Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How to make a CD autorun?
Old 01-28-2005, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.207.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anyone know how to make a CD open to a webpage built onto a CD upon inserting the CD into a computer? In other words, I've created a website on a CD for a client to view the images - HTML page, thumbnails, larger images, the works. All I have to do is open the HTML page and the page comes up. Now I want to go the next step and make it so it does this automatically when the client inserts the disk. One more thing - I have the webpage (all the parts) contained in a folder on the disk, with other material in another folder (not part of the image library).

When I burned the disk, I put the autorun.inf file in the root, and the folder with the webpage is called (oddly enough) "webpage". So right now my autorun file looks like this:

[autorun]
OPEN = webpage/index.html

I've tried it with the slash going both ways, but it doesn't work. I can hear the drive start up, but nothing. Actually, I test a regular software CD that also has an autorun.inf file, and it doesn't start by itself either. Is there possibly something on my WinXP machine that needs to be enabled to make this work? Anyone know for sure what the INF file should look like?

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: How to make a CD autorun?
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.0.124

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This might work:

autorun.inf

Code:

[AutoRun]
OPEN=ShellExecute.bat index.html

shellexecute.bat

Code:

start %1

I googled bathc autorun and this code showed up. I will have to try it in the morning as I would be interested in using it as well.

Chris Graphic Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36731
My Mood:

Paul_Ferrara is offline IP: 24.208.134.222

If CJ's suggestion doesn't work, I have a tiny EXE file I created for a friend of mine that will. Drop me an email if you need it.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Ferrara Visit Paul_Ferrara's homepage! Find More Posts by Paul_Ferrara

Old 01-28-2005, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

You may have the feature turned off on your operating system. Anyone can change a setting or their copy of windows to disable all autorun features.

In Windows XP, just go into explorer, and right click on the drive letter of your CD. Then select "Properties". You should get a dialog with tabs and the second tab will be "AutoPlay". Choose the appropriate settings there. Remember that there is a seperate setting for each type of CD, so you choose which type from the dropdown in the dialog and what to do from the window below.

But this will only help on your computer. Your client may have his computer set to not AutoPlay also. So you always have to give directions that say, if it does not automatically play, here is what you do.

By the way, that is just one way to change the settings. There are others.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

This may help
Old 01-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.34.40.167

this may help.
:-)

John

how to make an autorun cd (information)

an application to help do it and more.

Found an answer, here it is, thanks to all
Old 01-29-2005, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks to all you offered help. Taking a cue from your web-based solutions, and with a little google search, I came up with this site, which solved the problem with a free utility:

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninfeditor.htm

The basic autorun.inf file I came up with is:

[autorun]
open=opener.exe ..\folder_name\index.html

The webpage I wanted to open is inside a folder, if your index.html file, or the document you want to open is in the root, you don't need the "..\". (note - space after EXE, 2 dots before backslash.)

The opener.exe file came from that site (free download includes a creator tool) and must be installed on the CD in the root. They say that this file assists in opening a document in whatever application the file type (extension) calls for. Without it, and trying a dozen variations, I made a nice set of 12 plastic coasters. Or very small frizbees.

Also, I don't think you can really disable the Autorun feature in WinXP, unless you do a Command line procedure, which I would have remembered. I looked all over the place and its not even in the Help library. All the references to right-clicking on the drive icon are only for telling the drive what to do with a CD with certain types of files - and NO autorun.inf file - is put into the drive.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Auto run can be disabled ...
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't think you can really disable the Autorun feature in WinXP, unless you do a Command line procedure, which I would have remembered. I looked all over the place and its not even in the Help library. All the references to right-clicking on the drive icon are only for telling the drive what to do with a CD with certain types of files - and NO autorun.inf file - is put into the drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can, and many people do, disable autorun on Windows XP. One way is just a simple Registry hack as I mentioned earlier:

Got this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new value called: NoDriveTypeAutoRun
Type is: DWORD
Value is: 0x000000b1 (177)

Here is another registry method:
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Cdrom.
Double-click the Autorun value, and type 0 for its value. (If it's not there, create it by selecting Edit -> New -> DWORD Value, and type "Autorun" for name.) Log out and then log back in for this change to take effect.

Even simpler use TweakUI from the Powertoos set (free download) and toggle autorun off.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Auto run can be disabled ...
Old 01-29-2005, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks, but what I kind of meant was, it can't be disabled within the normal XP option tools. Going into the registry, or adding TweekUI (which I did on my W2K machine) is not something most users are familiar with, and I would have remembered diasabling the autorun in one of those methods.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio