Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.69.218

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Oh, first of all, thanks to everyone here who has kindly and patiently answered all of the various technical questions I've posed - you know who you are and I'm greatly appreciative...

Now...

AlienBees has a problem right now... they've been backordered on their beauty dish since Jan 1... and won't start shipping them out until it's too late for me to use for my big gig in a far away city... gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

So, I'm going to have to make do...

I'm disinclined at the moment to give them MORE money for a softbox which ALSO may not arrive in time for the gig EITHER...

So, I DO have a nice 7" silver reflector on hand that fits my bee.

Any suggestions on specific suitable safe fabric materials I can rig up for a home made diffusion device over my existing 7" reflector?

IE nice light.......... but won't catch fire?

lol...

Again, thanks in advance y'all...

Re: ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A long time ago, on a post far, far away - someone described how to make a softbox from foamcore, gaffer's tape, and ripstop nylon. You basically cut the foam core into rectangles and two trapazoids, tape it into a box, and cover with the nylon.

I have the text file description (called, I think, Tom's Homemade Softbox) on a computer at home. I'll sent it to you tonight. Most major fabric stores will carry some kind of lighweight white nylon for use a diffusion material. There's been some discussion of this concept at the large format forum and here as well. Apparently, Shutterbug had an article about it several years back. My text is from someone (Tom ?) who learned it from a video or movie guy.

You ought to also consider checking out Scott Smith's information - google Scott Smith lighting for the url. He's a great believer in lighting panels and discusses why and how. And, of course, you could look into the TinkerTube construction method - a url for that was posted here a while back. Or, you can find a link here, just search for "Tinker" on that page. Can't attest to the other info there.

Good luck
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 02-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.202

Feeling your pain but also noting the wait will be worth it. I got my Alien Bee beauty dish back in December and love it. Of course, I am not adversed to an all-expenses paid trip to the southwest to share the dish ... lol

Seriously though, hope it works out for you.

Dave

View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 02-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 4.15.114.203

How about a scrim or transluscent/transparent mode reflector on a stand or hanger in front of the light?

Maybe you can hang a very thin sheet from a c-stand in front of it...

This is, of course, assuming that you can transport one more stand (if it's the trip that you posted about earlier)...

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

The 'bees can use White Lightning and Balcar accessories and you can get softboxes anywhere so I'm confused by your problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Why don't you just wait until you have the money and either get the dish or a small SB instead of trying to jury rig something that won't give you very good light.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Wax Paper
Old 02-06-2005, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Design a frame and use Wax Paper that will soften the light. Works like a charm. You can also build your own soft box out of poster board.

You can point your light source into a reflector and bounce the light from it. No different then sun hitting the reflector, just use a flash head to do the same thing.

You can also buy a reflector disc with the translucent silk material used for a scrim and there are plenty of places that sell the panel material used for the larger type scrims.

Good luck.....

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 02-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35649

tat236 is offline IP: 208.218.191.186

Check out this sight lots of good stuff http://www.software-cinema.com/tinkertubes/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tat236 Visit tat236's homepage! Find More Posts by tat236

Old 02-07-2005, 03:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.0.124

Kurt,
I am not sure if this will help but I will run it by you anyway. I recently purchased a beauty dish from a company here in Atlanta. It is to fit the paterson interfit strobes. The attachment hole is slightly larger than the AB ring, so I made a smaller ring from drilling out aluminum to the right size. Then I used pop rivets to hold it on place. The good thing about it was the interfit beauty dish was less than $50. Showcase in Atlanta might be able to ship one up to you if you are handy with things of this sort. If you need a photo of it, I can post one for you. Email me here or off my site.

Chris Graphic Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 02-07-2005, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.0.124

Just so I know, what big city is this gig in? I do work for an airline and I too am not opposed to travel to share. You have girls, I have gear. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples