Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question regarding strobes
Old 01-25-2005, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057
Comments: 0

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.242

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What I wanted to know is whether slave sensors and photo sensors work in same way. Reason I ask this is that I came across a strobe that says it can be triggered via photo sensor, sync cord and test button.

If photo sensors don't work the same as slaves can someone please explain to me how exactly it works.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cozanostra Visit cozanostra's homepage! Find More Posts by cozanostra

Re: Question regarding strobes
Old 01-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
What I wanted to know is whether slave sensors and photo sensors work in same way. Reason I ask this is that I came across a strobe that says it can be triggered via photo sensor, sync cord and test button.

If photo sensors don't work the same as slaves can someone please explain to me how exactly it works.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not used to the term "Photo Sensor"...I have called them "Slaves".. all this time... who knows, maybe I am using the wrong term.. ?

Anyway, I believe what they are talking about is the little triggering device on the unit...(like a monolight)... that detects the quick burst of light from a flash..or a strobe that activates the "dump"..and the lights exhausts it's charge of flash power....so quickly that it does this durring the exposure..

"dumping" the light can be done by the test button...which are often red,....or triggered with a wireless radio slave unit, a wireless infared triggering system, a hard wire connection between the camera and the flash, or by the built in slave...(if it is in a position to see the light)... I don't know of a monolight being built todat that can't be triggered by all these methods.. Keep in mind though, the built in slaves...(as I like to call them)...are pretty weak...and I'd suggest a "peanut" slave or something to that effect that you can attach to a cord that plugs into your light unit, and you can place this peanut slave thingy in the path of the light so it can trigger the flash..

Keep in mind though,...from the monolights I am used to working with, if you plug in a cord into the sync outlet on the flash, that will disable the built in slave..

JP

definitions
Old 01-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.207.25

JP - when you say "that activates the "dump"..and the lights exhausts it's charge of flash power" I think you're using the word "dump" in a misleading way. I think what you're saying really is, the the device, whether it be called a "slave" or "photo sensor", is simply the thing that senses the light from the other strobes, and triggers whatever strobe it is attached to. (Which is they way I would describe it).

Where I have a problem with your word "dump" is that I have only heard that word used to describe a second (or third) flash head attached to a power pack, that is pointed into a box or off-set, simply as a way to lower the output of the head you are using. For example, in a couple of my older Norman packs, the lowest power setting is 400ws in the low-power channel. If I plug in one head and use it on the set, and determine I need to cut the power by half, I plug an extra "dump" head into the same channel, and point that head somewhere that will not affect the set - usually unto a box or behind a wall. Doing this splits the power between the two heads, and gives each half the power of the channel's output. If I needed to make it even lower, I'd plug in another head. Now I know this is not practical (to use $500 heads to control output) but in my old studio we had access to lots of heads, and it was easier than bringing out the ND gels. Nowadays the new packs have dial variators that can turn the power down by three stops, sometimes almost to nothing.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: definitions
Old 01-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40262

kpfoto is offline IP: 68.81.128.58

That's funny how different terms mean different things to people. Maybe due to where we live? Who knows. The term "dump" to me means you are dumping the whole charge built up in the capacitors. We used to do this with the old Norman packs when you would switch power. You would change power and then "dump" it to get the correct reading. If I need to split a channel with another head to get less output, I call that "bleeding". I would "bleed" a head in the other room to get my output cut down.

kpfoto
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kpfoto Visit kpfoto's homepage! Find More Posts by kpfoto

Old 01-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.207.25

I've never heard or used the word "bleed" in that context (but I would know what it meant if someone used it), but I have used "dump" to also mean discharge the pack prior to plugging/unplugging heads or changing power settings. Depending on the age of the pack, and whether you're using a built-in slave or a plug-in, you might or might not need to "dump" the power, but its always safer to do it.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 01-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 69.150.254.234

I've always used and understood the term "dump" to mean getting rid of a higher charge already in the capacitors when switching to a lower setting. So if I have my lights set at 250 watt seconds of power and turn them down to 125 (or whatever) I hit the button on the back of the light to get rid of the charge. Because even if I have turned them down to 125 they haven't discharged the 250 load built up at that setting until they have discharged and then recycled up to 125 (the new setting).

I heard of using an extra head on a powerpack setup (to half the output for example) as a dummy head.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Old 01-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.51

[ QUOTE ]
That's funny how different terms mean different things to people. Maybe due to where we live? Who knows. The term "dump" to me means you are dumping the whole charge built up in the capacitors. We used to do this with the old Norman packs when you would switch power. You would change power and then "dump" it to get the correct reading. If I need to split a channel with another head to get less output, I call that "bleeding". I would "bleed" a head in the other room to get my output cut down.

kpfoto

[/ QUOTE ]

...Gosh....speaking of which, I knew an older guy.. ( + 75yrs)...who is a part of this org. out by me which caters to industrial photographers...anyway, he uses a term called.."The N-Word".....and the first time I heard this said so openly by him, I nearly fell off my chair!! To him, it isn't a racist term at all...and he was talking about how to add shadow into a lighted scene with a black sided reflector.. I've never used that term,...and never will today because I can refer to the technique as something much more PC that makes it undersatandable.. So I guess certain things mean different things to different people..

I was brought up calling certain things ...the things I call them today...if I'm misusing the term, please do as Andy did.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again!

JP

Old 01-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.51

[ QUOTE ]
I've always used and understood the term "dump" to mean getting rid of a higher charge already in the capacitors when switching to a lower setting. So if I have my lights set at 250 watt seconds of power and turn them down to 125 (or whatever) I hit the button on the back of the light to get rid of the charge. Because even if I have turned them down to 125 they haven't discharged the 250 load built up at that setting until they have discharged and then recycled up to 125 (the new setting).

I heard of using an extra head on a powerpack setup (to half the output for example) as a dummy head.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....now I'm confused...because that all sounds like what I've heard..... oh brother.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

JP