the details. If the histogram looks good before saving the file, then it should look good out of the Fuji. If none of this helps, try printing the same image at two different Sams to check to see if one machine could be that far out of calibration.

Chris Graphic Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Good advice. I hadn't realized how important the color profiles were. That's what I love about photography, always something new to learn and try. I think the auto-corrections mode on the Fuji processor will end up being the main problem.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 02-09-2005, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I think this ends up being the problem. I'll find out this morning. The articles I read said that the Fuji Frontier 370 automatically goes into "no corrections" mode when files are presented digitially to it (as opposed to coming through the negative scanner); however, the head tech over there said I have to bring the files directly to them and specifically ask them to run it with "no corrections" mode.

Bummer, really. Samsclub.com just started taking files online and sending them to the local club for processing. It would have saved me a trip.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know about the gamut warning before. In this case, it shows the photo to be almost entirely in the "good" range (just a smudge in one place).

I think you are right about the problem being the auto-corrections on the Fuji Frontier 370. That's what it looks like, and one of the tech's confirmed last night that they have to explicitely tell the machine to run with "no corrections" when the files are loaded into the system.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36795

extreme is offline IP: 63.26.232.222

The Fuji Frontier printer has an 'Auto Enhance' button that is ALWAYS ON, unless the person printing your prints turns it off. It will typically increase contrast and sharpness and can mess with colors as well. Even with it off, I've found Fuji printers to print a little dark, regardless.
Tell the person printing to turn OFF the 'Auto Enhance' on all your prints.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to extreme Find More Posts by extreme

Results from Sams
Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Ok, so it turns out I have to bring the files directly to them and they have to load them directly on the machine in order to be able to turn Auto Enhance off. If files are sent through samsclub.com or through the Fuji kiosks at the store itself, the enhancements are done automatically and cannot be turned off for the job.

I dropped some prints off this way and they turned out much better.

Thanks for all the help.