Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Dramatic Lighting...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.136.50.91

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

While this probably belongs in the photography forum, and we may move it there later, I wanted to start a discussion--which would include model talent in the images--about dramatic lighting.

Actually, what I think I'm after is this, I've seen too much "blah" what I call flat lighting, which to me is not really flattering to the model. Call it my style. I've been guilty of it too, set a light here, reflector here, and poof, very little shadows, or lack of what they teach in art class, chiaroscuro ; the interaction of lights and darks, shadows to create depth, not flatness.

We see in 3-D, cameras for the most part photograph in 2-D. With that said, here's a couple of images shot at my last Philly workshop in November. The Fuji folks who always attend my workshops bring film and cameras for folks to play with, so I tried out their Neopan, Acros film...which you see in the first image of Candace, and in the second image of Rebecca Teague...make-up by Elise...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Dramatic Lighting...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Always bet on Black

Member GG#: 35682
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to JeffBlack

JeffBlack is offline IP: 209.241.53.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am right with ya...I know a lot of my work is less than mainstream, but it often times proves to be a different look for the models.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JeffBlack Visit JeffBlack's homepage! Find More Posts by JeffBlack

Old 01-16-2003, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.136.50.91

Jeff,

Thanks for your feedback...mainstream or not, I just like to see variety, something different then the same ole stuff....call it creativity, or just having plain fun following your passions in photography...thanks, here's one more from Philly Workshop, model is Rebecca Teague again...make-up Elise...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 01-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35339

TimH is offline IP: 24.53.0.126

What's so great about mainstream. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Glad to see you back on the forum, buddy. As always, a sexy, beautiful shot.

How's life in Tampa? Take a look at my site when you get a chance. Major update over the past several weeks.

When you're unemployed...there are so many better things to do other than look for jobs.
Doh! Did I say that, or just think it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

What's new with you, Jeff?

Take Care,
Tim

View Public Profile Send a private message to TimH Visit TimH's homepage! Find More Posts by TimH

Coincidence? I Think Not
Old 01-16-2003, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35339

TimH is offline IP: 24.53.0.126

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I haven't been on the forum for a few days - been busy job hunting, working on the web site and some older images...

Come back to post this image and behold, Rolando, you've started a discussion that is perfect for it. Would love to know what you think of it. I like both of yours a lot, although it seems as though the upper left hand corner of shot # 2 got washed out and flattened in comparison to the rest of it - or am I just delusional?

Take Care,
Tim H
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TimH Visit TimH's homepage! Find More Posts by TimH

Window onto reality?
Old 01-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35197

Michael_McGowan is offline IP: 24.93.248.114

Rolando, I think this one belongs right here. It's all about seeing and picture-taking, not about equipment and such.

This one is from the first set I did of Elkie Cooper. She since has lost the piercings. It's done by window light. The little lip action was her idea, which I think helps the shot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael_McGowan Visit Michael_McGowan's homepage! Find More Posts by Michael_McGowan

a few from me.....
Old 01-16-2003, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.91.190.152

Light vs shadow (N)...
Old 01-16-2003, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.13.132

This is one some love and others absolutely, but I think the lighting falls into the area of 'dramatic'. It's also a good example of using light reveal and shadow to conceal.

After all, control of light is what its all about.

Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Flat is easy......
Old 01-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

.....which is why you see so much of it. It is also popular in portraits with the consumer.....because what they want is a totally visable face to show off to relatives.

Thus, the perception that flat is "good", and shadows are "bad".

Yet, photography is the rendititon of objects as patterns of reflected light. Since light and shadow must interplay to create a "natural" look that would be compatible with natural light, it seems obvious that "dramatic" light, or rather, light that contains a full range of tones with highlights and shadows, should be the most desirable light, as it will be the most complex way to render objects.

While there are no hard and fast rules, I doubt that many would argue against the premise that more complex imagery is usually better, because it is more interesting. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2003, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.68.39

I took A Peter Freed class at photo east..and thought it was cool to hear and see the even with large 5 plus foot defusion sources...you can still get some really dramatic light...I have used my 5 ft octodome( photoflex) placed in the 45 degree position and have gotten a great lighting ratio...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine