Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Help with RAW files and Sharpening please
Old 01-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
hgphoto

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.173.200.84

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I shot a few images with my Nikon D100 in RAW format (NEF) just to play with them in Photoshop CS.
Now when I save the filein CS, I can save in many formats TIFF, PSD, etc. but I noticed I cannot save them as a JPG. Is there any way I can convert a NEF file to jpg?

Also on Sharpening:
I have the option of setting up my D100 to several modes or degrees of sharpening or no sharpen at all.
Does it make any difference if I set it to no sharpen at all and do all my sharp'ng in Photoshop or is it recommended I do some kind of sharp'ng in camera?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Howard

Re: Help with RAW files and Sharpening please
Old 02-01-2005, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.221.148.210

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For converting the RAW file to a jpg, be sure your file is set to 8 bits/channel.

As for sharpening, hopefully someone with more knowledge about sharpening in camera vs. sharpening in post will answer, 'cause I honestly don't know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I would actually be interested in the answer, 'cause I have a D100, too. I'd think sharpening in post would give more control, though.

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

[ QUOTE ]
I shot a few images with my Nikon D100 in RAW format (NEF) just to play with them in Photoshop CS. Now when I save the filein CS, I can save in many formats TIFF, PSD, etc. but I noticed I cannot save them as a JPG. Is there any way I can convert a NEF file to jpg?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be able to SAVE AS a JPEG once you've imported the image into Photoshop. It's in the pulldown list, about half-way down the list. You can also SAVE FOR WEB and save it as a JPG, as well. JPG's saved this way will be smaller than a regular JPG.

You can also use Nikon View, which came with the D100, to convert the NEF file to JPEG, especially useful when you're converting a whole bunch of images in a batch file.

[ QUOTE ]
I have the option of setting up my D100 to several modes or degrees of sharpening or no sharpen at all. Does it make any difference if I set it to no sharpen at all and do all my sharp'ng in Photoshop or is it recommended I do some kind of sharp'ng in camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most folks (me included) think it looks better if you set the camera for no sharpening, and then add the sharpening either as a batch file in Nikon Capture (included with your D100, but locked unless you pay for the program or find the unlock code on the net) or in Photoshop.

Personally, my workflow goes something like this:
(1) shoot the RAW files
(2) import the CF card into the laptop using View
(3) when the shoot is over, rotate the images as necessary in View
(4) Batch file the shoot to change the NEFs from no sharpening to "Normal" in Capture
(5) Make whatever color corrections and expsoure (EV) changes necessary and batch file 'em into the logical groups using Capture
(6) Once everything is relatively close to where I want it, burn the NEFs onto a DVD as the master file

Remember that you can use Capture and reset the NEFs to the original shot by removing any corrections that you've used... Capture doesn't change the RAW file - it merely adds another modification list to the NEF file.

That help any?

BTW, Howard.. absolutely love the main image on your portfolio!

Wayne
- waiting on the D200 before I wear out my D100!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 02-01-2005, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

Normally sharpening is the last step done after resizing. The normal workflow would go like this:

Open the nefs in PS. Crop and adjust levels. Save as a PSD file. At this point you're done with the nef file. Make all your corrections to the PSO file. Resize, sharpen, and save for the web, which gives you an optimized jpg. You still have your corrected PSD file available to resize for other purposes like printing, etc.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Old 02-01-2005, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.37.21

I believe someone else answered your question on using Photoshop to save to JPEG so I won't address that..

As for in camera sharpening, I don't do it and don't recommend it.. Not all images need the same amount of sharpening and I don't want the camera making that decision for me..

What I do is shoot RAW, then use NikonView to batch convert to JPEG.. The images are sharper this way as opposed to shooting JPEG in the camera.. If any images need more sharpening from this point I do it in Photoshop although this is rarely needed.

So, why do I shoot RAW? If I need to change something I can always go back to the RAW file and fix it there.. It's a safety net.. Usually you won't have to do this if you get your exposure correct first, then set your white balance..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 02-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35356
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to jburian Send a message via MSN to jburian Send a message via Yahoo to jburian

jburian is offline IP: 65.206.46.218

I always shoot RAW with my D-100 with no sharpening, and have recently started using Nikon Capture 4.1 to do the RAW conversion. You can make changes to all the settings just as if you did it in camera. I've also compared the image from Nikon Capture to conversions using PhaseOne Capture One Pro, and Photoshop Camera Raw, and definitely prefer the conversions from Nikon Capture. I usually do light sharpening in Capture, then adjust it more in Photoshop. I've just started experimenting with Pixel Genius' Photokit Sharpener in Photoshop, and so far it does an Awesome job of sharpening. Also, I find that I get better image quality (sharpening especially) if I shoot with no sharpening in camera, then sharpen in Nikon Capture or in Photoshop using Photokit Sharpener compared to using sharpening when shooting.

Jeff
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jburian Visit jburian's homepage! Find More Posts by jburian

Old 02-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Lots of things will prevent you from saving a file from Photoshop as a JPG. Here are the three that are usually in my way:

1) You cannot save a file in 16-bit color as JPG. This is the one that I encounter the most as I shoot in RAW which produces 16-bit images.

2) You cannot save a file with multiple layers as JPG.

3) Even if your file has only one layer sometimes you have to do "flatten image" if you *had* layers and your remaining layer was not created by flattening.

Note that "Save for Web" will always work, but beware, as it changes your color gamut. Rolando explained this recently in an excellent post about the difference between the output from "Save As (JPG)" and "Save For Web."

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 02-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
jefferies

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.198.61.141

To save as Jpg go to Image on the toolbar, next scroll down to Mode then down to 8/bit/channel & 16 bit/channel. Check the 8 bit then you can save it as JPG.